PDA

View Full Version : Boat Types?

Chad Smith
09-07-2000, 08:38 AM
On the verge of sounding stupid I will ask someone to explain a little bit about the different styles of boats. I've figured out what a double-ender is. Right now I'm building a sharpie. What makes it a sharpie? I know that it has a pointy bow, flat bottom, and a rear transom. Other than this what makes it so. What maybe would be a good book that explains the different styles of boats and not just show photos (although the photos are helpful)?

Thanks
Chad

Ian McColgin
09-07-2000, 09:02 AM
Dredge out Chappel's History of American Small Craft (title may be approxomate) for a pretty good start, and review John Gardiner's "Building Classic Small Craft." The differences in small boat forms are best revealed in construction details and drawings. You'll see quick enough.

After than, you can branch to other sourses.

G'luck

rickprose
09-07-2000, 07:15 PM
Chad, "The Sharpie Book" by Reuel Parker, one of the great works on the subject. All I know is a sharpie is a skiff with a sailing rig, been a while since I've read the book.

Jack Heinlen
04-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Nice to see you here Rick!

A sharpie is a flat bottomed, narrow boat(hence the name) originally used in the oyster fishery from Florida to Long Island Sound. They are cheap to build, and if handled properly are quite worthy. They are similar to a dory, but broader. Renowned(notorious) for pounding into a chop when powered, but usually when there's a chop there's wind, and so it isn't an issue because they ride on their chine when heeled quite nicely. The Weekender I had the pleasure of sailing, Joe Dupere's, was a bit wet when beating. Part and parcel. It was a very gusty day.

In adaptation to pleasure craft they are the most boat for the money, bar none, though they are small down below because of the flat bottom.

Your Weekender, Chad, carries all the characteristics of a sharpie, and is a fun, small packet. Finish it and go sailing, you'll see what I mean.