PDA

View Full Version : More about MP3s

cs
02-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Just where does the boundry lie on whether trading music is legal or illegal? I will say that yes I have taken songs of CD's and kept in MP3 format on my computer at work. This keeps me from having to carry CDs back and forth to work.

I've also created custom CDs from with these songs that I have "ripped" off of a CD. Now it is not like I'm trying to defraud the label or the artist, because I've already bought the CD or will probably buy it. MP3 gives me a chance to see if I like the music enough to buy the CD.

I've got a CD ripper on my computer at work that I had downloaded prior to all the legal mumbo jumbo. It didn't cost me a dime and it works great. I can no longer find a CD ripper on the Net for free and I need one on my home PC. Does anyone know of a CD rippper out there that is available free of charge?

Chad

John Bell
02-07-2003, 11:32 AM
I think making a copy for personal use falls is ok under the doctrine of fair use.

I travel with a lot of CD's all of time. I used to have problems with the discs getting damaged from being stuffed in an overful carry-on bag and would also occaisionally loose them by leaving them in a rental car stereo somewhere. So instead, made copies of all the CD's I want to carry, leaving the originals at home. Personally, I think that's OK, much like we used to do when we would tape record vinyl albums to listen to in our cars.

The problem arises when you give the music away to someone who hasn't paid for it, or worse, you sell it outright.

It's too bad the RIAA and the record industry can't figure out how to make digital music work where they and the artists can still get paid without imposing a copy protection scheme that makes the technology unusable. The longer they drag their feet on this, the greater the vacuum that forms in the marketplace. If they aren't careful, someone will fill it and cut the record labels out of the picture.

JB

Joe (SoCal)
02-07-2003, 11:41 AM
Umm I don't draw lines - the music industry needs a better plan. Current Technology makes the purchase of music conventionally inconvenient. I have an Apple Ipod it holds minimum 10,000 songs I don't have 10,000 CD's you do the math - I know nothing :D

cs
02-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Donn I downloaded that player and will take it home tonight and try it out. Thanks for the link.

Chad

Meerkat
02-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Not to be disagreeable, but RIAAs line that they where hurt by napster contradict that CD sales had been declining before napster became a big phenom. Post-napster, they're still in decline! The RIAAs biggest problems are that (a) people are tired of being ripped off for overpriced product, and (b) RIAA is afraid to embrace and take advantage of emerging technologies.

I don't think they win friends when they do their gestapo enforcement act, nor when they want to curtail any and all copying, legal or otherwise. If you want a clean copy of a CD for backup, in their view you should pay full price for a second copy, regardless of "fair use" provisions of copyright law which allow it.

Don't forget, that every time you buy a blank CD or tape in this country, you're paying a royalty to the RIAA in case you use it to copy music. That means, when you record your own music, you're paying the RIAA for the priviledge. Nice racket...

imported_Steven Bauer
02-07-2003, 05:15 PM
And I hate these new rules covering internet braodcasts! I was just reading about this on the www.wfuv.org (http://www.wfuv.org) web site. You can't play more than two songs in an hour by the same artist and lots of other restrictive BS

PatCox
02-07-2003, 06:38 PM
A surprising number of recording artists have no problem with P2P file sharing and in fact encourage it. Janice Ian wrote a column that was published just today in my local paper in which she said her sales increased significantly after she put up a website offering free downloads of her songs. Their are competing studies on the impact on cd sales, some say it increases it some say it hurts it. In my case I can say that napster definitely resulted in me going out and buying more music after having a chance to sample it through napster.

Meerkat
02-07-2003, 06:44 PM
PatCox; I agrees with you. BTW, you should see what else Janis Ian has to say about the RIAA on her website! http://www.janisian.com