PDA

View Full Version : Tomatillos

Jim H
12-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Lots of blooms but no fruit usually translates into a “lack of pollination” problem. Next time, when you see a bunch of blooms, take soft artist brush or clean blush brush and go from one flower to the other. Norm, this was the response from the local gardening expert Randy Lemmon. Looks like I'll have to work for those tomatillos.

Garrett Lowell
12-07-2004, 12:00 PM
Or, plant some very fragrant flowers nearby to attract some bees and butterflies.

Jim H
12-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Garrett, this is the first year I haven't seen any honey bees. The sage & lantana are usually full of them when they bloom.

[ 12-07-2004, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Jim H ]

NormMessinger
12-07-2004, 12:27 PM
I didn't plant any this year. Maybe next. I like to grow stuff but so little of the unusual stuff gets from the garden to the kitchen it is a lost cause. I'm thinking that the husk around the fruit is not part of the flower and therefore is not effected by pollination. That would account for my nice big, lush, husks with not a sign of a berry inside.

Jim H
12-07-2004, 12:39 PM
They grew like there was no tomorrow. I planted just two of them and had they born fruit I would have had quite a few tomatillos. I think next year I'll plant four and give them the run of the garden.