PDA

View Full Version : worst (or best ) christmas gift ever

jack grebe
12-02-2002, 10:22 PM
I'd have to think about the best for a while but the worst has got to be the year that I had 2 uncles die (one by stroke and one by heart attack)on the same christmas afternoon

LisaS
12-03-2002, 12:07 AM
The worst one was when I found where my parents had stashed the Santa loot and I opened everything in advance and re-wrapped it. The best was the year that Bill gave me a sapphire and diamond ring. This xmas without him could eclipse my worst one though...

Lisa

Joe (SoCal)
12-03-2002, 12:08 AM
Best - Tess (my daughter) last Christmas she was just old enough to get the full effect nothing like seeing Christmas through your child's eyes.

Worst - 8 Years ago when my mom died she was born in December and she died in December until I had Tess it was always a hard holiday - I still cry if I hear Sinatra sing minute waltz. My mom and I would drop whatever we were doing and waltz anytime that song came on.

[ 12-03-2002, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Concordia..41
12-03-2002, 02:42 AM
Worst: The year I figured out Santa wasn't really real.

Best: This year!

Lisa - I am so very very sorry...

Regards -
M

Wild Dingo
12-03-2002, 03:35 AM
Best?... When possumpoop said yes!!! got married less than 2 weeks later! aweflaminsome one that!Only took us 5 years to get it together then christmas asked her married early January sometime! HA!!! :D Done it again I always forgets dates I do!

Worst???... mmmmmmm actually never had a bad christmas always something to be happy about or find a smile somewhere... Christmas itself has some bad connotations from my history but to hell with that stuff... I always try to find some fun somewhere and normally do!

Lisa our love to you and yours baby! {and I mean that in the nicest possible way! :cool: } and a huge loving hug to you and your hoons from all of us here...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p170b5a18f7a742ce1dfbc590e76fce34/fcfa2903.gif

Mike Field sent Tiffany that a few days ago and we think you deserve it so here it is again! We know Mike wont mind as hugs are meant to be shared around!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p170b5a18f7a742ce1dfbc590e76fce34/fcfa2903.gif

If anyone else feels the need of a hug from downunder help yerself!!! :D

Take it easy
Shane

skuthorp
12-03-2002, 03:50 AM
I'm with Dingo, cant really remember a totally bad christmas, even when the relos were feuding the rest of us went bush for a picnic and a bit of fishing, place called Break'o'day on the Goulburn. Worst was a bushfire, call out came at 11.30am on xmas day and I didn't get home for 3 days. Small fire as they go and deliberately lit.

Chris Coose
12-03-2002, 06:55 AM
1987. Sobered up 3 days before. The kids put their presents in my lap and I shook them open.

Tar Devil
12-03-2002, 09:23 AM
This xmas without him could eclipse my worst one though...NO ONE could blame you for feeling that way...

...but I noticed something in another thread...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p627a226e9574219d9fb72b8b6517eed5/fcfe3949.jpg
Blessed is the Mom that can see that kind of love in her children's eyes!

Lisa, you will be in my family's hearts and prayers this holiday season that you may find unexpected joy in abundance.

Phil, Cheryl, Matthew, and Lauren

[ 12-03-2002, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Tar Devil ]

ken mcclure
12-03-2002, 12:27 PM
Worst - the one where I found out my (now ex-) wife was going to divorce me.

Best - the one where I found out my (now ex-) wife was going to divorce me.

imported_Conrad
12-03-2002, 12:54 PM
Worst- age 10, budding electronics nut, hid a radio mike in the tree, listened upstairs as my parents put out presents and discussed who was getting what. They found the mike, but out smarted me and turned the conversation. Next morning found a stocking full of coal (from the coal fired furnace) and no presents! The horror of it all! :(

Best, last year, first in three when my daughter wasn't in the hospital!

mmd
12-03-2002, 03:28 PM
Tar Devil, I know that this isn't the proper thread for this, but I gotta point out something that has been bugging me about your signature line:

"Remember, amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

True on both counts, but it was the ship's captain that ran both vessels into something bigger and harder than their ship. ;) :D

Tar Devil
12-04-2002, 09:24 AM
True, MMD... but if Biblical accounts are believed, the ark remained intact and all occupants safely disembarked.

Later,

Phil

John Bell
12-04-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by mmd:
Tar Devil, I know that this isn't the proper thread for this, but I gotta point out something that has been bugging me about your signature line:

"Remember, amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic."

