X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clancy
    Senior Member #1458
    • Mar 2000

Google Earth

Google has a new version of their map software available for download. You have your choice of free, pay or pro versions. 3-D satellite images that you can pan, zoom, tilt and rotate. Over lay lat-lon grid lines and points of interest. Measuring tool and compatible with GPS receivers.
    Google Earth
    I see beauty in the mundane, others are blind to what I see ~ clancy
  • Bruce Taylor
    Eardstapa
    • Aug 2000

Great program!! Thanks, Clancy.

Comment

• Phillip
      Original Invisible Man
      • Nov 2001

Won't run on an

Sorry, Joe. That means I can zoom in on you but you can't on me!

Later,

Phil
      Happiness is worth waiting for!

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
        Banned
        • Feb 2002

Google Earth is a broadband, 3D application that not all computers can run.

Apple Macintosh computers are not supported at this time (but we are working on it).
        Soon Phil, soon

Comment

• Bruce Taylor
          Eardstapa
          • Aug 2000

I particularly like the roads layer.

This is a huge improvement over Google Satellite.

The 3D imaging gives you the feeling that you're snorkelling over the surface of the planet. Tilting, zooming and rotating are very smooth...a few rolls of the mouse wheel and you can plunge from 50,000 feet down to 300. The 3D modelling has a bit of trouble with buildings, but Google is adding "building" layers to take care of that in the larger cities (not Ottawa yet, as far as I can see....the Parliamentary Library looks like a hockey puck, and the Peace Tower is more of a Peace Pancake.

My neighbour's got too many cars behind that screen of trees...what's he running there, a damn junkyard??

[ 07-09-2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Taylor ]

Comment

• Bruce Taylor
            Eardstapa
            • Aug 2000

While we're recommending free software, for capturing screen images MWSnap is pretty slick.

Note the street names in this satellite pic of downtown Ottawa:

Comment

• clancy
              Senior Member #1458
              • Mar 2000

It turns out that this is the former Keyhole Corp mapping software. Google purchased Keyhole Corp and has made the software available to the public. There is a very active community of users who have their own forums and buletin boards. There are a large variey of custom overlays available for free, all designed by users of the system. Also a lot of people post about their experiences in finding different objects that were captured when the satellite images were taken such as ships at sea and military jets flying in formation.

bbs.keyhole.com
              I see beauty in the mundane, others are blind to what I see ~ clancy

Comment

Working...