PDA

View Full Version : A Good Music Find

Scott Rosen
12-09-2004, 06:37 PM
For those of you who are of a certain age--if you cut your musical teeth in the 1960's, then read on.

There are two types of people: Beatles people and Stones people. I'm in the Beatles catagory. The first two LP's I ever owned were The Beatles Second Album and The Beatles '65.

For years I've been looking to get the original Capitol Beatles recordings on CD, but no luck. I was surprised to discover that the four early albums I was looking for had only been released in the US and had never been reissued. All of the reissues of the early Beatles stuff have been, until now, reissues of the British releases. The British releases are good, but I wanted to have the same albums that I had growing up.

Finally, there's a reissue of the Capitol albums: The Beatles '65, Meet the Beatles, The Beatles Second Album and Something New. I got the set a week ago. I highly recommend it. It has both the stereo and the mono versions, so you can hear it exactly as you remember it. It's remastered from the original tapes, and the sound quality is superb. The Beatles Second Album is mostly material written by other performers, a lot by Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc. You get a good feel for the energy that the group had when it was still making its way through the clubs in Liverpool.

Great stuff.

Donn
12-09-2004, 06:44 PM
There was a very good George Harrison tribute concert on PBS last night. Clapton ran the show, McCartney and Starr, among others, were on-stage.

TGP
12-09-2004, 06:57 PM
I never did care much for the Beatles {Stones man here} until recently. I discovered a lot of their music is easy to play on the guitar.

bamamick
12-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Uh, I have been listening to 'Thick as a Brick' on my truck stereo. I guess that makes for another category, eh?

Mickey Lake

gary porter
Originally posted by Donn:
There was a very good George Harrison tribute concert on PBS last night. Clapton ran the show, McCartney and Starr, among others, were on-stage.You can buy that DVD at most music stores etc. A very good one worth watching many times over.
Gary

High C
I played a performance with the "Beatle Mania" guys from Broadway a couple of weeks ago. They were amazing, sounded and looked like the real thing. The audience made it spectacular. They screamed like school girls for 2 hours!

I feel like I've played with the Beatles now! :cool:

TGP
12-09-2004, 07:14 PM
What do you play JT?

High C
12-09-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by TGP:
What do you play JT?Percussion... Hit drum, get check... :D

Victor
12-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Were Rubber Soul and Revolver the only albums between those first four and Sgt. Pepper's? I still think they're the most interesting ones they did.

gary porter
12-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by High C:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TGP:
What do you play JT?Percussion... Hit drum, get check... :D </font>[/QUOTE]If you watch the George Harrison tribute or many others especially with Clapton you'll see..
Ray Cooper I think one of the best percussionist ever. He sometimes steals the show.
Gary.. :D

huisjen
12-09-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Scott Rosen:

There are two types of people: Beatles people and Stones people.
The Beatles played pop. Often good pop that trancended the fact that it was still basicly pop.

The Stones played blues. They generally did it well, especially considering they took way too many drugs to still be alive.

But The Who played Rock and Roll.

Dan

High C
12-09-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by gary porter:
If you watch the George Harrison tribute...Hey, I played with George just a couple of weeks ago! ;) :D

TGP
12-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Drums eh? :cool: I was thinking about buying a drum kit but the neighbors aren't quite used to my 100W guitar amp yet. I've had it since 1996. :D

Victor
12-09-2004, 08:55 PM
The Airplane was for those who graduated from Sgt. Pepper's. To this day nothing sounds quite like it.

Keith Wilson
12-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Which side of the Beatles/Stones divide is Jefferson Airplane?The Third Way, neither Beatles nor Stones. ;) We Airplane freaks were the Superior People.

Man, Pentangle and the Airplane - sure sounds like my youth! Wooden Ships, Blows Against the Empire, and Basket of Light . . . OK, I've got to dig out some LPs this weekend and wallow in nostalgia.

[ 12-10-2004, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Keith Wilson ]

SUE H
12-10-2004, 08:11 AM
The Beatles were definitely my preference, although I dug the Stones, too. In Jr. High, we girls faked British accents and just adored the Beatles. I played the drums in the Jr. High band and remember having one of those little funny Beatle dolls of Ringo.
I have the first release that they put out on our shores, "Introducing The Beatles" on the long defunct VeeJay label. My dad brought it home to me one day and I was beyond ecstactic! It's a collector's item now. I have mostly all of their albums, but when I moved to CA in the early 70's, my brother inherited some of my cooler ones, like Sgt. Pepper's.
When I graduated on from the Beatles, I went straight to Hendrix and even got to see him play live when he came to Memphis. As I recall, I was tripping at the time. smile.gif But it would have been a trip regardless, he was so great.

Garrett Lowell
12-10-2004, 08:17 AM
Hendrix and The Doors. But I have every Beatles and Stones album, or at least so many that I lost count. TGP, I agree: alot of Beatles stuff is easy to play. Until you try to play "Here Comes The Sun". You need rubber bands for fingers, or at least I do.

Mickey, you ever hear the Orchestral versions of the Jethro Tull songs? Great stuff.

SUE H
12-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Oh yeah, Jethro Tull - "Aqualung". Dark music, but great album. I've still got that one.

For just plain "feel good" music I love to play my old Sly and the Family Stone album, and Joni Mitchell's "Ladies of the Canyon" is about worn thin from years of playing.

