PDA

View Full Version : the karma game

stevenj
10-11-2004, 09:06 AM
I didn't want to hijack cs's thread on karma, but I have some questions.

What part does humility play in karma? Would boasting of a good deed would negate any good karma?

I don't know to much about it....

thanks,
stevenj

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-11-2004, 09:13 AM
I should think it would, but I'm not sure why.

Maybe because it would be hubris? Pride comes before a fall, and all that?

NormMessinger
10-11-2004, 09:19 AM
My daddy-in-law used to say, "As it says in the Bible, 'He who tooteth not his own horn, the same shall not be tooted.'" That may be true to a degree in the working world but there is much to be said for a bit of humility and self deprecation.

Beowolf
10-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Don't tell me about self deprecation. I root for the Lions! I'm an expert at it.

Jeff

Jack Heinlen
10-11-2004, 01:05 PM
I've been re-reading a series of lectures by Alan Watts, Out of the Trap . Worth a read.

In it he comes out quite baldly and says that the Budhhist and Hindu mythologies about death, karma, and reincarnation have the same basis as Christian notions of purgatory and hell and heaven. They are, without making a definitive statement about their metaphysical basis, a means of keeping people's impulses under control. He also, very Zen, refutes the notion of eternal soul.

There is a worthwhile pragmatism in his thinking. To do well, to not brag, to be a good person seem reward enough, most days. Let the afterlife take care of itself. We've enough to worry about, though metaphysical speculation does serve a vital purpose in keeping people in line. ;)

You'd like the book, Steven.

Chris Stewart
10-11-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Jack Heinlen:
To do well, to not brag, to be a good person seem reward enough, most days.Hard to put into words, but would not that view, without even the thought of "reward enough," be better karma?

Dave Williams
10-11-2004, 07:57 PM
To be a good person is enough.

cs
10-12-2004, 06:16 AM
Aw, but Steven the reason is not to boast about your good karma, but rather give a good enough reason to see why you need some good karma.

Chad