PDA

View Full Version : No Place for Solitude (Rant)

Roger Stouff
04-28-2003, 08:54 AM
Pardon me. It's been a lousy weekend and I just gotta vent.

My world down here has been overrun and invaded. Every weekend and many days after work, I try to find sanctuary where I've always found it, on the water, but every time I'm foiled, emerging more frustrated than before. My childhood home waters have been tainted since the state built a huge park on Lake Fausse Pointe and the Corps decided to allow "camp" houses to be build on the Atchafalaya Basin Protection Levee which separates Fausse Pointe and Grande Lake.

Time was when dad and I so rarely saw another boat it was an occasion. But now it's like a convention every time I go to the water seeking peace. The huge sparkly bass boats pass me by without slowing. I'm sick of getting soaked by their arrogance and rudeness. I slow to an idle when I'm passing anyone coming the other way, or fishing where I'm passing, whatever. These morons don't care, they don't look back, they just barrel through and leave my little bateau bobbing in their wake. The jet skis are like bees, and this weekend, one teenage SOB actually purposefully sprayed me as I was making my way home. I tried to catch the little ****e to get his craft ID number, but of course, could not. I swear, if I could have gotten my hands on the little brat, I'd have wrung his neck.

I go to the ponds around here to do some bank fishing, but the people are shoulder-to-shoulder. Most of them aren't even really fishing, they're partying, and they leave mounds of trash behind. I carry a garbage bag with me to pick up after them, if it's not too gross. Half the ponds I used to fish are closed to the public now because the landowners were tired of the trash, too. Co'ktangi, the ancestral worship place of the Chitimacha, has become little more than a trash dump and I want to cry every time I see it.

Each time, I go home frustrated and mad. How I miss the days when what boaters were on the water were respectful and courteous. The days when they respected the waters, too.

The end result of it all is I'm feeling like throwing in the towel. No more boats, no more fishing. I can't find any joy out there anymore, and so I wonder, what's the use? Why build boats which only carry me to waters of frustration and misery? Why buy fly rods and tackle to go get swamped by bass boats with fools behind the wheel? I know how Norman Maclean felt when he saw his beloved Montana waters overrun by fishermen with no respect for him or the waters and land.

There's no place for solitude anymore here. In this huge river basin, there's no place to be at peace without the weekend idiots trampling all over me with their huge boats, jet skis, trash, noise and stupidity. That's why though I've been talking here about building again, there's that little part of me that has grown into a big part of me that says, why build another boat? Why bother? Why put myself through it?

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

oldriverat
04-28-2003, 09:05 AM
Roger, I understand your frustration but don't give up. I think it's pretty much a weekend problem. Try to get out more during the week when all the morons are at work. I went out on Friday and had a wonderful time. There were only 5 or 6 other boats out besides me.

Mr. Know It All
04-28-2003, 09:08 AM
There will be many better days on the water Roger. Things are not the same on Lake Erie, as when I was young either. Use your newspaper to educate the ignorant and please don't think you are alone in your feelings about this.
Peace----> Kevin in Ohio

Joe (SoCal)
04-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Sorry Roger :(

http://www.classicgaming.com/features/articles/70sroom/indians-thumb.jpg

Wiley Baggins
04-28-2003, 09:22 AM
Roger,

I'll second the newspaper as megaphone with a twist. I would put the "authorities" (political and policing) on notice. Make sure you include information on accidents, injuries and fatalities, and the damage to revenue that has resulted from pollution. All the better if you can get a fire under the risk management types and energize pro-environmentalists within the ranks of your fellow citizens. I am sure that there are (or should be) laws enforced to control all of the above. Good luck.

LeeG
04-28-2003, 09:29 AM
Roger, Building the boat or rod has it's own reward but "getting away" is a bit of an illusion because you come home the other 99% of the time. Good luck on finding peace on this issue.

