PDA

View Full Version : A clatch of hypocondriacs

Jack Heinlen
04-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Back to TV. Agin, I'm coming from not having it much for the last two decades.

There is a strange plethora of ads for medicines. Did my parents suffer a weak bladder, erectile disfunction, balding, anxiety(heavy on the anxiety) toenail fungus, vaginal itch, twitching in public? Probably, but they never took medication for them.

I love the proviso on the erectile dysfunction ad. "Erections that last more than four hours are cause for medical attention." Um, I only took four o them pills, I had a date that night.

Weird, weird, weird.

[ 04-28-2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Any thoughts that our genaration are more hypochondriachal than our forebears may be instantly dispelled by picking up a copy of a newspaper or magazine from 100 years ago and glancing at the advertisements. Patent medicines predominate.

Jack Heinlen
04-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Good point Andrew. But those nostrums often actually had things worth buying, like opium, hashish etc. smile.gif The current ones are officially sanctioned, and something is lost.

I'm reminded of my bout with a kidney stone. If I'd been able to go to the apothecary and buy some laudenum it would have saved a bunch of money. Instead I ended up with an MRI, a pill, sonorous doctors, and the same effect, pain killers - let it pass. It did, but at the cost of two grand, rather than two bucks.

Katherine
04-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Jack Heinlen:
Um, I only took four o them pills, I had a date that night.

Weird, weird, weird.And to think, just last night on the other thread you were asking me to marry you and have your baby. Fickle, fickle man. :rolleyes: :D

The museum close to my parents has an enitre drugstore, circa 1880 or so, on display. If you read the bottles, it's amazing how many of the drugs were out and out poisons.

Jack Heinlen
04-28-2005, 10:20 AM
I don't need pills for that hon. ;)

Concordia..41
04-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Better living through medication ;)

Sounds like something good for a t-shirt or bumper sticker.

Bruce Hooke
04-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Modern pharmacuticals are indeed quite amazing at times and I dare say there are more than a few right on this forum who would not be here now if not for modern medicine.

That said, I've heard it said that the "erectile dysfunction" meds are mostly used by young men who want to be able to have sex when they are roaring drunk. I'm not sure how valuable a contribution to society that is. :rolleyes:

More significantly, I very much question that value to society of allowing pharmacutical companies to be advertise so widely. It seems to me that this change in the laws mostly helped the pharma companies promote their latest (and most expensive meds) to people who do not really need them or who could get on just fine with older and less expensive meds.

Katherine
04-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Jack Heinlen:
I don't need pills for that hon. ;) Why Jack, really. (I'd insert the blushing gremlin here if Scott would give us one)