PDA

View Full Version : Darn paint, PIC

cturner
03-02-2002, 03:14 PM
Ok, I don't mind applyin' a bit of elbow grease but there's gotta be a better way to get this paint off, or do I have to get it all off?? Any suggestions? (Sanding, etc..)
Second question, I picked this boat up (for free) in Mahone Bay, anyone know what she could be modelled after? And final question, is it possible (design wise) to add a sail to this thing and put in a dagger board?..Thanks for the help folks...

http://community.webshots.com/album/32340228gwDjrc

WFK
03-02-2002, 03:22 PM
heat gun and a putty knife. You'll get the technic down after a bit.

Mr. Know It All
03-02-2002, 05:29 PM
A very interesting boat and like Donn I'm interested the size and type of boat you have.WFK is right about the heat gun and scraper,It's the fastest method and easy to clean the dry chips up. Be patient, It takes awhile to get the hang of it. A pull type scraper works better than a putty knife. There will be some fumes (and possibly lead in the paint) so use good ventalation. Chemical strippers don't work any better and are messy, stinky and toxic. One of those Black and Decker Mouse sanders will come in handy when sanding the tight spots inside the boat. Hang in there.
Peace----> Kevin in Ohio

lumberdude
03-02-2002, 07:16 PM
http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v5/4/4/82/32340482QAAWpV_ph.jpg

Hope you don't mind me putting the pic on this post.

This design is very similiar to my boat. The lines are similiar, but the construction technique is completely different. I am soooo glad I didn't have to remove any paint on mine though. Only varnish stripping on mine. It came off much easier than paint would.

Keep us in pictures as you go, especially if you add a sail rig to her. I'd love to see that conversion.

I just noticed the fine looking canoe hanging above. Tell us about that. Did you build it and what construction and materials did you use?

lumberdude

[ 03-03-2002, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: lumberdude ]

Memphis Mike
03-02-2002, 08:10 PM
If the paint is not to thick, I would go with
a good stripper and I mean a good one and not something you buy at Home Depot. Check out
Jamestown Distributors. Apply the stripper and
using GOOD industrial strenght rubber gloves,
remove it with coarse steel wool and water. I really can't tell from the pic but it doesn't look to thick. I wouldn't worry about stripping the inside. Scrape off the loose stuff and use a
filler and repaint. After you have used the sripper and steel wool the heat gun will remove the rest. Good Luck!

[ 03-02-2002, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

Wayne Jeffers
03-02-2002, 08:53 PM
Chris,

Forget the chemical strippers. Most of them do nasty things to the wood. All of them make a big mess.

Use a hot air gun and one of those pull-type scrapers, e.g., 2 1/2 inch Red Devil. The hot air gun softens the old paint nicely without scorching. I recommend the pull-type scraper as the stiff straight-bladed scrapers tend to gouge soft wood.

The old paint may have lead in it. Therefore, do the hot air gun and scraper outside or have a good ventilation fan. You may need those brain cells later! ;)

It's a power skiff. I can't tell much more from this angle. You could make it sail, but not well. The hull is shaped for planing with a motor. The shape is all wrong for a sailboat.

Wayne

TomRobb
03-03-2002, 01:46 PM
A sail on an outboard skiff? :eek:

nevrdun
03-03-2002, 04:59 PM
I'd forget about the sail. What you might do is get another oarlock and maybe even another oar to go with it. You don't cover much water rowing in circles. Or move that single oarlock to the transom and get a good sculling oar. Or, or ---

PugetSound
03-04-2002, 02:05 AM
The boat looks like your basic partially decked fishing skiff -set up for power. The boat hull is definitely a powerboat type hull so any sailing you did in her would be indifferent at best. I wouldn't mess with the sail routine except mabey as something to run before the wind. I would recommend just fixing her up as is and not try to change her. The oarlocks are a nice backup in case of engine failure.

The design of the boat reminds me of a partially decked 16' fishermens skiff design called "Camper" by Ed Monk (first published in his book "How to Build Wooden Boats" in 1934).

As for the paint removal, well you have all of the advice you need so I'll leave you with this: If it ain't broke, don't fix it; if the paint is all that hard to take off then it is still doing its' job.