PDA

View Full Version : 9/11/03

Joe (SoCal)
09-10-2003, 04:21 PM
This is going to be a hard day for some of us. Last year I went to 8:00 am mass and precisely at 8:46 the bells started to ring one ring for each of the 3,711 souls that perished. I helped Father Shane and rang the bells for about a hr and it helped me cope a bit. Tomorrow there is no mass and no bells in my church and I'm at a loss as to what to do. I will probably just go and say a prayer then I was thinking of taking Annette out for a sail and meditating on the day.

Mr. Know It All
09-10-2003, 05:48 PM
Sailing sounds like a good idea Joe. Whatever you do, don't sit around and watch TV.
Peace---> Kevin in Ohio

Mrleft8
09-10-2003, 11:05 PM
I'll be splitting firewood until about 11:30, then I'm taking my mother into the hospital to have more cancer surgery. After I get back from that, I'll probably split more firewood. Sometime around 5 or so, I'll go down town and shop for some dinner type stuff to cook for my wife. Just another day....

Bruce G
09-10-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Mrleft8:
I'll be splitting firewood until about 11:30, then I'm taking my mother into the hospital to have more cancer surgery. After I get back from that, I'll probably split more firewood. Sometime around 5 or so, I'll go down town and shop for some dinner type stuff to cook for my wife. Just another day....My God watch over you and your family, and guide the surgen's hands with care and wisdom.

R.I.Singer30
09-10-2003, 11:25 PM
Best of luck to yer mom Lefty.....Tis just another day.I guess because thoughts are in our hearts daily not just on the anniversary .

I saw on the news tonight that in a Pennsylvania they are melting down some of the steel from the trade buildings to put into the bow of a new battleship the U.S.S. New York.A fitting end in my eyes.Not that I feel we need more war machines but more as a symbol and a deterent,,,,if there is such a thing.?

Joe (SoCal)
09-10-2003, 11:40 PM
Sorry guys I somehow cannot be so cavalier. I just relived the whole experience watching PBS "A tail of Two Towers " I am filled with a flood of emotions a total mess. So much sadness. I will never get over this. To see the news tonight and to see Ossama Bin Laden F*&KING face on the eve of a horrible day.

As you all know I'm very prolific at posting silly photo's on this forum. I have held onto these photos in a box by my bed for 2 years. They were taken by a maintenance man in my building from the roof of my office on Sept 11, 2 years ago. I want those of you out there who don't live in NY who are going to go about there NORMAL day tomorrow to look at these photos and think about the people two years ago who by doing NOTHING more than there NORMAL day died going to work. The fathers that 2 years later will never hold there child the mothers and wife's that there only tragedy that day was arriving early for work. Do me a favor tomorrow think of them hug the ones you love and say a prayer. I will never forget this day. These photos of which I have a stack of 21 are taken from the roof of the building I was on my way to that very morning two years ago. This is a very personal tragedy for me.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p3ab29b7667bf94bf5124e712e2178ce6/fb1fc462.jpg

Concordia..41
09-11-2003, 05:09 AM
Joe - I was just reading a thoughtful piece on the long-term impacts of tragedy. Although a disaster such as 9-11 has never before been experienced, the piece did its best using examples from Vietnam veterans and victims/witnesses/family of the Oklahoma City disaster. One point of which was that the grief and post-traumatic stress were often amplified or complicated by the sense of a pressure to "move on" or "go about their regular business."

You're so energetic Joe, and putting us on notice of the need to remember is a good thing, but by next year why don't you do something to make a difference? Start now to get your church's policy to include bell ringing each September 11th; challenge 100 individuals to do 37 acts of charity; encourage folks to give $37.11 to their favorite charity. The list is endless and with your enthusiasm and motivation, there's no limit to the good that you could do.

The $37.11 thing came to me as I was typing this, and think what I'll do as my way of remembering is take the stack of requests for $'s I have sitting beside my bills and instead of the normal $20 or $25 donation, send $37.11 to my regulars (American Cancer Society and a couple of local animal shelters).

I hope your sail and the solititude bring you the comfort that you need. Take care.

- Margo

km gresham
09-11-2003, 07:43 AM
I don't think today will be completely normal for very many of us, Joe. We'll all do the things we usually do, but I don't think anyone in the country will go the entire day without a thought and maybe even a prayer for those souls lost 2 years ago - and for those who were injured, and all the families of those who lost so much in the attacks.

oldriverat
09-11-2003, 07:54 AM
It's funny how disaster brings people togethor from all walks. Things settle down and then folks go on about their normal business.

At the end of my day if I can look back and realize I have done something nice for at least one person, I've had a good day. I hope today grants me that opportunity.

nedL
09-11-2003, 08:16 AM
I found out the other day that just one town next to where I grew up in NJ lost 35 people that day. I don't know how many people my home town lost.

Joe (SoCal)
09-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Thank you Margo, you always make so much sense. I guess I had my ritual planned with the church service and bells. Last year they helped me cope I just found out yesterday that they were not going to do it this year. It hit me hard that and the news media's broadcasting OSB stupid tape along the drift in national focus to the war in Iraq and the stupid California recall. Hearing people talk about going about there NORMAL day just bothered me. I will obviously go about my normal day, simply because that's what we all have to do. I just brought Tess to the bus stop, walking back home I saw a deer grazing in my back yard I guess she was going about her normal day. I will lower my flag in front of my home soon and go to church and say a prayer and then I'm going to sail and meditate, I'm off today so I have time to reflect. Peace to all of you, sorry if I was curse I was emotional - it happens what can I say thanks for the reality check.

[ 09-11-2003, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Greg H
09-11-2003, 08:40 AM
Be here now.

