PDA

View Full Version : pickled stones

Chuck Hancock
06-23-2003, 03:01 PM
Here's an interesting one. I live aboard my boat and as such, fresh water is a limited quantity. I have a Japanese water "stone" (well, looks man made v.s. naturally occuring to me) on board. If one is in an area of very "pure" salt water, say that from along the undeveloped coastline of B.C. Canada or SE Alaska, would you suppose you could use that water in lieu of fresh from your tank? I am assuming no obvious contaminants from algea blooms, river runoff, and the like. This is very hypothetical as I singlehand and have a 50 gal. tank capacity, but am curious.

NormMessinger
06-23-2003, 03:43 PM
Interesting question. As you apply salt water and it evaporates salt would be left behind. Since salt is a bit hygroscopic your stone would stay damp and wet out faster next time around. I'd guess you would eventually have salt chrystals form on the stone. Would that matter? They would wash off with the next application of water and are not abrasive enough to hurt anything. When you get home just soak it in fresh water to leach out the salt. No sweat.

Theoretically speaking of course.

Second opinion....

Chuck Hancock
06-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I agree. You'ld want to take care to rinse and dry whatever you sharpen, and not store the saturated stone in amongst your carbon steel chisels in the Tupperware container, but... Maybe I'll give it a try.

imported_Conrad
06-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Oh. I thought this was going to be a sick diatribe on gronicles posted by some southern hemisphere yahoo... tongue.gif

I sharpen all my tools on a D/A with a piece of 500 grit mylar paper and some soapy water. Efficient, but not very traditional.

ErikH
06-25-2003, 12:49 PM
Are you really taht pressed for h2o that you can't spare the tiny bit required to use a water stone? It's not like we're talking gallons here... and it's not as if you sharpen tools hourly (I assume). Before you take the chance of ruining you $50 stones, you should be damn sure you can't spare a 1/2 gallon smile.gif

and btw, if you're really that stuck, use a diomand stone--they require minimal water and since (unlike waterstones) they're not porous, they shouldn't get ruined by absorbing the salt.