Mike's getting turned on to a lot of the new CD's and re-releases, and pretty soon, we're going to have to build a separate room for all of the albums, tapes, and CD's. But one good thing, it's all getting more portable. Thank God neither one of us has any 8 tracks! smile.gif

And now, the switch over from tapes to DVD's. How many machines will we need before it all stops? Don't even get started about books, either. We've got a floor to ceiling bookcase and ran out of room on it long ago. How do mystics get by with just a table, chair and bed? :D

Garrett Lowell
12-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Ahh, the 8-tracks. Yes, all of my Tower of Power is on 8-track, along with my Boston and Zappa and Eagles Live. The 8-track player died many moons ago.

Keith Wilson
12-10-2004, 09:33 AM
It's not at all hard to find 8-track tape players on eBay - Look here (http://search.ebay.com/8-track-tape-player_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8QQsatitleZ8-trackQ20tapeQ20player)

SUE H
12-10-2004, 09:50 AM
I want to find a record player that will play 78's. I've got a bunch of my dad's old big band albums. Those things spin at warp speed!

Russell Sova
12-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Well this is certainly an aside to this whole conversation, but since it looks like we're mostly of that ceratin age does anyone remember that albums actually sound better than CD's? I heard a study on this from Radio Netherlands last year where every blind sound test they ran had the albums killing the CD's in votes as to which sounded better. I play the bass and it seems that the sound on CD's is what they used to call "flat response" as opposed to "round response" of an album. Also, there is a third order harmonic on albums that makes them sound more like live music. Are you aware that the first 100 previews for music are still pressed on albums? They are given to record company execs to preview the music for the reason that they make a better representation of the actual recording session. These preview LP's are very hard to come by. Isn't it something that the company execs hear albums and sell CD's to us?

Garrett Lowell
12-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Russell, I read somewhere that the reason it sounds better is the digital recording method can only take the sound to a certain level. There was a graph accompanying the article, and it showed Mozart being graphed from a digital recording, and from an LP. The highs and lows from the LP all came to a point, and the highs and lows from the digital recording stopped just short of a point, in a kind of flat line. That was a few years ago, maybe it's better now.

Garrett Lowell
12-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Thanks Keith! That Pioneer Centrex RH-60 is exactly what I used to have. Except mine never recorded. ebay is an amazing place.

SUE H
12-10-2004, 10:17 AM
Russell, you know the younger members are carbon dating us: "Hmmmm, by my estimates, these people must be 1000 years old!"

I just like the hands-on aspect of the old records. Of course, the scratches are always a problem, and don't even put a warped record on. Yowser!

I can't seem to get rid of my old collection. They've got a little retirement home back in my studio, and there's nothing better to paint by than the old records. I've got an eclectic collection of albums, tapes and CD's: jazz, blues, rock, soul, folk, grunge, classical, Reggae, comedy, pop, big band, soundtracks, children's music and blue grass albums. Music is a great accompaniment to life!

The advantage of CD's is that they take up less space. Someone mentioned sound quality, and that made me think about DVD's. The sound on those is awful, but the visual quality is great.

[ 12-10-2004, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: SUE H ]

Scott Rosen
12-10-2004, 10:57 AM
I used to be a vinyl snob, but not any more.

The better mixed and mastered of the CD's, played on my BOSE, sound lightyears better than vinyl ever did.

As for Stones and Beatles, I didn't mean that they were the ONLY two groups. I just meant that almost everyone favors one or the other, even if they like both.

I liked the Stones, but their music just doesn't hold up very well for my taste. The Beatles were more pop, that's true, but they also had a lot more musical and emotional depth and variety. And even Einstein couldn't come up with a better example for the idea that the whole can be better than the sum of its parts.

I liked a lot of other stuff too. But there's a special place in my heart for the early Beatles stuff--kind of like a first love, IYKWIM.

Victor
12-10-2004, 06:05 PM
I like my Tull, but a little goes a long way.

huisjen
12-11-2004, 10:05 AM
I'm only 38 years old. There was a time when I got rid of all my vinyl. (Young and Stupid) But now I have Katey, and Katey has vinyl. Katey has a turntable in the living room, and three more spares in the barn. Together we go to the dump. The dump has The Room, where people leave things they don't want any more, but which are too good to throw out. They leave vinyl records, some of which are crap, but some of which are very good. It's a good way to listen to old music that I'm not familiar enough with to actually pay for. Sometimes we score well. Heavy Horses. Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.

By the way, Katey would like to get her hands on the bootleg of The Dead playing Bucknell in Lewisburg. Anybody have that? (Not likely, or so I'm told.)

Dan

[ 12-11-2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: huisjen ]

imported_Steven Bauer
12-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Dan, are you guys coming down to Portland to hear the Dark Star Orchestra at the State Theatre on Friday? My friend is trying to talk me into going. Might be fun.

www.darkstarorchestra.net (http://www.darkstarorchestra.net)

Steven

carioca1232001
12-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Scott Rosen wrote:

As for Stones and Beatles, I didn't mean that they were the ONLY two groups. I just meant that almost everyone favors one or the other, even if they like both. In the mid-60īs/early 70īs, my fellow students at Londonīs University College were overwhelmingly Stonesīfans.

More so because the Stonesī broke with existing convention and were of a provocative, rebellious nature, than on musical considerations alone. it was through them that R&B began to be fashionable music in middle-class white households.

Their "Letīs spend the night together" saw scores of British parents calling up the BBC to have this piece banned from the airwaves :D

George.
12-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Scott Rosen:
There are two types of people: Beatles people and Stones people. Three types. Beatles, Stones, and Pink Floyd. I am in the last category. So are Airplane and Jethro Tull people, I believe.

George.
12-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by High C:
Hey, I played with George just a couple of weeks ago! ;) :D You most certainly did not, sir! :mad: :eek: :D