PDA

View Full Version : The World--- Tasmania

Alan D. Hyde
04-20-2005, 05:15 PM
http://www.tasmania.visitorsbureau.com.au/images/index_wineglassbay.jpg

Since the subject of Tasmania arose recently on another thread, perhaps Forum participants who have lived or visited there may pass along some thoughts, comments, photos, etc.

By all accounts, it is a unique and beautiful place, populated with a people who are equal to the place.

Joshua Slocum, IIRC, lectured there while on his voyage around in the Spray.

Alan

WFK
04-20-2005, 11:07 PM
I've been to Tasmania and absolutely loved it! It was 1988 and if I remember right, the picture that you show and some where I saved a postcard of it is a place called Wine Glass Bay. Hobart was a such a neat place and eventually I hope to return!

Bill

shamus
04-21-2005, 02:28 AM
It's rotten. You don't want to come here. Looking out my window all I can see is smog. (and tourists).

skuthorp
04-21-2005, 03:38 AM
Yeh, It's just across the water from us. Nothin to see but trees and mountains and lakes full of fish and stuff. There's places you have to walk to, everybody does, people everywhere cluttering up the landscape. Sure they have a great WB festival, and an operating ABT railway, and good sailing in the D'entrecasteau channel, but you wouldn't want to go there
:rolleyes:
http://www.tased.edu.au/tot/w/index.html
http://www.abc.net.au/wildness/gallery.htm
http://www.freycinetcolesbay.com/select.htm
:cool: :D

[ 04-21-2005, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: skuthorp ]

Paul Fitzgerald
04-21-2005, 03:53 AM
If you go to Tasmania make sure you donate to the genetic pool.. It needs all the help it can get

skuthorp
04-21-2005, 04:08 AM
Now Paul, that's unkind. You know how shy they are and how they like to keep that sort of stuff in-house!
;)

Paul Fitzgerald
04-21-2005, 04:29 AM
And wherever you go there are these old wooden boats cluttering up the place

Paul Fitzgerald
04-21-2005, 04:32 AM
For some strange reason huon pine qand celery top pine just dont seem to rot

skuthorp
04-21-2005, 04:48 AM
Not to mention
http://www.woodenboat-ubb.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001900
:cool:

formerlyknownasprince
04-21-2005, 06:07 AM
Sure looks like Wineglass Bay on the Freycinet Peninsular (East Coast of Tassie) to me. I stayed at the old 1930's Lodge in the National Park there some years ago - now redeveloped I believe. If anyone needs a map of Tassie - just ask ;)

I watched the sun rise over the ocean whilst sitting on top of some 400' granite cliffs - just magic. I'd have some photos in a box or album or folder somewhere .....

The roads there are fantastic too - I managed to get my hire car airborne at one stage and another time had to slow down because the brake and clutch smoke inside the cabin was getting too thick - lots and lots of nice winding roads with very little traffic. :D

Ian

George Jung
04-21-2005, 08:16 AM
You upside-down folk are priceless.... :D

Wild Wassa
04-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Paul:
"... make sure you donate to the genetic pool. It needs all the help it can get."

Originally posted by skuthorp:
"...You know how shy they are and how they like to keep that sort of stuff in-house!"

Some say that if you hang around a person or a place for long enough, you will eventually see the real character or species in the case of some places. People just can't keep hiding the truth given time. People always show their true colours given enough time but for some reason Tasmanians show more adaption.

So this little tip, is to save visitors who don't pick up on the clues about any worldly mattters and to save those 'types' of visitors who try to understand and who might approach a Tasmanian, much grief (if they accidently approach an Australian by mistake) ... when playing 'spot the real Tasmanian'.

Look for locals down there who have overly large heads ... NO! even larger than your own. Not just big heads (they can be found in Queensland, on cane cockie's sons) but overly large heads ... they are the individuals of the uncorrupted Tasmanian gene pool. The second original Tasmanians ... some say, "only the Lapplanders are more homogeneous."

So don't go there ... your culture needs you more than Tasmanians do and to save time travelling ... just send a deposit.

Warren.

[ 04-21-2005, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

George.
04-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Tasmania... there there be devils!

shamus
04-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Warren, can't you count? It's two heads your looking for....You're right about tourism tho, why it's thought to be a green industry beats me completely. Plus they're just about to start charging us $100 to walk through the central highlands on the track that has been turned into a 4 lane highway by far too many feet.

shamus
04-21-2005, 04:50 PM
George... devils are in serious decline with some contagious cancer of the face. So far not much progress on has been made on the cause.