Mrleft8
04-28-2003, 10:01 AM
Unfortunately it seems the bass boaters, and crotch-rocketeers, are in favor for at least 2 more years. One way to get them out of the water is death. Yup, death.... There is a lake in Trinidad that allowed jet-ski's, until Easter Sunday, when one got "out of control" (like they're ever "in control"). The rider jumped the ski.... and it just kept on going..... until it hit a 50 year old grandmother carrying a baby in the head... Killing her as she was walking along the shore path.... Now jet-ski's are not allowed on that lake....

whb
04-28-2003, 10:09 AM
Roger,

Are the invaders locals or from away. If they are weekend warriors from distant parts you may be able to motivate the local population to put in a 10 hp maximum regulation. That should effectively wipe out most of the idiots.

Howard

Scott Rosen
04-28-2003, 10:17 AM
It's the same just about everywhere Roger. When you're looking for solitude, you need to think not only of a place, but a time as well. I find that the quietest times are during the week. Some weekends I stay home simply to avoid the crowds.

NormMessinger
04-28-2003, 10:27 AM
Des Sleightholme had an article in Classic Boats a while back about an old crabber who kept getting sprayed by kids on crotch rockets (I like that term). One day other old timers thought he had gone plain nuts when he began setting his pots in very shallow water. He got his revenge.

Roger Stouff
04-28-2003, 10:31 AM
It's true, weekdays are better, but it's so hard with my schedule. Newspaper reporters at a small daily don't have much night life. We're covering meetings most of the time.

I don't know if they're locals are not. Probably. Fausse Point covers three parishes (counties) and the basin a dozen or more. Louisiana is notorious for, among other things, being lax on enforcement of water use regulations. The only time the Wildlife and Fisheries agents stop you is to check your fishing license and boat registration.

I dunno. It's like a want to go out every time I get the chance, but I dread it at the same time.

High C
04-28-2003, 10:39 AM
It's bad in this end of the state, too Roger. Lake Pontchartrain and the bayous are crawling with crotch rockets and other forms of high speed idiots. We have people anchoring and rafting together to party in the middle of narrow bayous, with kids swimming in danger of being hit by the other fools speeding by. Good luck getting a deep draft vessel around these flotillas. Pro/am crab fisherman illegally fill the channels and bayou mouths with poorly marked crab traps. Night time use of the lake is now impossible; one would certainly foul on the invisible crab traps.

I wonder how people of such limited intellect get the money for these expensive toys. These folks seem to have the newest and most costly boats on the water. :mad: :confused:

High C
04-28-2003, 10:42 AM
Another thought, Roger, the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's office is taking on more and more of a role in water use enforcement. They have several boats and have begun to police some areas more and more. I hate to see our waterways become yet another extension of big brother's reach, but, sadly, it is becoming necessary.

Perhaps you might talk with your Sheriff?

Tar Devil
04-28-2003, 10:49 AM
Many of the lakes in the area of Pennsylvania where I work have 10 HP limits... such a sweet move. Get the political system working for you, Roger. You're in the newspaper business... put it in ink and see what results you get.

For the immediate future, perhaps a change of venue. I don't use my boat in any lakes around home. I either wade the Broad River (too shallow and rocky for anything but canoes or kayaks) or trailer up to another small river an hour north of me which is big enough for boats, in some sections, but they can't follow me up river. Eventually I get shallow enough that I get out of my boat and wade, towing my boat behind me. There has to be some rivers like this around you, Roger. On the busiest holidays I can find long stretches of water where I see NOBODY.

Hang in there, Mate.

Later,

Phil

paladin
04-28-2003, 10:52 AM
...and another thought.......have yourself appointed a $10 a year Deputy Sheriff with the ability to write tickets...post signs about litter and such..illegal parking...noisy boats... and get the town council to authorize posting signs like "$500 for littering" etc....then have fun..
Worked for me........but then I'm an ornery son of a gun that don't like wimmin in big cadillacs or lincolns parking in handicapped spots 'cause it's closer to the door and "I'm just going to be a minuter".
...maybe it's my 1/8th Comanche showing...... ;)

High C
04-28-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Tar Devil:
Many of the lakes in the area of Pennsylvania where I work have 10 HP limits... such a sweet move. Get the political system working for you, Roger. You're in the newspaper business... put it in ink and see what results you get.

