PDA

View Full Version : Hardanger Faering

Frank Nickels
10-06-2000, 08:57 PM
I am restoring a ca 1890 Hardanger Faering. I would like to communicate with anyone knowledable about Faerings & similar boats.

Todd Bradshaw
10-07-2000, 01:00 AM
Two possible sources, if they are still building boats, might be Paul Schweiss at Clinker Boatworks (Seattle, I think) and Faering Design. I'm sorry, I can't remember the gentleman's name at Faering Design (Chris something, I believe), but he built beautiful boats in Michigan. There is a website: http://www.faeringdesign.qpg.com
where they sell copper rivets and supplies. It's out east, but maybe the same folks are involved. I think W.B. #28 had a pretty good article and you should check the book "Inshore Craft of Norway" by Oystein Faeroyvik (edited and translated by Arne Emil Christiansen, published by Conway Maritime Press in Greenwich) if you haven't already seen it.
Sorry to be so foggy, but I'm working off old memories here. Perhaps some of our fellow forumites have more current information.
T.E.B.

Bayboat
10-07-2000, 02:03 AM
The Faering Design gentleman is Chip Stulen. He specializes in Scandinavian designs and building methods. Some years ago he moved from Michigan to Vermont. You will find his ad in WB magazine.

Garrett Lowell
03-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Anybody know how this one is going?

Captain Pre-Capsize
03-09-2005, 11:57 PM
YEOWWW! Dug deep for this one, Garrett! That faering has had time to be restored and begin rotting again. :D

Garrett Lowell
03-10-2005, 07:29 AM
A boat that old being restored, now that I would like to see! I was just curious if anybody had any news.