Wild Wassa
04-21-2005, 04:56 PM
G'day George and Shamus.

Shamus, I'm getting the feeling that yuppy tourism and poncy Avanti riding imperialists are loving Tassy to a quick death.

I was horrified when the overland track a few years ago became time shared and linked 'ecotourist resorts' and not just a group of survival huts to be reached by only the most intrepid of walkers.

It is to the point now where one should only buy the book, so stay at home ... and not pollute the natural Tasmanian environment for nothing more than a superficial look and even less of an understanding ... unless invited.

'Ecotourism' is an insipid green ideal and a tacky fraudulent marketing tool ever to be coined ... it is like the illusion of fcuking to preserve virginity.

Warren.

[ 04-22-2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Lion
04-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Tassie! Visited often, truly one of the most diverse and beautiful places imaginable.

Everything comes at a price however and with a population of less than half a million everything is local and socially intense. A strange sort of dichotomy between the red neck/blue collar/cryto conservatives and the green/liberal/progressives pervades the place and many find it suffocating. The battles over the natural enviroment and tree chainsawing jobs is intense, hard fought and makes strange bedfellows. A real pity that a lot want to 'exploit' and destoy the very things that make Tasmania so unique.

But man, its a thing of beauty!...and the home of wooden boats in Australia.

Lion

PS: and when driving watch out for the log trucks.

Alan D. Hyde
04-22-2005, 03:33 PM
http://www.woodenboatcentre.com/images/Refurbishing_the_sealark.jpg

There's an interesting Wooden Boat Centre there, too.

See:

www.woodenboatcentre.com/ (http://www.woodenboatcentre.com/)

Alan

Wild Wassa
04-26-2005, 03:24 AM
A month dedicated to gardening ... Shamus?

... but there is only a month before the Thylacine bounty of 1.5 million AU offered by Mr Packer is withdrawn.

Let's look in the Queens Pound. If they are going to be anyhere, they will be on the Mainland in a place like the Queens Pound (only 12 whites have been to the Queens Pound, it is recorded). I'll be in it, it is about an hour away. Have you got a phone that can take photos? I'm sure Mr Packer will grant us an extension, ;) . 1.5 million AU would be handy ... split two ways ... less expenses.

Warren.

[ 04-26-2005, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

formerlyknownasprince
04-26-2005, 06:24 AM
I've seen one - got a photo somewhere too. Trouble is Dad's Uncle stuffed it. Its in his biology museum at Trinity College Dublin - sorry not open to the public. Also there is one of only two stuffed Great Auks that exist ( I believe there are around 20 skins extant )

And no ...... a few taken in the name of science didn't cause their extinction, that would have been caused by widespread extermination practices

Ian

shamus
04-26-2005, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't be too sure they're extinct. Large numbers of country folk will quietly tell you they've seen them in the last thirty years, but don't bother to say anything publicly as officially they don't exist. The odd tourist reports a sighting and gets howled down by Parks. There are reputations at stake. No doubt there are lies and mistakes as well. To claim Kerry's money you have to have a vet along with you I believe, which makes it rather unlikely that it will be claimed.

Wild Wassa
04-26-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm surprised Paker's offer hasn't dragged out the World's formost animal tamperers, like Steve Erwin or the famous Kratt Brothers, Chris and Martin (from 'Be the Creature' fame) to track down the beast. It will be a sad day if anyone like the shouting Kratt Brothers or Erwin find one.

For tampering with animals, the shouting Kratt Brothers make big Steve Ervin look like a deaf mute and a total novice ... the Kratts are true pros when it comes to disturbing the wildlife ... they could scare one out into the open even if they were standing on Wilson's Prom ... so Kerry can shoot it.

Why else would 'he' want to find one?

Warren.

[ 04-27-2005, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

shamus
04-27-2005, 04:36 AM
Hmmm, or play polo with it perhaps. I forgot to ask you what the Queens Pound is about? I've not heard of this before.

Wild Wassa
04-27-2005, 07:08 PM
The Queens Pound is in the centre of those forbidding mountains you see looking inland from the coast at Bermagui. In the Deua Wadbilliga Woila Brogo Wilderness (a top name hey?).

Queens Pound is the headwater of the Brogo River and is on the southern side the headwaters of the Wadbilliga and Tuross Rivers. It is a 5000ft deep hole found on the coastal side of the Great Divide inland from the town of Quaamaa. It is about 50ks inland from Bermagui. The streams on the Southern side that drain the Pound, feed the Brogo dam.

