PDA

View Full Version : Heart in the throat this morning

Chris Coose
10-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Blowing like stink when I laid down last night after a full day of pounding in what is condsidered an open anchorage.
I make a turn at the end of my street and head down toward the mooring field, expecting the worse but anticipating Victoria to be riding OK.
"If she's just sunk at the mooring that'll be better than her pounding on the jetty all night" is my prayer.
All kinds of thoughts have been engaged the past 24 hours.
I should have pulled her sooner, it's crazy to risk such a beauty, no insurance, chafe, surrounding boats,...... noise, noise, noise in harmony with the wind in the trees and wind blowing through my attic bedroom on the top of the hill overlooking the bay.

She's fine.

Am I the only one who experiences these dawn dreads? (apologies to Ian in that I have likely triggered some grief)

[ 10-26-2005, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Chris Coose ]

ishmael
10-26-2005, 12:29 PM
The worry, now and again. Got a boat on a mooring, you'll have the heebe jeebees now and again.

Glad Victoria came through alright.

Years back Sacagwea was on a mooring in The Basin. About the best hole on the East coast. But when I was in Michigan on a walkabout, October, I woke in the middle of the night more than once.

"Trust in Allah, but tie your camel."

Gary E
10-26-2005, 12:40 PM
should I have doubled up on the bow and stern lines? Should I have added additional spring lines for when the wind switches to northwest? The time to do that is NOW...
You thought of it this time...but a little late..
Do it NOW so the new lines are there for next time... ALL lines should be of the max you can use ... ok so it looks like overkill in the summer doldrums... so what..

Noah
10-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Yep, same feeling here, though the winds haven't been that high for the last couple of days. Only gusts to the mid 30's. I did see 40 something the other day though...

3 mooring penants, all with chafe protection, and I check her every couple of days. Haulout is a week from thursday, so I'm hoping to get a good sail in this weekend.

brad9798
10-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Glad she's alright!

Those make for long night!!!

Doug Wood
10-26-2005, 02:04 PM
DRIFTWOOD is in the Handy Boat field so a bit better protected than you Chris but still, I was on pins and needles yesterday too. I drove over today and thankfully, she's fine. I'd be happy not to have another blow like yesterday...at least for another week when she's hauled out.

Glad to hear that VICTORIA fared well.

George.
10-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Our mooring is well sheltered to the SW - where most blows and swell come from. But it is not very well sheltered to the SE - I can actually see open sea on a narrow wedge of horizon.

Once in a long while - every ten years, maybe longer, maybe a bit less - there is a nasty blow from the SE, with swell. The last one was before Dalia was launched, but there were 3 meter breaking waves where her mooring is. I know that if it happens again I have to get her to another anchorage before the seas grow.

Whenever the waves come up at night and crash against the rocks, I wake up - the sound used to lull me to sleep, but now it makes me lose all hope of sleep. Wooden boat = no insurance.

John B
10-26-2005, 02:46 PM
I used to lay awake at night over it. Sometimes , I'd drive to the waterfront in the middle of the night or early morning and watch the crap get kicked out of my boat. When we fitted a motor though, and when we started to have trouble getting the kids and gear out to the boat in one dinghy load, we shifted to a pile mooring behind a breakwater in a marina complex. I look at the expense as part of my insurance :rolleyes:
That last storm complex we had.. one big steel boat broke away in the mooring field we used to moor in , and took out 8 other boats.

Thats EIGHT boats he destroyed or damaged.

Alan D. Hyde
10-26-2005, 02:48 PM
But, HIS boat was OK, right John? :D

Alan

John B
10-26-2005, 02:56 PM
fine Alan. ;) just fine...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid187/pba8cb583b35c7ec9b780c9a64690cf08/f2429d51.jpg
nothing a litre of bog and a couple of square feet of paint wouldn't fix.

2 of his victims in the background.

[ 10-26-2005, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: John B ]

Doug Wood
10-26-2005, 02:56 PM
There was a wicked blow here from the NE back in early June. A fair amount of boats in my field and others were either blown ashore or dragged their moorings and slammed into other boats. It was a real mess. A fairly new marina near Mr. Coose's mooring field was pretty much destroyed. Mother nature can be brutal at times and yes, granite ledge will always win in a duel with a boat's hull, no matter the material.

sbsbw
10-26-2005, 06:31 PM
how bout that feeling of dread of seeing the bottom of your boat after you hit something