Chris Coose
09-11-2003, 08:43 AM
52nd birthday - all day.

Colonoscopy at 10:30 AM.

Recovery - a couple hours.

Sail till 5.

Haul lobster traps on the way in.

Bunch of friends over to the house.

Glad I can take the day off. Glad I have the day to take off

Joe (SoCal)
09-11-2003, 08:47 AM
Happy Birthday Chris enjoy your sail Ill be joining you soon.

stan v
09-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
Happy Birthday Chris, enjoy your tail :D

Russell Sova
09-11-2003, 08:57 AM
My wife and I went sailing the day that the attacks occurred. We saw part of it on the news after the boat was hooked up then listened to it all the way to Lake Pymatuning. There was no one on the Lake. The terrorists want us to cave in, stop living and be as miserable as they are.

Keith Wilson
09-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Happy Birthday, Chris. It's mine too - 48th in my case. Damned inconsiderate of those guys to blow up things on our birthday, wasn't it?

[ 09-11-2003, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Keith Wilson ]

Scott Rosen
09-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Yesterday, I was trying to live in the here and now, pushing thoughts of 9/11 out of my mind.

Last night, I woke up in a cold sweat after having a nightmare that the office building I work in was shaking and collapsing, and the buildings around it were also collapsing. I didn't connect it with 9/11.

Then, driving to work this morning, I heard on the news about the various memorials for 9/11 and it hit me.

For me, living in the here and now, on this second anniversary of 9/11, means living with the painful memories of two years ago, spending a couple of days checking up on my friends who worked at the WTC, and learning about acquaintences and clients who perished.

Tomorrow will be different.

Alan D. Hyde
09-11-2003, 10:45 AM
The night of September 11th, I woke up with this additional verse to the Battle Hymn of the Republic running thru my head, so I wrote it down:

We have seen the Soul of Courage rise
From fallen steel and dust;
We have heard the Call of Freedom
And will answer as we must;
Though we come from ev'ry clime and place
Our hearts are joined in trust
That Truth goes marching on.

(chorus)

Alan

[ 09-11-2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]

R.I.Singer30
09-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by R.I.Singer30:
........ thoughts are in our hearts daily not just on the anniversary .......

:(

[ 09-11-2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: R.I.Singer30 ]

cs
09-11-2003, 11:03 AM
We each have our own way of remembering, honoring and dealing with the tragedy of 9/11. For some it is ringing bells and other it is splitting firewood or even others it may be a quite day of sailing or fishing. These all sound like great ways to deal with tragedy.

The important thing I believe is to not dwell on it. Don't let fear and grief rule your world. Yes it is important that we remember and grief for the events of that terriable day, but don't let it eat you up inside.

So ring your bells and split your firewood and catch me a trout, and once your done call your love ones and tell them that you love them and make sure you give them a hug next time you see them. And don't forget to move on and be like the phoenix and be re-born from the ashes.

Chad

rkrough
09-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Linda, Ron and Al, Three people I barely knew but now I can't get them out of my mind

I hate this ******* day..............

LisaS
09-11-2003, 11:24 AM
IF I KNEW

If I knew it would be the last time
That I'd see you fall asleep,
I would tuck you in more tightly
and pray the Lord, your soul to keep.

that I see you walk out the door,
I would give you a hug and kiss
and call you back for one more.

I'd hear your voice lifted up in praise,
I would video tape each action and word,
so I could play them back day after day.

If I knew it would be the last time,
I could spare an extra minute
to stop and say "I love you,"
instead of assuming you would KNOW I do.

I would be there to share your day,
Well I'm sure you'll have so many more,
so I can let just this one slip away.

For surely there's always tomorrow
to make up for an oversight,
and we always get a second chance
to make everything just right.

There will always be another day
to say "I love you,"
And certainly there's another chance
to say our "Anything I can do?"

But just in case I might be wrong,
and today is all I get,
I'd like to say how much I love you
and I hope we never forget.

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone,
young or old alike,
And today may be the last chance
you get to hold your loved one tight.

So if you're waiting for tomorrow,
why not do it today?
For if tomorrow never comes,
you'll surely regret the day,

That you didn't take that extra time
for a smile, a hug, or a kiss
and you were too busy to grant someone,
what turned out to be their one last wish.

So hold your loved ones close today,
and whisper in their ear,
Tell them how much you love them
and that you'll always hold them dear

Take time to say "I'm sorry,"
"Please forgive me," "Thank you," or "It's okay."
And if tomorrow never comes,
you'll have no regrets about today.

author unknown

oldriverat
09-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Happy Birthday Chris! smile.gif

Meerkat
09-11-2003, 12:35 PM
Where did the number of 3,711 come from for the final toll? It's a lot higher than the official range of 2,786 to 2,814.

Of course, 1 is too many.

ishmael
09-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Had I the heaven's embroidered cloths,
Enrought with golden and silver light
The blue and the dim and dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet;
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

Yeats

I don't know why this comes to mind; maybe all the dreams crushed on the day this anniversary honors; all the dreams, all over the world, crushed since.

I'm so tired of being enemies with others. But what will it take to tread softly on each other's dreams?

What it will take, and does take, and has taken makes me sick in the heart.

[ 09-11-2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

Dave Williams
09-11-2003, 01:42 PM
All the best to all of you.

Here's to kindness,
Dave

Chris Coose
09-11-2003, 01:43 PM
They found one growth to cut and burn.

On to the boat to sit and enjoy this glourious day with a legitimate high going on.

See if I can get a few lobsters for the party tonight or just change the water in the traps, as I've been doing for a while now.

Hope everyone's day works out. Especially those closest to this nightmare.