For the immediate future, perhaps a change of venue. I don't use my boat in any lakes around home. I either wade the Broad River (too shallow and rocky for anything but canoes or kayaks) or trailer up to another small river an hour north of me which is big enough for boats, in some sections, but they can't follow me up river. Eventually I get shallow enough that I get out of my boat and wade, towing my boat behind me. There has to be some rivers like this around you, Roger. On the busiest holidays I can find long stretches of water where I see NOBODY.

Hang in there, Mate.

Later,

PhilTardevil, I grew up in Brevard, and used to canoe the incredible white water rivers of the area. I can't imagine anything more beautiful than some of those rivers.

When the inner tube floaters became numerous, we used to joke about mounting bayonets on the bows of our canoes. Once a tuber bumped into me and pushed off my boat, pushed hard. The sumbich turned me over and sent me swimming down a class 2 rapid rapid without my boat. Realizing his error, he paddled furiously to the shore and ran for all he was worth into the woods. :D

Bill Perkins
04-28-2003, 10:58 AM
Yeah I think horsepower limits on small inland waters are the way to go .This can be enforced at the ramp .

Peter Kalshoven
04-28-2003, 11:00 AM
Roger, I can see why you're upset. What a beautiful looking place.
For everyone else, here's a link.
Roger's Neck of the Woods (http://www.crt.state.la.us/crt/parks/lakefaus/lakefaus.htm)
Next time I'm down that way, I'll have to come take a look.
Pete

Roger Stouff
04-28-2003, 11:12 AM
I'll try to put some print pressure on, but I doubt it will do any good. The state is broke, as usual.

Phil, I'm looking for them. Rivers here, you understand, are not solid-bottomed, and wading is impossible 99% of the time. But I'm trying to find places where nobody goes. I started building a 10' pond boat of my own design over the weekend, but got frustrated with it for the reasons stated above. I'm downloding aerials of the area, looking for sanctuaries. I haven't found much so far. Everything's connected in one way or the other to the main river channels, and therefore accessible to anyone.

Paladin, the sheriff stopped doing that here. Too many abusers. Yet another symptom... :(

Peter, come on down. Bring your gun.

Bruce Hooke
04-28-2003, 11:12 AM
I can certainly relate to your experience. It is very frustrating. My favorite way of dealing with this situation is to head for waters too shallow and narrow for the crowds I am trying to escape. Water too thin and narrow for motors will weed out a lot of the annoying types and there is often lots of wildlife and beauty to be found in such places.

Even on the coast of Maine, where things are still not that crowded in relation to much of the rest of the country, popular anchorages can be lacking in solitude for much of the summer. However, with a shallow draft boat that is small enough so that running aground at low speed in calm conditions is not a big deal, I can slip into beautiful hidden spots that the big boats can't risk getting anywhere near...

Tar Devil
04-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Tardevil, I grew up in Brevard, and used to canoe the incredible white water rivers of the area. I can't imagine anything more beautiful than some of those rivers.

When the inner tube floaters became numerous, we used to joke about mounting bayonets on the bows of our canoes. Once a tuber bumped into me and pushed off my boat, pushed hard. The sumbich turned me over and sent me swimming down a class 2 rapid rapid without my boat. Realizing his error, he paddled furiously to the shore and ran for all he was worth into the woods. Last year's drought put most of the tubers and canoe/kayak rentals out of business on the Broad River. There are still a few. A well placed 1 oz. spoon keeps them away if they get too close.

Wonderful rivers around Brevard!

Later,

Phil

Paul Scheuer
04-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Roger: Don't let the animals win. You may not find solitude, but you can keep them from taking over 100 %.

I'd suggest a good camara, so you can zoom in for the registration numbers, and maybe some incriminatig details. The best revenge is quiet. Cooperate with the authorities, and use your unique position at the paper to encourage others who think like you to not surrender. Good luck.

TomRobb
04-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Roger, we have several lakes around here that prohibit motors altogether, and some that have no wake except for certain hours. That seems to help a lot. The morons don't want to work at it so they go elsewhere. Are any nice places on Res lands where the tribe can control what goes on?
Between a hard-hitting journalistic assault, the Law, and motor restrictions perhaps you can find some solitude.
Walk in peace, Roger.

