PDA

View Full Version : gusset material

trout
10-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Am preparing to build my first boat. A 21'Dory designed by Nexus Marine. I'm considering using cherry for some of the structural pieces, primarily gussets, because I have a stockpile of it. Anyone know how this wood would react?

TimothyB
10-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Based on some sniffing around:

From http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/ch01.pdf

The heartwood of black cherry varies from light to dark reddish brown and has a distinctive luster. The nearly white sapwood is narrow in old-growth trees and wider in second growth trees. The wood has a fairly uniform texture and very good machining properties. It is moderately heavy, strong, stiff, and moderately hard; it has high shock resistance and moderately high shrinkage. Black cherry is very dimensionally stable after drying.
For rot resistance:

John Bower (in "The Healthy House," published by Carol Publishing Group, NJ, 1991 and 1997), and various other authors who list naturally rot-resistant and insect-resistant woods, include the heartwood portion of Osage Orange along with black cherry, black locust, black walnut, various cedars, chestnut, junipers, red mulberry, Pacific yew and redwood. The various resins, oils, tannins and other natural chemicals in these woods which give them their rot-resistance may have aromatic qualities bothersome to people with chemical sensitivities.

Bruce Hooke
10-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Let's make this the "official" version of this thread. Here is my question from the other copy of it:

What does the designer specify? That is usually a good point at which to start for comparisons...Trout -- You can delete the other copy of this thread by opening the thread, clicking on the edit button http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/edit_ubb6.gif above your question, checking the "Delete Post" box and then clicking the "Edit Post" button. By the way, you probably created two copies by using the Back button on your browser to edit the post. To avoid this problem in the future you can use the edit button instead in that situation.

kc8pql
10-29-2004, 03:31 PM
One more property not listed above. It splits easily and cleanly.