PDA

View Full Version : Music, My thoughts

cs
11-20-2003, 08:49 AM
Music, to some it is just noise in the background. To others it is what tames the savage beast. Music speaks to us, helps us keep in touch with ourselves, our kids, and even our parents. Music helps define a time and is a product of that time. Those that just think music is a noise in the background are missing out on a greater part of life.

And than there is differnt types of music. You've got the Blues, pop, hip-hop, hard rock, punk, country, jazz and the list goes on and on. If you limit yourself ot only one style of music you miss out on grander things. Music truely lets you see what is inside.

Music not only tells a story, but it manipulates your emotions. It is true that music can soothe the savage beast, but it can also move you to rage, or anything in between. How many times have you put in a song while driving and next thing you know you are exceeding the posted speed limit? Or how many tears have you shed into your beer while listning to that sad country song? Songs can express emotions on a much more intense level than words or gestures ever could. Example "Candle in the Wind" the Princess Di version.

To me music is a big part of who I am. I have no musicaly talent. I can't sing and I can't play any instrument, but this doesn't keep me from trying. I try not to limit my musical experiance to just one type. You may have noticed that by reading some of my musical post. I go from Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper to Hank Williams Jr. From Barry Manillow to TLC. From Stevie Ray Vaugh to Steve Vai. Each group speaks to me in a differnt way. Some can even move me to tears. I loved Clay Atkins version of "Bridge over Troubled Waters" but couldn't stand his CD.

Sometimes I find a song that strikes me in a very intinse way and it just kinda gets stuck in my CD player. I think to myself that I really shouldn't keep listining to that song over and over, but than I say why not? Its what I want to hear.

In short I love music and can't really define why. Maybe its the lyrics or maybe the music itself of maybe even the emotion that an artist puts into his music. And yes I can feel that emotion. Maybe its a combination of all the above. If you fail to open yourself up to music you may be missing one of the greatest things that was given to mankind.

Chad

[ 11-20-2003, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: cs ]

J. Dillon
11-20-2003, 08:58 AM
I agree with you about music Chad it sure does move one at times.

I sometimes wonder about what other wise would be a mundane activity that is enhanced by an appropiate music score. The epic "Lawerence of Arabia" comes to mind scenes of camels crossing the desert sand some how take on a grandeur with a score composed by Murice Jarre.

A truly great movie

JD

Greg H
11-20-2003, 09:13 AM
You is what you is..

I like all of it, well most of it...... some music isn't music, it's a "product".

cs
11-20-2003, 09:15 AM
Greg I think that is what happened to Clay Atkins. His version of "Bridge..." as sung on American Idol was from the heart and was an emotionally moving song. His CD on the other hand is a product of what the record label wanted him to sing and has no emotion.

Chad

edited for spelling

[ 11-20-2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: cs ]

Mrleft8
11-20-2003, 09:23 AM
The concept of music was made very clear to me last winter.
We were at our favorite guest house in Bacolet,enjoying the tropical goodness. A German couple that I had met a several years before showed up with guitars and typical German enthusiasm. The guest house owner had a Fender guitar and mini amp I had brought him a few years back... Beer and music, and singing.... There was also a pair of British women staying there (a little bit older than the rest of us), and a young couple from Norway. The older of the 2 British women was, for all intents and purposes deaf. She could hear a sort of fuzz, but no distinct sounds. She kept asking us to stop the music because it was keeping her awake. The other woman told us to just turn it down until the other fell asleep.... This went on several nights in a row, and we would try to turn the volume down when we saw the Brits come back from their dinner.... On the last night that we were there, the Norwegians, Germans, several dozen locals and the British women decided to have a going away party for us. The deaf one was convinced to join in with the band, playing a rattle stick (a stick with notches cut in it, that you rub with another stick to create a rattling sound). Suddenly she started smiling and bobbing her head in time to the music. A little while later she and her friend left, and came back crying. This was the first time in her life that she understood "music". By being involved, suddenly the noise, the jumble of fuzzy sounds she'd heard before, made sense, and she LOVED it! Later on she took me aside and thanked me for forcing her to participate.
Certainly the rum and coke must have helped loosen her up a bit, but I think being in the middle of a crowd of young people all grooving to the same rythms, and waves of sound, laughter, good vibrations allowed her to enjoy something that had just been another log in her path before.
My wife got an E-mail from her a few months later saying that she was now going to symphonies in London, and getting something of the same effect.

Greg H
11-20-2003, 05:40 PM
:D
That's it!

cs
11-21-2003, 09:14 AM
See music is the answer, not sure what the question is though.

Chad