X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George.
    • Aug 2004

Is God compatible with Darwin?

Time for another Darwin thread.

This is an interesting article. It starts with the usual, but then goes on to argue that evolution by natural selection is, in fact, incompatible with belief in MEM religions.

Evolution vs. Religion - Quit Pretending They Are Compatible

Being right and yet so unpopular presents an interesting problem for evolutionists. Their theory has won over the world scientific community but very few of the citizens of red-state America, who decide what gets taught in their own public schools. How can followers of Darwin prevent the propagation of ignorance in places like Kansas, whose board of education just voted to rewrite its biology curriculum to do what President Bush suggests?

Many biologists believe the answer is to present evolution as less menacing to religious belief than it really is. In much the same way that intelligent-design advocates try to assert that a creator must be compatible with evolution in order to shoehorn God into science classrooms, evolutionists claim Darwin is compatible with religion in order to keep God out. Don't worry, they insist, there's no conflict between evolution and religion—they simply belong to different realms. Evolution should be taught in the secular classroom, along with other hypotheses that can be verified or falsified. Intelligent design belongs in Sunday schools, with stuff that can't.

This was the soothing contention of the famed paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould, who argued that science and religion were separate "magisteria," or domains of teaching. The theme appears frequently in statements by major scientific organizations and wherever fundamentalists try to force creationism or its descendents on local school boards.
    In a state like Kansas, where public opinion remains overwhelmingly hostile to evolution, one sees the political logic of this kind of tap-dance. But let's be serious: Evolutionary theory may not be incompatible with all forms of religious belief, but it surely does undercut the basic teachings and doctrines of the world's great religions (and most of its not-so-great ones as well). Look at this 1993 NORC survey: In the United States, 63 percent of the public believed in God and 35 percent believed in evolution. In Great Britain, by comparison, 24 percent of people believed in God and 77 percent believed in evolution. You can believe in both—but not many people do.

That evolution erodes religious belief seems almost too obvious to require argument. It destroyed the faith of Darwin himself, who moved from Christianity to agnosticism as a result of his discoveries and was immediately recognized as a huge threat by his reverent contemporaries.
    To be sure, there are plenty of scientists who believe in God, and even Darwinists who call themselves Christians. But the acceptance of evolution diminishes religious belief in aggregate for a simple reason: It provides a better answer to the question of how we got here than religion does. Not a different answer, a better answer: more plausible, more logical, and supported by an enormous body of evidence. Post-Darwinian evolutionary theory, which can explain the emergence of the first bacteria, doesn't even leave much room for a deist God whose minimal role might have been to flick the first switch.

So, what should evolutionists and their supporters say to parents who don't want their children to become atheists and who may even hold firm to the virgin birth and the parting of the Red Sea? That it's time for them to finally let go of their quaint superstitions? That Darwinists aren't trying to push people away from religion but recognize that teaching their views does tend to have that effect? Dennett notes that Darwin himself avoided exploring the issue of the ultimate origins of life in part to avoid upsetting his wife Emma's religious beliefs.

One possible avenue is to focus more strongly on the practical consequences of resisting scientific reality. In a world where Koreans are cloning dogs, can the U.S. afford—ethically or economically—to raise our children on fraudulent biology? But whatever tack they take, evolutionists should quit pretending their views are no threat to believers. This insults our intelligence, and the president is doing that already.
    Many of these assertions are contrary to what many of us evolution supporters have argued here in the bilge - namely, that science and religion are non-overlapping magisteria, and that one can believe in the Christian God and in evolution simultaneously. The author disagrees, and throws out some numbers as proof. What do you all think?

BTW, Sam, you are not welcome here. Save your insults for your own threads.
  • Andrew Craig-Bennett
    Who?
    • Aug 1999

Look at this 1993 NORC survey: In the United States, 63 percent of the public believed in God and 35 percent believed in evolution. In Great Britain, by comparison, 24 percent of people believed in God and 77 percent believed in evolution
    I'm gobsmacked.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• PatCox
      • Mar 2002

I read the article yesterday. Many of the discussions here on the topic are at a much higher level, it seemed to me to be somewhat shallow, and more intended to be provocative. The author seems to want a polarized debate. SamF has more interesting things to say on the topic, and better supported.

The quiet compromise that has worked for the mainstream protestants and all but reactionary catholics for so long is being purposely dismantled by zealots. For what purpose I do not know.

[ 08-11-2005, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: PatCox ]

Comment

• Tom Fetter
        Recalcitrant Heretic
        • Jun 2003

For my own part, I'm gobsmacked at how little overlap there is between believers in evolution and believers in God. That makes less than no sense to me.

And I find that, whether one believes in God or not, there's still much utility in the idea of non-overlapping magisteria. I do not think that science has the tools to help us decide what ought to be done, only perhaps what can be done. Informed by God or not, moral philosophy is needed to help us make such decisions.

t.
        If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• George.
          • Aug 2004

It may be a typical case of correlation not proving causalty. In Europe in general, most people no longer believe in God - at least in the traditional version preached by the major religions. And being well-educated, most people believe in evolution. Most people in England do not believe that invading Iraq was a good idea, either - I presume that has nothing to do with their agnosticism.

