PDA

View Full Version : Opening a safe

Figment
10-01-2005, 12:55 PM
I have this monstrous old safe that hasn't been used in years, so I figure I ought to sell it. I have the combination. I used to open this safe at least once a month, so I know it works, or at least I know it worked.
Now I can't get the damn thing to open for the life of me.

What's the standard protocol on combination dialing?
The combination is:
counterclockwise 4x to 45
clockwise 3x to 60
counterclockwise 2x to 45
clockwise til it stops (iirc, just past zero)

Is it 4x past zero, then stop at 45?
4x past 45, then stop at 45?
3x past 45, then stop at 45 to count as the 4th pass?

This thing is making me nuts.

Paul Pless
10-01-2005, 01:05 PM
advice from paladin on another thread
three wraps of primacord, plus one turn per inch of tree diameter.....garunteeed to cut the tree.... :D :D :D
trees safes whats the difference

[ 10-01-2005, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

paladin
10-01-2005, 01:14 PM
I can tell ya how to remove the door but it may not fit when finshed.....and depending on when the safe wuz made...sometimes you cancut a bit on the upper right rear and peel the top off like with a can of cheap sardines.....then remove the concrete and wire filler to get to the inner shell.....takes time.....a proper mixture of iron filings aluminum and magnesium strategically place on the front will usually remove the door...

Paul Denison
10-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Clear left 4 times and stop on 1st number.
Turn right and stop on 2nd number the 3rd time you see it.
Turn left and stop on 3rd number the second time you see it.
Turn right to 0.

Some locks require an action at 0 (turning a center thumb turn, or pushing the dial in)and then you continue turning right until the bolt is pulled.

Good luck.

Mrleft8
10-01-2005, 08:24 PM
What Paul said
(And don't worry.... I got that Bluejay off the trailer by myself.... Rope around a tree tied to the fwd. eye and popped the clutch.)

[ 10-01-2005, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Mrleft8 ]