PDA

View Full Version : Small guy syndrome

cs
12-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Small guy syndrome. Is this legit or is this something the big guys make up to make us small guys feel bad about ourselves?

Being of a smaller build, I've always played a little harder, bragged a little louder and been a little more forthcoming. Is this false bravado; is it the little guy saying "I'm just as good as you big guys"?

Or is this the big guy trying to exert his size and his bullying nature by having to be the biggest and baddest on the block and trying to keep the small man down?

Maybe the little guy gets tired of the big guys trying to shove them around, so they shove back. When this takes a non-physical form the little guy gets accused of having small guy syndrome.

Ten foot tall and bullet prove.

Chad

[ 12-09-2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: cs ]

LeeG
12-09-2004, 08:40 AM
it's a phrase, an aggressive person is noticable no matter what size. But Jack Russell Terriers are another thing all together.

km gresham
12-09-2004, 08:43 AM
From what I've observed it's real, but not all small guys (I've always heard "short man's syndrome") have it. I don't really associate it with trying harder or bragging louder, but with a bullying, meanness usually directed at women or anyone who is subordinate to them in work or some other setting.

Many small guys are very comfortable with who they are and they know size is irrelevant to the kind of man one is.

You're as big a man as most and bigger than many, Chad. smile.gif

uncas
12-09-2004, 08:43 AM
This is why little guys use their brains....first! :D

Gresham CA
12-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Chad, I have several friends that are short and don't have "short man's syndrome". I have met some that do. I don't notice their height until I notice an attitude.

Ditto what Karen said about you.

ljb5
12-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Everyone likes to point out that Napoleon was 5'4" and driven to conquer Europe. Aside from his military campaigns, I believe he was urbane and polite.
Peter the Great (http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/peter_the_great.htm) was nearly seven feet tall, ruthless, loud-mouthed and violent. No slouch in the military campaign either.

km gresham
12-09-2004, 11:05 AM
I didn't know either of them. smile.gif

ljb5
12-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by km gresham:
I didn't know either of them. smile.gif Karen, you will find that there are a great many people and facts which you don't know.

Don't be tempted to use that as an excuse to not learn of them.

km gresham
12-09-2004, 12:00 PM
ljb, I didn't say I didn't know about them. I said I didn't know them. Has to do with my being born a bit to late to make their aquaintance. Just a small joke. ;) smile.gif

htom
12-09-2004, 12:03 PM
My experience of it (from the tall guy perspective) is that there are some (few, thankfully) short guys who try to start fights with big guys, and then whine "pick on someone your own size" when they get the fight they've asked for. I'm sure there is some psychological name for it.

km gresham
12-09-2004, 12:06 PM
"short man syndrom" is the psychological term ;) :D

Bruce Hooke
12-09-2004, 12:10 PM
When I've noticed it, it has seemed to be more coorelated with height than overall body size, but that may be just because I am looking for one and not the other. For the record, I am 6' tall and about 150 pounds, so I definitely fit in the beanpole category!

cs
12-09-2004, 03:02 PM
For sure I don't initiate trouble, but I don't back down and thus they tell me "small guy syndrome."

Chad

ps and thanks for the compliments.

htom
12-09-2004, 06:18 PM
Chad, I really doubt that you have it. You have real achievements to be proud of, which the syndrone victims don't.

JimD
12-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Chad, just wait til you start going bald :D

cs
12-10-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by JimD:
Chad, just wait til you start going bald :D Hey now! I resemble that remark!

Chad

km gresham
12-10-2004, 06:45 AM
Like your lawyer friend who knew all about "spec homes" these people know about as much about short man syndrome. It just doesn't fit in your case. Stubborn, maybe. ;) smile.gif