PDA

View Full Version : House Painting Question

Steve McMahon
06-22-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm just about ready to strip and paint my house. It is about 80 years old with pine shingles. When I've done this in the past I primed with oil based primer and top coated with a couple of coats of latex with good results. The house is uninsulated so moisture induced peeling is not an issue. I will be stripping off the 80 years or so of peeling oil paint pretty much to bare wood using a pressure washer and a light coarse sanding after it dries.

My question is can I use latex primer instead of oil and still get a good job. I know the oil soaks in better because it takes longer to dry, but I hate using oil based paint. Does anyone have any expirience with just using latex on shingles in a cold winter / hot summer climate?

Thanks
Steve

N. Scheuer
06-22-2005, 12:37 PM
I once painted a cedar shingled house that had previously been stain-painted grey.

We wanted white. The Dutch Boy Dealer (back when one had to go to a real paint store to get it. (That's BBBS; Before Big Box Stores).

The dealer, an "old pro" in the paint buisness, said hisd oil primer would be best under his best latex paint. The outcome did not dissappoint, and lasted many many years.

After forty-five years, the house is still white. Don't know whether the present owner ever repainted it.

Moby Nick

Alan D. Hyde
06-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Why not STAIN it with a good oil-based stain?

Put on right, it'll outlast all here.

Alan

Chris Coose
06-22-2005, 12:42 PM
I'll bet you have cedar shingles.
I'd pressure wash strip them and then airless spray an oil based primer.
Light coats. I don't know what the stain lines are like these days but the lighter the base the less of it's going to shed off.
I've seen cedar with a heavy build of paint and that is an interesting effect but I wouldn't do it.

reddog
06-23-2005, 05:56 AM
Steve;
I'm a carpenter not a painter so take this for what it's worth.Be careful with the pressure washer as you can damage the shingles and force a lot of water into the wall system.Hate to say it but hand scraping is the prefered method for older shingles.Another thing to consider is that any paint over 10 or 15 years old is likely to be lead based and you should take remedial action to prevent it from contaminating the soil around the house.Your local Dept. of The Enviroment can give you some suggestions for this.
Oil based primer is still recommended but from what I understand the new latex based primers are just as good and durable.If you don't have moisture problems either should be good.Be forwarned that the oil/latex primer is a Chev vs. Ford issue.Everyone has an opinion.
Chris; chances are the shingles are either pine or spruce for that age here in Nova Scotia.Cedar would of come from New Brunswick or further afield.Kept painted the pine or spruce shingles last quite well.
Good luck with the painting Steve.It's a job I truely dislike.

Earl

Mrleft8
06-23-2005, 07:16 AM
Why try to cut corners? Oil based primer (BRUSHED ON NOT SPRAYED), and latex top coat (@ coats).

Gary E
06-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Had a painted brick house one time. Had to scrape and paint the woodwork trim and other areas high up on a ladder, and me at 260 plus at the the time, not fun. Did that one time, the next time it needed painting I called the aluminum siding man.