Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Victor
    • Apr 2004

O'Brian

I know these were good novels because I can remember more scenes from them than from anything else I've read in years.

A year or two after finishing the series, what scenes do you remember? For me: the two midshipmen turning in papers about the sprightly penguin and then convincing Capt. Aubrey it was just a coincidence.

Dr. Maturin having lunch on the flesh of his recently defeated enemy, out of scientific curiosity of course.

Capt. Aubrey's mangled homilies. Ever since then I've gone out of my to mangle mine! No use crying over spilled milk under the dam! No use putting the cart before the dead horse!

About ready to start reading the series again.

[ 10-25-2005, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Victor ]
  • glowell222
    • Apr 2002

I'm about halfway through H.M.S. Surprise, and I'm' really enjoying the read.
    Berryville, VA: A quaint little drinking community with a farming problem.

Comment

• Seth Wood
      • Sep 2000

"Make hay while the iron is hot!"

"What a fellow you are, Stephen."

"You have debauched my sloth!"

Comment

• Keith Wilson
        Trying to be reasonable
        • Oct 1999

"But sir, they are all Lesbians!"

I tell you what it is, gentlemen: O'Brian's books are most uncommon good when read out loud. The unabridged recordings, particularly those by Partick Tull if you can find them, are a source of the liveliest pleasure. It would be an illiberal pragmatical cove indeed that didn’t take delight in Tull’s reading.

[ 10-25-2005, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Keith Wilson ]
        "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
        for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• John of Phoenix
          • Jun 2001

May I suggest the Collector's Series (CD or cassette) as a means to save some $. I've listened to my set twice now and ready to start again.

Recorded Books is RBmedia’s flagship audio brand for premium titles by bestselling authors like Danielle Steel, J.R.R. Tolkien, Jeff Kinney, and Charlaine Harris.

Comment

• DougR
            obnoxiously persistent.
            • Jan 2005

<Off Topic>
            Anyone else a fan of the other one?

Flann O’Brien (Myles na gCopaleen)
            I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• George.
              • Aug 2004

Maturin out on the bowsprit netting (or boomkin knottings, as he called it) of the Leopard at night, using blue lights to drive away the "ghost" that was scaring the men into dereliction of duty.

In fact, that section of "Desolation Island," from the ghost exorcism through the chase with the Waakzamheidt, the collision with the iceberg, and the desperate battle against the leak, culminating with the Leopard shooting through a tidal race into the lee of Kerguelen Island, is, in my opinion, the best written and most enthralling bit of the whole series.

Comment

Working...