View Full Version : Protecting those constituents....

George Jung
04-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Saw this little jewel in the NYTs; it would appear the good senator from Utah isn't watching out for the 'little people'.

How One Pill Escaped Place on Steroid List. the supplement, DHEA, is not classified as a controlled substance. In fact, the chalky white pills and capsules enjoy a special exemption under federal law, thanks to a bill quietly passed by Congress late last year

How One Pill Escaped Place on Steroid List

Published: April 17, 2005

ASHINGTON, April 16 - On the shelves of health stores across the country sits a dietary supplement that advertisements boast can "significantly alter body composition" - by converting to steroids in the bloodstream and, for some, helping pump up muscles like traditional steroids do.

But unlike every other substance in the steroid family, the supplement, DHEA, is not classified as a controlled substance. In fact, the chalky white pills and capsules enjoy a special exemption under federal law, thanks to a bill quietly passed by Congress late last year.

How DHEA, or dehydroepiandrosterone, came to enjoy special legal protections granted by Congress - at the very moment that steroid abuse was grabbing national headlines, and just months before Congress itself held hearings on body-building drug use in professional baseball - is a study in skillful political maneuvering, according to participants in the deal.

Sports officials had favored an overall ban on steroids and related pills, like DHEA, which is banned by the Olympics, the World Anti-Doping Agency, the National Collegiate Athletics Association, the National Football League, the National Basketball Association and baseball minor leagues

Senator Orrin G. Hatch of Utah, a Republican who represents a state where many dietary supplements are produced and a longtime champion of herbal remedies, felt strongly last year that DHEA must be kept legal and available as an "anti-aging" pill. Other lawmakers and staff members said he threatened to kill a far-reaching piece of legislation restricting the sale of other steroids, educating children about the dangers of steroids and increasing penalties for illegal use if his colleagues did not agree to include an exemption for it.

His son, Scott Hatch, is a lobbyist for the National Nutritional Foods Association, a trade association for the dietary supplement industry, and has represented supplement companies themselves, including Twin Laboratories, which sells DHEA. The elder Mr. Hatch said he did not think he had been lobbied by his son, and cited the legitimate uses for DHEA as his reason for fighting for it.

Utah, the home state of Senator Hatch and his son, is a nexus for vitamin and supplement production and distribution and the father-and-son Hatch team have a history of fighting for herbal remedies. The elder Hatch has played a leading role on two Senate committees that have oversight over the Food and Drug Administration and the Drug Enforcement Agency.

Senator Hatch has also in the past defended the herbal supplement ephedra, which has been linked with more than 100 deaths. He supported a federal ban of ephedra in April 2004 after the deaths were reported. A federal judge in Salt Lake City overturned the ban last week.

Senator Hatch, in an interview, defended the DHEA exemption, calling it "basically a good dietary supplement." "Andro is an anabolic steroid precursor, and DHEA is far removed from that, from everything I've read and everything I've studied," he said. In fact, DHEA is a first cousin of andro: in the body, DHEA metabolizes into andro and then into testosterone.

So Senator Hatch is willing to put not only the health of his constituents, but that of the entire country, at risk, to help his son; seems pretty brazen. I recognize he's keeping the PORK in Utah, but I'm surprised he got by with this one.

04-16-2005, 10:37 PM
it amazes me how in some cases people will argue some people have the right to do with their body what they want ( like pregnent women and pot users and other people don't yet I guess the part that makes it ok to take away peoples freedom is if a company actually sell the product.

my sugestion lets make america free again. make FDA an advirory group not judge and jury.
I read the efedra number of dead was 155 and this was out of How many millions used it?

today on the green house show they talked about the plant family efedra from which the suppliment was first found. one of the species is found in utah and was called Morman tea because it was used for medical purposes. effect include pain killing, scurvy fighting, and aboritive

I expect opium cost a lot less before the goverment baned it . were it not for goverment interferance I wonder what drugs would cost?

[ 04-16-2005, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: seafox ]

Cuyahoga Chuck
04-16-2005, 11:58 PM
You gotta' be kiddin'. Mormons awschew cola and coffee but can fill their systems with God-knows-what from the Yucca-Pukka tree or the Whatsis Bush? And they don't mind if the rest of America jumps on that same bandwagon?
Thanks but no thanks. When it comes to what goes into my mouth I am so far to the right of Sen. Hatch that I don't think we are on the same planet.
I eat dandelions and drink lemonade made with sumac berries because I know they won't shrink my gonnads or drive me to beat up the old lady next door. But anything that's link to steroids is a no-no in my book.
So if you and Sen. Hatch want to drink steroid potions that's your choice but when you suggest it's efficatious for the rest of America you're both beyond your levels of competance.
I always wondered why I found Sen. Hatch so mean spirited and this thread has tipped me off to what has made the good Senator so. Many thanks.

04-17-2005, 01:53 AM
Hmmm... I drink coffee and my testicles and the little old lady next door are both doing just fine - although, I must hasten to add, neither have, or ever will, meet the other! :D

Paul Fitzgerald
04-17-2005, 03:32 AM
George, do you ever go to quackwatch? I find it a good resource for balanced information on DHEA, "anti aging" and alternative therapies

George Jung
04-17-2005, 10:25 AM
www.quackwatch.com (http://www.quackwatch.com) is a pretty good, interesting site; I guess what got my attention was the spector of a US Senator promoting a very questionable substance without regard for his 'constituents', and apparently unconcerned about the obvious conflicts of interest. I wonder how he stays in office; but then again, he IS providing for job security in Utah. I shouldn't be surprised when I see such brazen behavior, but it continues to surprise me.

Seafox, your response was a surprise, as well. While I agree with your sentiments about the 'govn'ment' staying out of every elses business, I don't see how anyone could appreciate the availability of this drug. Did you read the article? While I can appreciate your view that folks can make their own decisions, I think it helps in that process if the drug in question is presented fairly, and without an apparent 'official stamp of approval'. Full disclosure should be the rule.

Paul Fitzgerald
04-17-2005, 06:57 PM
George, you know you are a politician when you start to believe your own bull****. Its like the law, in politics truth is a relative concept.

George Jung
04-17-2005, 10:45 PM
No doubt; and I'm fully aware of how politics works. But I'm still taken aback at how brazen this Senator is. Not even trying to be sneaky about the ol' nepotism. In private life, I think he'd get keelhauled. Don't have to worry about that in his position, apparently. "These laws are for you folks, And then there's these other ones for us".

04-18-2005, 06:24 AM
It was the "Cure of the month" for Autism back in the late 90's. I used myself as a guinea pig, before trying it on my son. Did not notice any difference, the bad stuff started coming out before I had a chance to try it on Owen.