Jerry Sousa
04-28-2003, 02:08 PM
Roger, that does sound rather a tragic situation your home waters are in. Though, as the others have mentioned, there are things which can be done by yourself and others to heighten the public's awareness of the fragility of the environment. I know that you can do it.

You must have seen the movie "Southern Comfort" I believe it was called, about the group of soldiers who were training in the swamps of Louisiana. They tried to spook the Cajuns by firing blanks at them from a machine gun but found themselves hunted down by these woodsmen who were'nt firing blanks! Good movie, thought I'd mention it, not suggesting that you retaliate like that, haha.

As it does'nt seem likely that this pollution will be brought under control anytime soon, may I respectfully suggest that you just might need to build yourself a bigger boat!

gary porter
04-28-2003, 06:59 PM
Roger, if you ever get really desperate,,,come on up , we can fix you up.
Really though even here you can run into folks when it seems like you shouln't.
There are a lot of folks nowadays,,,Seems I heard that something like 9% of all the people who ever lived on earth are living now..... :(
Take Care and don't let it get to you.
Gary..... ;)

Rancocas
04-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Yeah, it's bad, and getting worse all the time. Too many people!
I usually find solitude on a quiet, back country mountain lake. The place only has two access points, and both of them are hard to get to. I either paddle down a small creek in my canoe and portage around a couple of beaver dams, or I can drive around on a winding, dirt two-track for many miles and reach a spot where a small boat can be launched from a tiny beach.
I went there last weekend and was very surprized to see; not one, not two; but four small power boats in there! And, this in a spot where I have never seen anyone before!

ishmael
04-28-2003, 07:25 PM
The democratization of the water. Used to be the only people on the water in any kind of boat were rich, or dedicated. Now, any fool with the downpayment and a half-way decent credit rating can be running a metal-flake monster within hours.

Sorry Roger. I watched a beautiful lake in Michigan be similarly transformed in the last years I spent time there; I can empathize.

Ian Wright
04-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Most people are Thick.
Most people have no manners.
Lots of thick people with no manners enjoy spoiling the enjoyment of others.
It's too late to stop the rot.
There is no Hope.
Get used to it.

IanW

Roger Stouff
04-28-2003, 10:56 PM
"Southern Comfort." Yeah, that's the ticket!

Ian is probably right, though a bit coarse. ;) Except I refused to get used to it. I'll either fight it, or I'll stay away from there, try to find something somewhere else. I'll probably fight. Heck, 22 years in the newspaper business, I've won a bunch and lost a few, why the heck not.

I'm just disgusted and disillusioned right now, at a time when I need my peace out there the most. My mom's not doing as well as she had been, though not seriously ill by far, but I see a future all of us dread with our parents drawing nearer every day. I miss my dad terribly, especially in the spring, and I needed some time to talk with him out there. I didn't get it. His voice was drowned out by the roaring. I'm just feeling lost, out of place, out of time, and when I feel that way, the waters always help.

Thank you all for your kindnesses. I'll feel better eventually. My 1950s Montague bamboo fly rod came in today but I haven't had a chance to cast it yet. Maybe tomorrow, I can find the chance to try it out, and talk with the old folks.

Best,
R

Bruce Hooke
04-29-2003, 12:43 AM
Given that we're talking about the news media and annoying watercraft...this editorial just appeared in my local paper, The Providence Journal (http://www.projo.com).

Fight Noise on the Narrow

04/24/2003

At this time of year, the waterfall that turns the wheel of the old snuff mill at the head of the Narrow River teems with buckies returning from the Atlantic to their natal ponds to spawn. The mill is also the birthplace of George Washington's portrait painter, Gilbert Stuart. The river is one of Rhode Island's great beauty spots -- so beautiful that its southern marshes are designated a National Wildlife Refuge.

But now the river is the scene of a controversy far removed from Stuart's stately and comparatively quiet 18th Century. The Narrow River -- which meanders some six miles to the sands of Narragansett, where it forcefully debouches into Block Island Sound -- is under siege from Jet Skis: those devices for "sport" that have been ruining much water and shoreline across America.

Last year, the Narrow River Preservation Association collected 500 signatures from residents of Narragansett, South Kingstown and North Kingstown, the three towns bordering the river, and went to the State House to get special legislation authorizing the group to devise regulations for Jet Skis (or "personal watercraft," as the industry prefers to call them -- just as the gambling business likes to call itself the "gaming industry").

Yet despite public concern -- mostly in the form of anger at these mechanical monsters -- the three town councils involved have failed to take action to obtain a formal local consensus on controlling the use of Jet Skis on the river, as has been done in many other places in the nation.

Our guess is that the public consensus in the Narrow River area is probably for either very strict regulation or (as we'd prefer) an outright ban on the shrieking, wildlife-scaring Jet Skis, which pollute both water and air. For that matter, Jet Skis are unfriendly to people, too, not only for their noise but also for the numerous accidents they cause. They pose a particular hazard to swimmers and others at the river's mouth, where the current can exceed six knots. On many summer days, the shallows there are crowded with waders and beachcombers; an accident with a Jet Ski could result in the victim's being carried hundreds of yards offshore.

From any perspective, it is way past time to take action against Jet Skis. We say: Ban them from Narrow River.

plimsol
04-29-2003, 01:54 AM
Rodger, My heart goes out to you. What you are describing is the de-civilization of America. Civil behavior in the community is no longer a cultural value, narcissitic behavior has replaced it. De-civilzation is a byproduct of a greed based culture and the American myth of rugged individualism. "I got mine..so screw you." is its underlying tenant. "In your face" has replaced manners and consideration of others in the community.
The lack of civility in American society is expressed across the entire social spectrum, from politics to sports to this Forum. Sadly, it is not going to get better, only worse as America continues its social decline.

Ian Wright
04-29-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Roger Stouff:
"Southern Comfort." Yeah, that's the ticket!

Ian is probably right, though a bit coarse. ;) RCourse? I hope not. though on this subject I feel the glass is half empty and it's getting worse.
I would guess that of those examples of my fellow man that I have met over 6o years about 10% are decent breeding stock, 10% worth feeding up for market and the rest are discards, not worth the grass they poop on.
I take the path of least resistance I'm afraid, I go else where,,,,,,,,,

IanW :(

Roger Stouff
04-29-2003, 09:00 AM
No offense, Ian. "Get used to it," was a suitable impetus to convince me to not get used to it. smile.gif

ishmael
04-29-2003, 09:15 AM
Here in midcoast Maine, we have less of a problem on the water. For one thing the water never gets very warm, limiting the appeal of jetskeets and raft up drink and swim parties. But this last winter we had a record number of snowmobiler deaths. Typical yahoo behavior: get liqoured up and run your sled into a tree. A sad note for me was a dogsledder who was run down and critically injured. He was quoted as saying that his dog sledding days were over because of the increasing number and speed of the sleds. :(

I lived last winter just off a major trail, and watching the parade of those chain saws on skids was really amazing to me. Most are two cycle, and you'll see troupes of a dozen or more, following along in line. I've gotta think the air quality when you get to the back of que has to be pretty toxic. I could only shake my head. The appeal of that kind of thing completely escapes me. Yet people spend thousands of dollars on the beasts, and snowmobile clubs, and these smoky outings are very popular. :confused:

[ 04-29-2003, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

Roger Stouff
04-29-2003, 09:21 AM
No offense, Ian. "Get used to it," was a suitable impetus to convince me to not get used to it. smile.gif

Mr. Know It All
04-29-2003, 09:42 AM
Glad to hear you're leaning towards fighing back Roger. That is what I've come to expect from you. Don't forget "the pen is mightier than the jetski". :D

Tar Devil
04-29-2003, 09:52 AM
Roger, let us know when this hits print...

Later,

Phil

Roger Stouff
04-29-2003, 10:11 AM
I gotta map out a plan of attack, first. It'll probably take a couple weeks to get things going. I'll be glad to let ya'll know.

Thanks for your empathy. smile.gif

Alan D. Hyde
04-29-2003, 11:28 AM
This is not a problem resulting from "rugged individualism" or from freedom. Far from it.

Our founders knew that a free society would not long survive without citizens worthy of it. They placed a great emphasis on high moral character, and on personal and civic duty and reputation. Not that there weren't jerks: there were, of course. But they stood a good chance of getting what they deserved.

Many men and women once cared a great deal about their reputations for straight dealing, personal courage, and overall competence. The social and religious fabric that once nurtured and supported the growth of many desirable personal attributes has rotted and is falling apart. So far, nothing of equal value has taken its place.

Even the old mechanisms of rough and ready informal justice have disappeared. When I was a boy, I was pretty well aware that if I treated others on the water with marked discourtesy (say spraying them with a wake) then many of them might be inclined to personally even things up with some blows and bruises.

There were quite a few members of my father's and grandfather's generations who were happy to give any young punk the thumping he deserved, and the courts back then were not, many of them, inclined to interfere...

Alan

High C
04-29-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Alan D. Hyde:
This is not a problem resulting from "rugged individualism" or from freedom. Far from it.

Our founders knew that a free society would not long survive without citizens worthy of it. They placed a great emphasis on high moral character, and on personal and civic duty and reputation. Not that there weren't jerks: there were, of course. But they stood a good chance of getting what they deserved.

Many men and women once cared a great deal about their reputations for straight dealing, personal courage, and overall competence. The social and religious fabric that once nurtured and supported the growth of many desirable personal attributes has rotted and is falling apart. So far, nothing of equal value has taken its place.

Even the old mechanisms of rough and ready informal justice have disappeared. When I was a boy, I was pretty well aware that if I treated others on the water with marked discourtesy (say spraying them with a wake) then many of them might be inclined to personally even things up with some blows and bruises.

There were quite a few members of my father's and grandfather's generations who were happy to give any young punk the thumping he deserved, and the courts back then were not, many of them, inclined to interfere...

AlanHere, here Alan! Well said. 'tis one of our greatest weaknesses, that good people are now afraid to deal with bad people in a one-on-one fashion. There used to be social pressure, coming form all around, to encourage us to behave ourselves. But now if you thump a deserving nitwit, or even shout him down, the police may come take YOU away in handcuffs, and confiscate your boat, car, 401K, or first born child. You'll spend more money on lawyers than you do on boating. (Sorry Scott ;) )

Zero tolerance, least common denominator mentality had caused this. The police no longer have discretion. Judges don't back up the cops who think creatively to diffuse a bad situation.
:(

Roger Stouff
04-29-2003, 12:10 PM
Hey, if my boat had been a little faster... :cool:

Cecil Nickerson
04-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Hey Roger, I can sympathise. My favourite spots are now overboored as well. Thought you'd like to know I'm listening to KBON in Mamou on the web. Bon Chance.

Cecil

Ken Hall
04-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Could you kinda sorta accidentally trail some 3/8" polypropylene here and there? Would that help?

Roger Stouff
04-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Laissez les bons temps rouler, Cecile!

(Let the good times roll)

Mrleft8
04-30-2003, 07:42 AM
Perhaps you could do the civilized thing, and actually talk politely to these people. Ask them gently to be considerate, and to go slower, and perhaps put mufflers on their machines.... Offer them a peace offering of fuel mix*, for free, if they're nice.

*(2 cycle motor oil? What's that? Around here we use mollasses....) :D

LeeG
04-30-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Mrleft8:
Perhaps you could do the civilized thing, and actually talk politely to these people. Ask them gently to be considerate, and to go slower, and perhaps put mufflers on their machines.... Offer them a peace offering of fuel mix*, for free, if they're nice.

*(2 cycle motor oil? What's that? Around here we use mollasses....) :D The civilized thing? If ones intention is to change others behaviour it's a lost cause,,you can only change your own behaviour or your own perception. I've done my share of civilized intercourse and the goal is simply to say "I'm here" if they're THERE let's be grateful if only a "good day" can be accomplished..

Sam F
04-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Roger Stouff:
I gotta map out a plan of attack, first. It'll probably take a couple weeks to get things going. I'll be glad to let ya'll know.

Thanks for your empathy. smile.gif If I remember it correctly, here's a quote from Southern Comfort:

"Sometimes you gotta set aside your principles and do the right thing." :confused:

Great music in the film from Rye Cooder btw.

Scott Rosen
04-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by High C:
You'll spend more money on lawyers than you do on boating.What's wrong with that!?

Roger Stouff
04-30-2003, 03:07 PM
We use granulated sugar for those who need a 2-cycle attitude adjustment.

Lawyers? Don't need no stanking lawyers ... no disrespect Scott! smile.gif I get ink in 55-gallon drums. I get paper in 1,000 pound rolls. We have a warehouse full of it right next to the newsroom. :D

htom
04-30-2003, 04:42 PM

Alan
Not true. They were not "not inclined to interfere", they actively tried to help!

Geeesh, if I got in trouble at school, I got it from the teacher, and then from the principal, and then from my Mom when I got home, and the preacher across the backyard, and then Dad got home! There was no escape!

High C
04-30-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by htom:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

Alan
Not true. They were not "not inclined to interfere", they actively tried to help!

Geeesh, if I got in trouble at school, I got it from the teacher, and then from the principal, and then from my Mom when I got home, and the preacher across the backyard, and then Dad got home! There was no escape!</font>[/QUOTE]Yup, and remember how the neighborhood cops would help out. Sometimes when a youngster stepped over the line for the first time they'd play a little game with the kid. Put him in the backseat of the car, pretend to discuss his imminent jail sentence on the radio, then negotiate the "release" with the parents? Then the parents would follow up with whuppings, groundings, etc.

It was a great ploy and saved a lot of youngsters from committing that second offense. Try that today and the officer may find himself in all sorts of trouble. The kid'll get the ACLU to sue everybody in town. :(

Jim H
05-01-2003, 03:34 PM
Roger I would think the answer would be obvious! We're talking Louisiana which means that each body of water has it's allocation of gators. As distasteful as it may be, go buy a used jet ski. Next, go to the grocery store and get some split chickens (let them ripen a little). Now, every weekend morning, for a month, go down to the lake and feed the gators from the jet ski - the idea is to lure them close to the ramp. Soon the gators will associate the jet ski with food, problem solved! ;) :D

paladin
05-01-2003, 03:39 PM
I Like It!,,,I Like It! :D :D

Roger Stouff
05-01-2003, 03:43 PM
BY THUNDER, IT JUST MIGHT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Ged
05-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Wow! I have a feeling that I'll be staying on everybodies good side around here. When your wheels start turning, there's no telling what could happen!

By the way LeeG, I think you meant "discourse"...

High C
05-02-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Ged:

By the way LeeG, I think you meant "discourse"...Maybe he's trying to tell you something. :eek:

Ged
05-23-2003, 01:07 AM
Here's an enterprising solution that might interest some...

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/sailor570/pwchelp.htm

[ 05-23-2003, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: Ged ]

LeeG
05-23-2003, 01:43 AM
Wow! I have a feeling that I'll be staying on everybodies good side around here. When your wheels start turning, there's no telling what could happen!

By the way LeeG, I think you meant "discourse"...wow,,that was a slip wasn't it?,,that too.

Ged
05-23-2003, 02:13 AM
I got a pretty good grin out of it when I saw it. As I continued to read the rest of the thread, I kept thinking "Surely, someone's going to zing him on this...". :D

[ 05-23-2003, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Ged ]

Wild Wassa
05-23-2003, 02:42 AM
Where do I send a donation, ... or will I just send a few chickens from here?

Warren.

Sam F
05-23-2003, 02:20 PM

By the way LeeG, I think you meant "discourse"...Yeah it's a scary bunch! But LeeG used the word correctly:
Definition "1. communication or dealings between or among people, countries, etc.; interchange of products, services, ideas, feelings, etc."

It used to be common usage and being “pure as the driven snow”, I never noticed anything amiss. smile.gif

The ahh... concept... some folks are thinking of is definition #2. redface.gif