PDA

View Full Version : New year's oysters

Mrleft8
12-30-2004, 09:23 AM
My Grandfather had a firm belief that the new year didn't start until the oysters were served. He grew up in/around Richmond, Va. so he initially thought that Chesapeak bay "ersters" were the best.... Until he tried a shelf of Long Island Sound "osters". From that point on he would sheepishly admit that he'd been misguided in his opinion about oysters. Of course, now that a large portion of the oyster beds have been destroyed by pollution, oysters are even more expensive than they used to be, but I still see them, every year in the seafood case at the store right around Christmas, through the first week in January. Disgusting looking, foul feeling, delicsious tasting....Who on earth ever thougt to try eating one of these things in the first place?

imported_Dutch
12-30-2004, 09:26 AM
if youre eating those insipid monsters out of the gulf of mexico i feel sorry for you

km gresham
12-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Oyster Pie for Christmas dinner every year.

Saltines, salt and pepper, egg and milk mixed together and poured over the crushed crackers and oysters. Baked till golden brown on top. Wonderful!

imported_Dutch
12-30-2004, 10:09 AM
never tried that recipe with egg karen, but make it every thanksgiving

km gresham
12-30-2004, 10:11 AM
I don't think Momma used eggs either, but the recipe I found included them and it just makes it richer, I guess. Good stuff either way! smile.gif

imported_Dutch
12-30-2004, 12:36 PM
if forgot-- i add about a stick and a half of melted butter to the mix- that must be taking the place of the egg

km gresham
12-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Oops - no we add a stick of butter too. "dot the top of the oysters with butter". The eggs are extra fat and calories. Good for the soul, maybe not so much for the heart and arteries - but it's once a year. smile.gif

Gary E
12-30-2004, 01:11 PM
Who on earth ever thougt to try eating one of these things in the first place? Now that reminds me of me...
Growing up in the midwest far from any fresh seafood, those critters had to be flown in, and when I was a kid Mom and Dad would take the family to the Oyster house.. all of us got fried oysters except Mom... she loved them raw.. I looked at them and said yuck, no way..

Now fast forward about 15 yrs... I am now in a customers plant installing a machine when the District sales mgr for my company says.. Ok..we all go to lunch... great smile.gif The others order drinks and then someone says oysters on the half shell?.. lots of yeah sure...so I agreed..(not knowing what that was) ... uhhhh here comes those slimy critters and set right down in front of me... ohh now what...I decided that if the rest of those guys could eat them, so could I... I downed the beer and started on them, bigest mistake I ever made... from then on the oyster population was in real trouble, I loved them..