Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NormMessinger
    • Feb 2000

Nero--CD burner software

I recently messed up Windows 98 so badly it came down to reloading the sucker. My advisors advocated going to Windows XP and I suckered. Actually it seems to be better in most ways. One problem is it will not play the CD Burner software I'd been using so I'm casting about for another system. Nero gets good reviews and I've tried the free trial version. It seems satisfactory mostly. However, ....

Question: Will it format a CD that will act as if it is another drive? That is slap in a formatted CD-R/W diske and write files to it, run programs from it, delete files, rewrite, etc. Danged if I can figure out how if it will.

Thanks.
  • High C
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by NormMessinger:
    I recently messed up Windows 98 so badly it came down to reloading the sucker. My advisors advocated going to Windows XP and I suckered. Actually it seems to be better in most ways. One problem is it will not play the CD Burner software I'd been using so I'm casting about for another system. Nero gets good reviews and I've tried the free trial version. It seems satisfactory mostly. However, ....

Question: Will it format a CD that will act as if it is another drive? That is slap in a formatted CD-R/W diske and write files to it, run programs from it, delete files, rewrite, etc. Danged if I can figure out how if it will.

Thanks.
    Norm, I'm pretty sure that XP has CD burning software already as part of the operating system. You may not need addional software. Have a look in the HELP section.

Bon Chance...

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
      Banned
      • Feb 2002

Comment

• NormMessinger
        • Feb 2000

Right, Joe. I've almost caught up. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

You are correct, HighC but it is seems rudimentary and I've not been about to get it to format a CD for use as a drive.

Comment

• Ross Faneuf
          • Dec 1999

You may have Roxio already, which works OK; it's a bit non-intuitive, but does the job.

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
            Banned
            • Feb 2002

Just a comparison I updated my Macs from os 9.2 to the TOTALLY new OS UNIX based OS X not even a hiccup all my printers and modems and settings were perfect. My internal CD & DVD burners work perfectly. Like the ad says PLUG & PLAY Sorry I don't know anything about your problem but I do know the solution to most Wondozzz problems. Hey has anyone hear anything about the rumor that Apple is looking to buy Universal ??

[ 04-16-2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Comment

• NormMessinger
              • Feb 2000

Thanks Ross. I had what became Roxio which worked just fine with Windows 98, ver 1 and they are up to 5.5 or better. Have you used it with XP. I read there was some sort of a problem so did not look into updating. I shall.

Oh DOS, why hast thou forsaken me....

Comment

• lumberdude
                • Aug 2001

Norm, have you been using nero this way in the past, or are you wanting to switch to a system like that?

Here is the reason I ask. When I first got my Dell 4 years ago, it came with nero software for the burning program. With the nero disk, also came bundled a software program called prassi packet writer. This was the software that enabled the burner to act as a big floppy drive. The bad thing was, it was very unstable and I would constantly lose data. I emailed and called customer service (nero that is) and at the time, the tech guy told me to kill the packet writing to cd's. It just didn't work very well.

In my case, he was correct. Unless they have greatly improved this type of writing to RW's, (which is a possiblity since this was 3-1/2 years ago) I wouldn't suggest using the burner this way based on my past experience.

By the way, I like the full version of Nero much better than Roxio, but I think it is a personal preference thing.

Hope this helps.

Kory

Comment

Working...