PDA

View Full Version : Population, technology and ideology

Osborne Russel
06-21-2005, 05:28 PM
In college I had a Marxist professor who once stated that there was no such thing as overpopulation; and that what is described as overpopulation is only the result of capitalism's inherently inequitable distribution of resources. I asked him if he had ever taken a biology class; he hadn't. I then said that the concept of overpopulation is what ecology is all about, and that it is simply illustrated with a petri dish of agar and whatever bacteria innoculate it. He said that didn't apply to humans. Twas then I realized that ideology is only religion in a costume.

His ideology/religion puts him in the same camp as the (new) Reds, who also believe that there is no such thing as overpopulation. If you ask them how the current level of consumption can be sustained without exhausting the resources and polluting the habitat, they say, simple, technology and the free market can do anything.

What they believe in is underpopulation. Right, Sam F? They pound on Europe for her under-fertility; they yell about America and Canada going down the same road.

I don't get it. Why can technology and the free market cure overpopulation but not underpopulation?

[ 06-21-2005, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Osborne Russel ]

George Roberts
06-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Marxist is such a nice word.

Republican, Democrat, liberal, conservative, Catholic, Jew, Black, Hispanic ... I am sure they each have a solution to all of the world's problems.

TomF
06-21-2005, 06:41 PM
I had a (marxist) professor too ... reminded me that "ideology" is the set of ideas the other guys use. :D