PDA

View Full Version : MMMmmmm Mulled Wine

D
11-24-2002, 10:51 AM
Our neighbors told us about something they enjoy during the holidays called Mulled (sp) Wine. She wasn't sure of the recipe so I figured since you guys knew so much about good bourbon and scotch that you may know something about this also.
Hope my topoics aren't becoming some kind of trend........ :cool:

John E Hardiman
11-24-2002, 12:49 PM
Mulled wine is old. Most likely begun by the Sythians and the proto-Celts. Known to the ancient Greeks and serves as the base for hypocras, and in the middle ages as the base for possets or syllabubs, and the origin of the concept of the "toast". If you are really interested in sprits try to get a copy of "A Sip Through Time" by Renfrow, a collection of drink recipes from Homer to the 1920's.

Generally, mulled wine, or similarly mulled ale, is spices (usually cloves, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg) sometimes with herbs added to sweetened wine. The mixture is then heated, but should not boiled unless it is covered (to retain the alcohol), and then served, usually with a floating piece of fruit or a sweet sop (i.e. a toasted piece of sweet bread). WARNING: as heating makes the alcohol more volatile, it will be absorbed directly by the linings of the mouth, throat, and stomach, additionally the vapors will cause it to be absorbed by the lungs and by the nasal passages. YOU WILL GET HAMMERED VERY QUICKLY.

A recipe modified by me for the modern taste:
1 pint water, 1 bottle claret or other hardy red wine, 1 handful borage, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 pinch grated nutmeg, 12 cloves, 1 teaspoon mixed sweet spices (usually mixed ground cinnamon, allspice, mace, anise, and ginger). Boil the water borage, bay, some sugar, and 6 cloves. Heat the wine, sugar and spices in a covered pot. Add strained borage mixture to heated wine to taste.

D
11-24-2002, 01:33 PM
Thanks John! I think we'll mix up a batch after Thanksgiving.