True on both counts, but it was the ship's captain that ran both vessels into something bigger and harder than their ship. ;) :D My Bible says Noah was 600 years old when the flood came. Presumably, he spent a lot of time in the 600 years prior to the flood building the ark. I figure after a hundred years of boatbuilding, at some point you stop being an amateur and turn pro. Therefore the tagline isn't totally accurate, IMO.

On Vacation
12-04-2002, 09:37 AM
How many are still around, John? Isn't that what we look for in old boats when accessing the condition of them on how well they were built? ;)

Tar Devil
12-04-2002, 09:50 AM
If Noah spent 100 years building that ark, he either:

1) Found trees that were far less susceptible to rot, or:

2) Noah found a source for CPES.

Either way, seems we have much to learn from Noah.

Later,

Phil

John Bell
12-04-2002, 09:56 AM
That gopher wood was tough stuff! And the pitch from the gopher tree was the best preservative ever. Too bad the the flood rendered the species extinct... ;)

Enough hijacking this thread. The worst Christmas present I ever got was the a bad case of the flu. Spent the whole day puking... The best I ever got was an electric train set when I was about 8 years old. My brother and I had a devil of a time going to sleep that night then we woke up at 4:30 am. The anticipation was delicious.

JB

Gary Bergman
12-04-2002, 10:14 AM
We are right in there on holiday dread. My sister,mother father, and 3 pets in life all gone on holidays or birthdays this time of year. The apprehension and remembrance(good or bad) makes regular days sorta special.

Shang
12-04-2002, 12:22 PM
When our kid was about 12, he finished unwrapping a bunch of nice, but not too exciting presents from under the tree.
Then I mentioned to him that it was about time to let the dog out.
When he opened the back door...
...There, sitting in the snow with a red bow on the bow, was a 16-foot white-water canoe.

Mr. Know It All
12-04-2002, 10:28 PM
I've had some good ones and some bad ones but truly feel the best is yet to come.
Kevin in Ohio

rodcross
12-04-2002, 11:28 PM
The worst? I'm with John Bell on one of them. I've never been so sick, before or since as I was on that day. Another I can't, actually won't, describe as my wife used a line from 'Great White Hope' on me. She apologized a few years later for it, but it was a few years too late. In her defense, she would get very stressed at Christmas. I never thought it was a stressful time, but we came from different places.

The best present? Oh man! I'm not sure I can post this. I love Brussel Sprouts and I had no idea what they looked like on the vine, or tree, or bush, or even if they grew like little cabbages, one at a time. One Christmas, one of my kids gave me a stalk of Brussel Sprouts.

There have been other great Christmas presents over the years. The great ones have been when the giver has put a piece of themself into the gift. Anyone can give me a flashlight or a padlock. Going to the local vegatable stand and asking for Brussel Sprouts 'in the raw' mean't the child knew something about me.

Mrleft8
12-04-2002, 11:50 PM
I've had lots of worst Christmases. Each one worse than the last. Iv'e had lot's of best Christmases, each better than the one before.
Thank god I've never had a Christmas so bad that someone gave me a friggin' stalk of Brussels sprouts! ;)

Dick Millet
12-05-2002, 12:48 AM
My worst Christmas was 2 years ago. Me, the wife and our 18 month old woke up at 7:00 AM and went downstairs to find that the 3 older kids had already opened every present under the tree!

The best ones have been seeing the wonder on the faces of each one in turn as they get their first sight of the magic of Christmas morning.

Dick

George Roberts
12-06-2002, 12:54 AM
Never had a bad day in my life.

Never intend to.

Noah
12-06-2002, 11:30 AM
I think it was the trainset that I got at about 9 years. Very cool, and it still works great.

Rodcross, something like this?
http://www.morebutter.com/newimages/veggie2.jpg

Eric Sea Frog
12-06-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by George Roberts:
Never had a bad day in my life. Never intend to.That's good philosophy, though I'm impressed at such a record. Never missed an exam, lost a loved one or a job? What's the trick? :rolleyes:

Larry P.
12-06-2002, 11:55 AM
Best xmas, every xmas morning waking up to my loved ones.

Worst xmas, missing the ones that are no longer here.

rodcross
12-06-2002, 12:41 PM
That's a pretty funky photograph, Noah! Yeah, it was sorta like that. I should have kept it for a few days and taken a few pictures. Instead, it became a major veggie at Christmas Dinner.

I love Christmas. Now that I'm alone and all the kids have families, it gets a little difficult, but these last few years are transitional. It won't be difficult a few years from now.