PDA

View Full Version : Another mystery tool

Shang
04-18-2003, 11:24 PM
Appreciating that nobody with a mystery tool puzzler will ever equal Shane's stone age Moyal's instrument...

...here's a useful gizmo I picked up in a flea market lately. It's iron, about three pounds, solid, with no moving parts.

I think I know what it is, and what I can use it for...

Anybody got a clue...?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p6c0e0974daca4b73a97b939e498f8fb2/fc50adf5.jpg

(No, it's not a gronicle gauge!)

Bob at Compass Boat
04-19-2003, 12:14 AM
Hi,

The old farm boy in me seems to remember it as some sort of tool for fixing or working in the square link chains on farm machinery.

suppose it would make a good napkin holder.

Bob

capt jake
04-19-2003, 12:22 AM
Hey Shang, cool website!!! I like that!!

The tool?? A Bison grooming brush. ;) :D :D

Kris
04-19-2003, 12:22 AM
HI,looks to me like a sickle bar section tool

Ron Williamson
04-19-2003, 07:15 AM
Obviously it's a comb :rolleyes:
R

stan v
04-19-2003, 07:32 AM
Partially broken Texas fly swatter.

ken mcclure
04-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Ron Williamson:
Obviously it's a comb :rolleyes:
RAnd with the amount of hair left on my head, it would work just fine for me. tongue.gif

Mrleft8
04-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Kinda dark picture.... It's cast iron, so it's not a wrench type tool... Trasco makes molds for lead castings... My guess is it's some kind of foundry thingy... perhaps.

Scott Rosen
04-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Could it be a spacer for a tractor drive train/transmission?

Shang
04-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Gold star for Compass Boat Bob!
It's a "chain anvil" used for forming and repairing chain links.

stanvee's answer, "Texas fly swatter," is also correct, since down there they whack varments with whatever is near at hand.

NormMessinger
04-19-2003, 10:34 AM
It is kinda fun reading all the guesses but Bob has it correct. There is a slot in the "chain anvil" for several kinds of flat drive chain. A link is placed vertically in the appropriate sized slot and the next link is tapped down and off. It is used to replace, add or remove links as necessary.

Most of the drive on dad's thrashing machine, below, was with belts but there was a drive chain or two on the lower speed drives. The corn sheller had more chain particularly on the feeders.

I hope we didn't spoil their fun, Bob.

ahp
04-19-2003, 05:11 PM
I think it is great that we can discuss threshing machines on a wooden boat forum.

Shang
04-21-2003, 12:34 AM
"...threshing machines on a wooden boat forum...

You should have heard the engine on my Chris Craft when I first bought it..!

NormMessinger
04-21-2003, 08:37 AM
Now, Shang, don't be commenting on threshing machine sounds. At least not my dad's. The threshers used to tease him that he used more grease than the thing was worth. He had run copper tubes from almost all of the bearings that needed to be regularly greased to the top of the machine so he could service them without shutting down ever hour or so.

Shortly after WWII he took off the original flat steel wheels and put on rubber tires. The front tires were surplus B-29 tires and the rear a treaded tractor tire only because it was what he could get that was the right size.

I'm not sure if it was about the same time or earlier but I can recall when he replaced the babbet bearings on the crank shaft with ball and timpkin bearings so he would not have to pour new babbet every other year.

That was one well maintained machine and I suspect one of the reasons he threshed most of the wheat in that little corner of Kansas.

Shang
04-21-2003, 03:38 PM
"...pour new babbet every other year..."

How many people would even know how to do that any more...?

"...That was one well maintained machine and I suspect one of the reasons he threshed most of the wheat in that little corner of Kansas..."

And the chances are, if they picked up bread and cheese for lunches in Hays, Ellis, or Salina, they stopped at one of my grandfather's stores.