PDA

View Full Version : While Y'all are throwing Stuff...

Greg H
06-29-2004, 08:13 AM
I've been up here......
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid124/pa3180f6f86f9e8ae9dc54009ce805f35/f811561e.jpg
Working in the rigging.
Uss Constellation :D

Keith Wilson
06-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Hey, tell us what's up with the Constellation, OK? I recall some dispute about whether it was a ship from the 1700s or mid-1800s, and that they got enough money to do some extensive work. Looks like fun, definitely.

Wild Dingo
06-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Spare a thought for Greg? hes up there in the rigging of the Constellation? AND HE WANTS US TO SPARE A THOUGHT FOR HIM!!! :rolleyes:

New word creation time!! :eek:
wassleflamintosslemongrelwifffledoingflussslewhath aggleswatIwannasuffeletsacbedoing!!!

{clue... only every second word is a word ;) }

ggggggrrrrrrrrrr :mad: some fellas sure know how to make a fella jelous! :rolleyes:

oooh sure rub it in Greg go on mate just rub it in a tad more go on!!! :rolleyes: you... you... you riggin hippy you!!! :D

Memphis Mike
06-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Someone's lieing, that ain't Greg, that's Wild Dingo. :eek:

Wild Dingo
06-29-2004, 10:34 AM
nah mate aint me... I gots a bit more brown left in me hair than ol Greg! :D And Im going silver not grey like him too... And Im... shall we say a tad more chunkier than him probably shorter to ;)

And finally I aint never been up the mast of the constellation friggin in the riggin neither... muttermumblegrumbleandphart :rolleyes:

I just know theres an old ditty about friggin in the riggin :eek: ... damn this memory!!! :D

Greg H
06-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Me and my boat buddy Kim have been voluteering with some others on Saturdays. Every other weekend We work on the rigging with Kevin Zembower one of our forumites and whoever else shows up. The other weekends its sanding painting and things like that. We repainted the Gaff yard, it still needs to be re hung, it's about 40= feet long and a foot in diameter, swabbed the decks, blackened the deadeyes. We are in the process of lacing a new deadeye for one of the mainmast shrouds, tensioning all the shouds and putting new seizings. I'm learning things :D . Everything is on a massive scale. Seeing it all set up is one thing, but doing it is something else entirely! http://www.econ.jhu.edu/images/ussconst.jpg
It's a lot of work ;) But I get to hang out in the Maintop (or higher if I ever get the nerve)

The story I got on the Constellation is, that it was built as a small Frigate in the 1700's. Some time in the 1850's it was supposed to be rebuilt. The Navy wanted a new ship, but congress wouldn't go for it. So they salvaged the good parts, changed the stern, the deck and armaments but kept the name. Now it's a "Sloop of War".

This is cool... if I can get 100hrs in before the end of Oct. I can ride along on the trip from Baltimore to Annapolis....under tow.... no sails yet http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid124/paca732394c617dd7c1424a85461a420f/f8107171.jpg

[ 06-29-2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Greg H ]

Meerkat
06-29-2004, 12:59 PM
Hmmm... if Patrick O'Brian is historically accurate, the Constitution was built in the early 1800's and was a "super frigate" compared to what the British where employing at the time. To their ~1,000 tons and ~34 guns, she weighed in at ~1500 tons and had 44 guns. Cost was approximately $220,000 in ~1800 dollars.

Those big frigates gave the Brits fits in the war of 1812... ;)

Memphis Mike
06-29-2004, 04:26 PM
So where is it docked Greg? If in Baltimore, then you have been driving quite a bit if staying at home huh?

George G
06-29-2004, 04:44 PM
This is great! How do you lace the deadeye? eyesplice? seizings?

And what do you "blacken" it with?

And most of all, how do you tighten the shrouds? Hang the whole crew from a four-part tackle?

George G
06-29-2004, 04:46 PM
This is great! How do you lace the deadeye? eyesplice? seizings?

And what do you "blacken" it with?

And most of all, how do you tighten the shrouds? Hang the whole crew from a four-part tackle?

George G
06-29-2004, 04:48 PM
Damn! I repeated myself!

Damn! I repeated myself again!

Greg H
06-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Mike, It's an hour drive early on Sat. morning, but there's no traffic.

We used a mix of Turpentine, pine tar, linseed oil and I missed what the pigment was... probably a dash of whatever was around.

I'll have to find a picture of how the lanyard is laced through the deadeyes, I type too slow.... But it starts with a Mathew Walker knot!

The shrouds are wormed parceled and served at the ends, bent around a deadeye and siezed, three times in this case, (you can see some of the siezings in the photo.. they are not all done,

Hope I get the terms right ;) ... I know what I mean smile.gif
To tighten the shrouds (3" dia.).. rigged a 4 part purchase from the main top and hitched it to the end of the lanyard after it was laced through the dead eyes.

The tail was lead from the maintop down to the deck, through a pully at the base of the rail and back to the capstan ( a thing of beauty). They shipped the bars and heaved it round while we encouraged the line through the eyes with a conduit bending tool.. The lanyard is then siezed in place..

WoodenBoat has some pictures of the recent rebuild in #147. Most of the hull is now a three part lamination of Doug Fir and epoxy. This has allowed a lot of the original knees and timbers to be kept, because the strength is in the hull.

John B
06-30-2004, 02:32 AM
thanks for the insight there Greg. great to see.

Greg H
06-30-2004, 06:41 PM
She needs a lot of ballast, the cannons aboard are fiberglass,(except for a 20pounder parrot gun, set as a stern chaser) made to the same dimensions and hollow, but only weigh 500lbs each, rather than 21/2 tons. They would make some fine spud guns, though. :D And a set of Sails! I million dollars is what I hear.
A lot of the original fittings are now on the Constitution, they were snatched at the end of WWII, when they were tied up together in Boston.... a little bit at a time ;)

[ 06-30-2004, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Greg H ]

nedL
07-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Some times I think it's amazing I used to go up here, & with no harnessing at all. Used to be able to slide down the backstays to get down too (only did that from the lowers on down).
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid11/p4f8c2b197e37c85aaf2f16e579382d99/fe126667.jpg

[ 07-01-2004, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: nedL ]

Greg H
07-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Oh, jeez man :D I haven't made it up there yet.... one of these days tough
I looked at those backstays............ I want to see somebody do it first :cool: