PDA

View Full Version : Alteran -- I got the article you asked about

ljb5
10-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Sorry for the delay. I couldn't find an online version, so I had to pick it up at the news stand.

Vanity Fair, November, with Johnny Depp on the cover, page 338.

You'll probably dismiss it out of hand because it's in Vanity Fair, but I think you'll need to read it before you do that.

Maybe later I'll have some time to post some pull-quotes. But for now, I'll give you the short version.

On the morning of 9/11, Cheney was in a secure bunker under the White House, Bush was in Florida. Cheney issued an order to shoot down civilian aircraft.

People with Cheney and with Bush were keeping notes. Also, they keep seven sets of telephone logs so that they know when they talked to each other.

The 9/11 commission is convinced that Cheney gave the order before discussing it with Bush. (Cheney, of course, has no legal authority to do this.)

They are also convinced that Bush and Cheney lied to the commission about what happened. They specifically cite the difference between their account and the documentation.

They also think it is an important issue. Apparently, in the entire 9/11 report, this is the only time any information from Bush is cited. They believe this is why Bush and Cheney insisted on appearing together before the commission and not being under oath.

For the final version of the report, they had to negotiate with the White House the precise wording. Apparently there were some angry exchanges between Cheney and the commission because he wanted the wording to be more vague.

I have to say, I'm torn. There was a lot of illegal stuff going on on the morning of 9/11/01 -- and frankly I'm less upset about what the Cheney did than I am about what the terrorists did.

However, Cheney and Bush represent me. I expect my leaders to act legally and accountably. I don't think that 9/11, like the Reichstag fire, should authorize anyone to break the law or overthrow the chain of command.

More importantly, they must be honest with the American people. I can tolerate a government that makes mistakes in the heat of the moment. But lying about it afterwards if pre-meditated, self serving and damaging to our government.

ljb5
10-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Here is the relevant section of the 9/11 Commission Report (http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/911Report_Ch1.htm)

Among the sources that reflect other important events of that morning, there is no documentary evidence for this call.This is the call in whcih Bush and Cheney claimed that Bush authorized the shoot-down.

Others nearby who were taking notes, such as the Vice President's chief of staff, Scooter Libby, who sat next to him, and Mrs. Cheney, did not note a call between the President and Vice President immediately after the Vice President entered the conference room.
Vice President Cheney was asked for authority to engage the aircraft....The Vice President authorized fighter aircraft to engage the inbound plane....He again asked for authorization to engage. The Vice President again said yes.That was between 10:10 and 10:15 am.

Bolten watched the exchanges and, after what he called "a quiet moment," suggested that the Vice President get in touch with the President and confirm the engage order.Obviously, someone was uncomfortable with the Vice President over-stepping his authority.

The Vice President was logged calling the President at 10:18 for a two-minute conversation that obtained the confirmation. On Air Force One, the President's press secretary was taking notes; Ari Fleischer recorded that at 10:20, the President told him that he had authorized a shootdown of aircraft if necessary.Apparently the President was the last to know.