In America, where there is such a polemic over the teaching of evolution, it is not surprising that most people who were brought up to believe in God have not had enough contact with the theory of evolution to realize that it is correct.

Comment

• ken_nyus
            • May 2005

I think the whole focus is wrong. The idea of a Creator is not about "How did life start?", it is about "Why does anything exist at all?".

The "proofs" of a Creator do not deal with proving how life began, they deal with proving how anything began.

It is not about where did Man come from, but rather where did everything come from? Where did Time come from, Where did Space itself come from? Evolution says nothing about this ultimate explanation.

So I see no conflict at all between evolution and the idea of a Creator.

[ 08-11-2005, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: ken_nyus ]

Comment

• George.
              • Aug 2004

I do see one point where evolution and traditional religion are hopelessly incompatible.

Traditional religion holds that only man has a soul. Yet if man evolved from animals, then we must accept one of the following:

1) Man has no soul;

2) Animals have souls too;

3) The human soul evolved gradually, which would mean that it is subject to selective forces, and that animals have at least a primitive version of a soul;

4) At some point in our evolution, a mother and father with no soul gave birth to a child with a soul.

These are incompatible with traditional religion - particularly 2 and 3, which are the most plausible.

So it is not just an issue of biblical literalism. In order to become compatible with the reality of evolution, religion must not only shed its devotion to primitive creation myths - it must also shed its deep prejudice against all other life forms.

Comment

• ken_nyus
                • May 2005

The difference between Man and the rest of creation, AFAIK, is that Man is the only creation with: Free Will and a Rational Soul. These are the two attributes that make Man the only creation "made in the image of God".

And since the measure of your Free Will is the measure of your Rationality, I guess one could say the difference boils down to the "rational" part.

Traditional dogma, as I understand it, says that other forms of life have souls, that animate them, but only Man has a Rational Soul.

How does a Rational Soul reconcile with time-based evolution? I'm not sure, I'll have to think about this.

Comment

• Art Read
                  • Jan 2000

Just out of curiousity... What's so hard about accepting the idea that animals have souls? 'Cause we eat 'em?

I've known dogs that have had more right to go to "heaven" than I ever will...

Comment

• Tom Fetter
                    Recalcitrant Heretic
                    • Jun 2003

It's a good question, Art, and one to which I don't know the answer. If we understand the soul to be that spark of God that gives us life, that animates our material bodies, then certainly all living things have one.

Seems to me that being in the image of God needs to encompass more than that - self-consciousness, I'd venture.
                    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• George Jung
                      • Jan 2004

The arguments advanced supporting the premise of animals having souls seems predicated on the notion that 'what's good for the goose....'

Whatever made you think life is fair?
                      There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Comment

• PatCox
                        • Mar 2002

Yeah, It seems to me animals are aware, can experience happiness, and are capable of planning-imagining-forethought, in other words, thinking. Your dog barks at you, walks to the cupboard where the food is, barks at that, and stomps over to his bowl. That dog is thinking about eating, it can envision the whole process it wants to occur, for you to go to the cupboard, get the food, and pour it in his bowl.

If I have a soul, they do.

Comment

• Tom Fetter
                          Recalcitrant Heretic
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by George Jung:
                          The arguments advanced supporting the premise of animals having souls seems predicated on the notion that 'what's good for the goose....'

Whatever made you think life is fair?
                          Certainly not some of my more recent WBF experiences.

I don't have any way of knowing, of course George; just trying to reason things out. What do you think?

Comment

• Hughman
                            Senior Borborygnoramus
                            • Apr 2000

Taking bets. How many pages will this go? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                            Hey! It's MY Hughniverse!

Comment

• Osborne Russel
                              • Mar 2004

1. Soul or not, free will or not, the point is, whatever man is, he got from evolution, and is related to the rest of the animals, not set above them. It's a continuum, from protoplasm on up. And -- hang on to your hats -- it goes on. Sooner or later something "greater" than homo sapiens could arise in the ordinary operation of the same processes that produced the super primate in the first place. Will this freakazoid have the moral right to enslave us and eat us?

2. Except for a few screwballs, science does not pretend to have established or received principles of ethics, moral values, or aesthetic values. They'd be laughed out of town. But MEM'ers claim to have received and established science. They are the ones who started this fight. And it's not just a few screwballs. It's the majority party and their leader, the President of the United States. The Moslems attack us with bombs, the Christians attack our schoolchildren's minds. Now all we need is for the Jews to start WW3. What do they all have in common?

1. They are all fundamentalist MEM'ers.
                              2. They are tearing up the world, in their quest to vanquish their rivals and enslave everyone else, because God says so; and there is no evolution, He added.

It has an air of unreality. In a perverse way I'm comforted by going to the library and learning that it isn't some new thing from outer space because that's certainly what it looks like sometimes. It's just a set of bad habits people have fallen into.

Comment

Working...