PDA

View Full Version : ICE STORM

km gresham
01-29-2005, 08:14 AM
In the middle of one that is supposed to continue until 7 AM tomorrow. Sleeting now and a thin sheet of ice on everything. Hoping the power holds - doing laundry and dishes just in case. With gas logs we'll at least have heat. Charles went to Norfolk VA yesterday and is supposed to come back today - we'll see how far he gets.

Y'all stay warm out there!

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Ice storms are actually quite beautiful. Get your camera and take some photos Karen. I'll say a prayer for Charles safe return. ;)

km gresham
01-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Beautiful but deadly. Already reports of accidents all around. I'd prefer snow, but this is usually what we get. :( Not sleeting now - just freezing rain. I understand Georgia is closing some interstates.

C.Carini
01-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Reason why the hyways are down is 'cause everyone drives an suv or big rigs & to start w/they can't drive a darn to begin with especially the overworked underpaid long haul drivers who got into it when everything was deregulated

John Bell
01-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Not too bad here, at least as far as ice on trees. There's a lot of ice on the ground though. Here's Gracie clearing off my back stoop.

http://mistermoon.home.mindspring.com/DSC00878.jpg

And the kids feeding her even more ice. That dog sure does like to eat ice...

http://mistermoon.home.mindspring.com/DSC00880.jpg

[ 01-29-2005, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: John Bell ]

Memphis Mike
01-29-2005, 11:50 AM
I hope all goes well. The last bad ice storm we had here did millions of dollars worth of damage. This was in Feb. 1994. I went without power for 11 days.

We had a good one about a month or so ago but it was the kind that didn't accumulate in the trees. It instead stuck to the ground and stayed for days causing bad road conditions.

If it's sticking in the trees and power lines...watch out! :eek:

km gresham
01-29-2005, 01:14 PM
The trees are beginning to look pretty heavily ice laden. Temp hovering about 31. Charles called from VA and said as they got closer to NC it was beginning to get cloudy.

Don't dogs know about frost bite?! :eek: smile.gif

John Bell
01-29-2005, 10:03 PM
The worst tree to have in an ice-storm is a magnolia. The top of mine just came down and ripped the TV cable right off the pole. No more Weather Channel updates! At least we still have power (he says while touching wood).

We've about 3/8" of ice on everything, but it looks like were done with precipitation so it's not going to get any worse.

John C. Gresham
01-30-2005, 12:35 AM
I don't worry so much 'bout the cold, but damned if the power company doesn't take forever to cut our power back on when we lose it.

Here's hoping it stays on and I don't have to break out the Yuengling to get outta my boat like that fella had to get out of his car.

Nora Lee
01-30-2005, 05:06 AM
Hey Karen,

Charles is safe in Norfolk, I live just one hour south of there and the weather here is fine 42 degrees here now. Looks like we had a little rain sometime during the night, the road is wet.

It is funny how the weather happens, Hampton Roads gets more Ice storms than we do, it usually stops at the state line, right along the Great Dismal Swamp. We stay pretty moderate here on the Inner Banks, I guess it is because of all the water in our area, which acts as a heat sink. Whatever it is I am glad we usually miss most of the winter storms. Did have 4 1/2/ " day after Christmas though, but it was gone in a day!

Moved here from the Hudson Valley in NY just north of Joe CSOH in 1989, and don't miss the kind of winter they experience.

Keep warm and stay off the roads, those maniacs who drive those SUV's while talking on a cell phone can't drive on dry roads let alone ice!

Regards,

Nora Lee

[ 01-30-2005, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: Nora Lee ]

Memphis Mike
01-30-2005, 09:30 AM
How about an update Karen. Are you still with us?

Gresham CA
01-30-2005, 09:41 AM
Morning Mike. I made it back from Norfolk just fine. It snowed/sleeted a little on us just south of Fayetteville. We started to see ice on the highway signs and bridge rails about South of the Border(you know Pedro?).

Around here the trees are coated but not heavily. It's pretty but not dangerous. The roads are wet but they never froze.

Thanks for asking.

Charles

Memphis Mike
01-30-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm glad you all are OK. smile.gif

John C. Gresham
01-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Mornin', Dad...