Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stan v
    • Jul 2001

It has begun

The dedication to cleanliness, boiling the water, correctly mixing the ingredient they crave the most. Sugar. Yes, I'm talking about Ruby throated hummingbirds making their way back as if guided by the knowledge that I, Stan V, will be standing by my post to protect and provide a place that is secure and safe to these combat fighters. I wonder if they think of me as combat fighters will the newly commissioned USS RONALD REAGAN CVN-76? I weep with that thought. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
  • km gresham
    • Mar 2003

Hummingbirds [img]smile.gif[/img] For several days following Hurricane Hugo my grandparents' yard was filled with the little critters. Blown off course, I suppose. They (the grandparents, not the birds) lived in the SC lowcountry not far from where Hugo came ashore.
    Karen

Comment

• stan v
      • Jul 2001

Karen, had your grandparents experienced these little jewels before? Hugo was a September storm, correct? Those storms do intefere with the birds migration south. Hugo was enormous, disrupted more than the hummers. OOPS, that could be another buzz word for the derelict duo. Stand by for the intrusion.

Comment

• Ken Hutchins
        Senior Member #6368
        • Jan 2003

I've had one flying in and out of the boat shed every day for the past month, just flies in a short distance, looks around, then departs. [img]smile.gif[/img] Seems like it is checking on progress on the ark.
        TALLY HO
        Ken

Comment

• stan v
          • Jul 2001

I understand their flying into garages. You must have something red in your storage area for the curiosity of the hummer. I know I rescue at least one each year that has flown into a neighbor's garage. I keep telling her to change the red handle (or paint it) on her garage door opener release. It's the only thing I see that would attract the bird. Rescue attempts with these kids prove quite productive. Being a no count conservative allows me to pick their pockets while I pretend to help the bird.

Comment

• km gresham
            • Mar 2003

Stan, my grandparents always had the little birds, but my grandmother said her yard was FULL of them. Hundreds. [img]smile.gif[/img] Hugo was tremendous - came in at McClellanville - my father's home. Left quite a mess. But it was one of the best shrimping seasons Charles has had - blew em all in from the deep water. [img]smile.gif[/img]
            Karen

Comment

• Ken Hutchins
              Senior Member #6368
              • Jan 2003

Stan, they must like the Jorgenson clamps, electric cords and air hose, all orange, close enough to red for them. Whatever it is I enjoy their flights. [img]smile.gif[/img]
              TALLY HO
              Ken

Comment

• stan v
                • Jul 2001

Ken, the orange is a strong attractant. Fascinating in flight, I agree.

Karen, hundreds? I could only dream of encouraging that many to come back to Stan V's flight deck. Once they find a feeder they will return each migration. Worth putting a couple of feeders out. Sounds like that's what your grandparents did! We will have at least 75 by the end of summer. Absolute chaos on the deck porch. I can only imagine what hundreds must look like.

Comment

Working...