PDA

View Full Version : Now that you know what kind of dog you are...enneagrams

Jack Heinlen
03-05-2005, 09:20 AM
This is kinda fun. I measure a four on this inventory, which fits pretty well I think. You?

http://www.enneagramcentral.com/

Bruce Hooke
03-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Interesting. I'm another 4. I think that sounds about right.

Bruce Hooke
03-05-2005, 10:09 AM
But in reading the descriptions I also see a lot of 5 in myself.

And to those of you who think I'm being cryptic by just referring to numbers, well, you'll just have to take the test yourself tongue.gif or at least visit the web site.

Jack Heinlen
03-05-2005, 10:21 AM
I've got a five "wing" as the cognoscente call it, too.

Fascinating stuff. Well worth the ten or fifteen minutes.

P.S. More on the nine types. Seems to me we have all of them in various measure. The inventory is only intended to point you toward dominant styles of cognition and action. The beginning of free will. smile.gif

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/descript.asp

[ 03-05-2005, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

George.
03-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Five. Along with "Bill Gates, Scrooge, Buddha, T. S. Eliot, John Paul Sartre, Rene Descartes, Timothy McVeigh, Joe DiMaggio, Albert Einstein, H. R. Haldeman, Ted Kaczynski, Jacqueline Onassis and Vladimir Lenin."

Einstein, Buddha, and Descartes I can dig, Lenin I can endure, but Bill Gates? :eek: :mad: :D

Dennis M
03-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Some of those questions are just screwy, e.g., the justice/revenge one, as if they are moral equivalents.

BTW, George, I'm not surprised about you afinity with Lenin, see your post on the free will thread. tongue.gif

Jack Heinlen
03-05-2005, 11:18 AM
So Dennis, justice v revenge doesn't seem a valuable psychological juxatposition to you? Or do you object, in principle, to the asking of such questions?

You're s'posed to answer the questions, not argue with them. ;)

km gresham
03-05-2005, 01:07 PM
1 !

Ones you may know: Judge Judy on TV, Laura Schlesinger (Dr. Laura on talk radio), Hilary Clinton, Ross Perot, Ralph Nadar, St Paul, Martin Luther, Harrison Ford, Tom Brokaw, Pope John Paul II, The Lone Ranger, Martha Stewart and Miss Manners.

hillary clinton, Dr Laura and the Pope?! All the same? :eek: I hardly think so!

Meerkat
03-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by km gresham:
I hardly think so!This is not news! ;) tongue.gif :D

I'm a 5

George.
03-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Karen, you and Hillary Clinton are the same type?!

Oh supreme irony! :D

Jack Heinlen
03-05-2005, 06:38 PM
hillary clinton, Dr Laura and the Pope?! All the same? Karen,

I've not delved into this enough to know how they arrived at those lists, but to be of the same type doesn't mean you are the same in expression or opinion. It's a style of awareness, not specific as to the details of how that cognition lives in the world.

Jung had a highly developed typology that many are aware of through its extention into personallity testing with the Meyers Briggs inventory. Jung believed, and put forth some pretty good evidence, that we are born with certain tendencies of personality.

A metaphor. Our basic typology is our soil. Different kinds of earth grow some plants better than others. And one can work new material into the soil so as to encourage the growth of different things. But the soil one is born with remains.

huisjen
03-05-2005, 06:53 PM
1. Make it all better
2. People person
3. Goal oriented
4. About Authenticity
5. Brains
6. Danger seekers/avoiders
7. Childlike/childish
8. Power cravers
9. Peacemakers

Fine. But I already knew that I was a thinker and problem solver.

The thing about the dog survey was that everybody knows what a dog is.

Dan

Jack Heinlen
03-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Fine. But I already knew that I was a thinker and problem solver.
Ah, but were you aware that some other people aren't?

One of the fine things about this sort of exercise is seeing that other people, not stupid at all, are very different in their approach to life than we are. And as I said, we all have aspects of all the types listed.

Jung's work is much more detailed and involved. For those interested, Von Franz' book, Typology is worth look. Not a place to start actually. I can't claim to have digested it well. Hm, the work of Meyers and Briggs is worth a look.

Katherine
03-05-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm a 1, but so is Martha Stewart. :confused:

uncas
03-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Katherine...you can buy your ring yourself in no time and won't have to wait! Especially if you are in the same category as Ms. Stewart...Anyone who can hire a cook for the duration of her house arrest and pocket all that money...Well, you will be as successful too obviously.

Katherine
03-05-2005, 08:28 PM
If only. :D

uncas
03-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Well I seem to be a style 1...
I've seen worse descriptions of me...

Concordia..41
03-05-2005, 09:38 PM
3 - haven't figured out yet if that's good or bad...

Jack Heinlen
03-05-2005, 10:26 PM
haven't figured out yet if that's good or bad... You make me laugh sometimes Margo. How could that be bad?

The achiever is going to wonder if they are good or bad. In their lesser ways, often.

Maybe that was implicit. I suspect so. tongue.gif smile.gif

George.
03-06-2005, 06:05 AM
Jack, or anyone, is there an on-line Meyers-Briggs? I took that once, and found it pretty enlightening - as you say, as much for what it said about me as for what it said about others.

huisjen
03-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Jack Heinlen:
Ah, but were you aware that some other people aren't?That people can be motivated by power lust, or physical lust, or need for community, or be adrenalin junkies, or have other motivations is pretty obvious. I didn't need this thing to tell me something that obvious.

I don't understand the cryptic diagram.

I'm not sure that this particular catagorization system is useful to me.

Dan

Mrleft8
03-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Thgis thing's flawed.... It says I'm a 7, and I'm willing to accept that..... But it also says that "W" is a 7, and there ain't no way in hell that I have anything in common with him!

Jack Heinlen
03-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Doug,

It's a tough life, get used to it. :D

Dan,

I imagine your type is one that wants proof all the time. Believe it or not, other vibrant, intelligent people around you don't. ;)

George,

This isn't Meyers Briggs, but I just quickly took it, and it scored me the same as the MB. INFP.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/index.htm#intro

Amazing how those head shrinkers have winnowed it down to a few score questions.

George.
03-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Mrleft8:
Thgis thing's flawed.... It says I'm a 7, and I'm willing to accept that..... But it also says that "W" is a 7, and there ain't no way in hell that I have anything in common with him!7 = "childlike/childish"

Yup... W is a 7.