PDA

View Full Version : New addition...

Tar Devil
12-16-2002, 01:43 PM
Latest addition to my daughter's menagerie...

http://www.hiltonpond.org/images/SnakeGreenRough01.jpg

Daughter and snake both doing well.

Later,

Phil

ishmael
12-16-2002, 01:46 PM
Love snakes! So graceful and primal. Is that a local? Let me guess, a green tree snake? Sure is lovely. Make sure the girl learns how to care for it well.

Shang
12-16-2002, 01:49 PM
Anything that eats bugs is a friend of mine.

Tar Devil
12-16-2002, 02:01 PM
Yep, green, but we're still trying to ascertain which green (the photo isn't of her actual snake... don't have photos yet). The pet store owner told us it was a "tree" green as opposed to "rough" green (the internet sites describe two species... rough and smooth... so I'm really confused). He said the rough burrows and the tree climbs, but this bugger keeps burrying itself in it's bark bedding. Her last snake was a green also (we had assumed a rough) but now I don't know 'cause it always climbed limbs to sleep. This one is also slightly larger, which is typical of rough.

Guess it doesn't really matter... both have similar dietary and environmental requirements. She did quite well with the last one, until Mom turned down the heat in the house. Lauren fed it while cold and it died from digestive complications. She was very fond of it.

Later,

Phil

JimD
12-16-2002, 09:07 PM
had a green snake for a while, it used to like sitting on the top of my head and would perch its own head on the rim of my glasses for stability, i presume, unless it was also near sighted :D
jimd

Shang
12-16-2002, 09:25 PM
"...had a green snake for a while, it used to like sitting on the top of my head and would perch its own head on the rim of my glasses..." --JimD

Yes, Jim, several of us have also seen green snakes on our heads and about the rims of our glasses...
Oh! You ment EYE-glasses!
Sorry.

Tar Devil
12-16-2002, 09:33 PM
This one has already become fond of my eyeglasses... to the point where I can't see anything but a green blob in my face.

Later,

Phil

Mr. Know It All
12-16-2002, 10:35 PM
Looks like a Green Racer snake. We used to catch them as kids in West (by gosh) Virginia. They were hard to see because they were the same color as the grass.
Kevin in Ohio

Memphis Mike
12-16-2002, 10:42 PM
Arrrrrrg, snakes! Actually, I take that back.
Just a joke Phil. Snakes are some of the most
condemned creatures on earth and they are
hated because of the ignorance of other
creatures that share the earth with them.

All of God's creations should be allowed to exist in harmony with each other.

Just a thought.

[ 12-16-2002, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

JimD
12-17-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Shang:
"...had a green snake for a while, it used to like sitting on the top of my head and would perch its own head on the rim of my glasses..." --JimD

Yes, Jim, several of us have also seen green snakes on our heads and about the rims of our glasses...
Oh! You ment EYE-glasses!
Sorry.being a green snake I suppose it drank grasshoppers, or maybe beer on St Patricks day, scotch and soda???? :eek:

Tar Devil
12-17-2002, 03:26 PM
I am grateful, Mike, for all the time my kids spent wading the river with me. They became well acquainted with snakes and were able to see first hand how eager these creatures are to leave us humans alone if we'll just let 'em.

Later,

Phil