PDA

View Full Version : Moving parts hit organic material in Iraq.

Meerkat
03-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Bad, bad, BAD. I thought things might move in this direction, but really hoped they would not. For anybody that missed the news, there where simultaneous explosions in Karbala, Baghdad and Quetta, Pakistan. "The devastating explosions came on the climactic day of the 10-day Shiite mourning festival Ashoura commemorating the 7th century martyrdom of the prophet Muhammad's grandson Hussein" (Yahoo News). Hundreds dead and many more hundreds wounded. Attempts in two other Iraqi cities where foiled when the would-be marytrs where caught before they could detonate themselves.

"Man in the street" interviews, one and all, blamed the US. The US and some others quickly blamed al Queada, but offered nothing to substantiate that assertion. Several groups could profit by a civil war in Iraq, including the Kurds, the Suni and reactionary elements of the Shi'a themselves.

Bruce G
03-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Well gee, didn't you read the post the other week about how Alkeda (sp) was going to try to start a civil war? But alas there is no link between Iraq and Alkeda--- is there? :rolleyes:

johnw
03-02-2004, 10:38 PM
There wasn't a link with Al Qaida before, but there is now. Is that progress? Saddam wouln't let anyone compete with him for power. Now everyone is competing for power in Iraq. It will be tough to make it worse than it was before, but if Al Qaida has its way, it will be a lot worse. It's going to take some smart policy to make this come out all right.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-02-2004, 10:50 PM
These attacks have nothing to do with Al Qaeda. This is the shiites.
Muslims in general don't care for the west.

This is classic "oops, I don't really know what the hell we're doing in the first place" american foreign policy.
The first thing to realize is that as much as Iraqi's didn't like Saddam, they don't like americans either.

[ 03-02-2004, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Peter Malcolm Jardine ]

LeeG
03-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Bruce, before you go connecting dots,,because you have dots in front of you, check out this site. www.juancole.com (http://www.juancole.com) it'll help describe some of the context around the "dots".

Wild Wassa
03-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Bush's cronnies are getting rich from war profiteering, that's what this war is all about.

The attitude that the Administration has of, "how can this be happening now," and "we know who is to blame, they are foreign elements," just makes me ill.

I know who is to blame.

Warren.

Meerkat
03-03-2004, 12:30 AM
You misunderstood me Bruce - I'm not saying it either is or is not al-Quaeda, only that it was premature of US officials to point to al-Quaeda immediately after the event without doing any investigation. It's a good scare word for US consumption though...

I don't think anyone has shown compelling evidence that al-Quaeda is actually operating in Iraq. One intercepted letter does not a conspiracy make.

alteran
03-03-2004, 12:39 AM
"These attacks have nothing to do with Al Qaeda. This is the shiites.
Muslims in general don't care for the west.

This is classic "oops, I don't really know what the hell we're doing in the first place" american foreign policy."

And how do you know this pmj?

High C
03-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Whomever did it is to blame.

LeeG
03-03-2004, 07:44 AM
It appears there's enough captured people to find out who did what fairly soon.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/nightline/WorldNewsTonight/iraq_attacks_analysis_040302.html

Meerkat,,your title is somewhat offensive for this thread.