Plants and animals that were believed to have gone extinct and not seen for over 100 years were found by John Blay (author of Treck Though the Back Coutry, a fantastic book about a man and a donkey called Zac) in the Pound. It is possibly NSW's most extreme country (if you exclude the Koskiusko Jagungal Wilderness in winter when the chill factor is -20C). It is certainly the most extreme that I've seen.

I tried to enter the Pound with a chap about 6 years ago, we spent days, which extended into weeks just trying to find away in. The problem is it is criss-crossed with 3000 ft gorges. For each kilometre travelled towards the Pound, this involves many ascents and descents of 3000 ft cliffs. The river snakes for about 60ks from the Pound to the dam, although only a handful of k's away as the crow flies.

John Blay’s treck was made possible by a grant from the Literature Board and NSW National Parks, as a Bicentennial project. It took him one year to walk from Majors Creek to Bemboka only 100 ks ... about 3 days walking normally on the flat.

To quote John Blay, "It's crazy country for the most part, full of shifts and faults and gorges and valleys too rugged for roads and forestry operations and it has tantalized me for many years" ... "I arrived at a section so steep I couldn't see the bottom." That sums up the Pound well.

It has done the same to me as well. It is not a place where it is easy to find a companion who is prepared to even have a look at the place with me ... because it takes so long with much retracing of steps. If you can do 3-5ks in a week you're doing well Blay says ... that's because donkeys can't climb a cliff.

It is wonderful that NSW still has primitive areas like this and one of the reasons why we moved and have stayed here in the ACT, to get closer to this country. I can't even post a shot because all the shots I have, are on colour trany and I can't scan them. I should do something about this, very few people have even see this country.

You may have seen on maps a place called the Big Hole, a bit south of Canberra, well it is not that big ... Queens Pound is. One of the main problems with an attempt on the Pound is that all maps are totally inadequate, even the best of the topos. Many of the gorges are only 5-6 metres across. All ridges are a series of broken cliffs.

At the top of the Pound it is alpine heath and sedge swamps, at the bottom of the Pound, it is warm temperate rainforest. The other big holes in this area are Greens Hole and Round Hole (as well as the Big Hole that 'aint that big). There are lots of Copperheads, Black snakes and Goannas in the gullies. Aussie Copperheads are deadly.

Warren.

[ 04-30-2005, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

shamus
04-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks mate, amazing.

formerlyknownasprince
04-28-2005, 03:50 AM
Queens Pound River

http://www.pcug.org.au/~amikkels/gallery/qpound.jpg

Not my photo, never been there ...

Looks good though

Alan D. Hyde
04-28-2005, 11:25 AM
A fascinating area.

Can you get those slides scanned?

Anyone else here ever made it into Queen's Pound?

Alan

[ 04-28-2005, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]

Wild Wassa
04-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Ian, entering the Pound from 4k's east of Conway's Gap on the Bourke Road, about 1k from the road I'd say. The first real waterfall will stop them if it doesn't the next 4,200 ft climb will. They will probably get about 6-7 k's in and walk out on the Queens Pound fire trail. I've tried going this way. The area I was refering to starts south of Wadbilliga Mountain and takes in all of the area running south to the Brogo River, East to the New England Creek fire trail and Puen Buen, with the most westerly side being the Kybean Range and Kydra Peak and includes Greens Hole to the southwest of the Brogo River ... if you have a map that will show these areas, this area is at least 700-800 sq kilometres (if not, more like a 1000). Not big like in Canada, but big for around here.

Yes I can Alan, I don't know how long it will take though, not being the scanning person and it will require a couple of trips into town. I think that I'd like to show you the Ettrema Wilderness and the Budawang Wilderness as well ... and my favourite, Errinundra Plateau. I'll get a few images scanned.

Here is a shot from Errinundra Plateau of Australia's oldest Eucalypt. I tried to claim the outstanding bounty of a 1000 Pounds that was offered by the Victorian government (a few years ago now, well I tried). The reward was offered at the turn of the last Century to find Victoria's biggest tree for inclusion at a World Trade Fair, which was not ever claimed ... but they told me too much time had past. The dirty rats! ... they only exhibited a Brown Barrell or it could have been a Black Butt.

This tree a Eucalyptus Nitens (Shining Gum) would be a lot taller than 86m if it would stop getting hit by lightning strikes. The tree has been cored and is believed to be Australia's oldest Euc. This tree had no internal rot. Internal rot is the main reason why Eucs are short lived and fall over, ... or it didn't have rot before it was cored, it will now, now a broom handle has been pushed into the hole. The hole wasn't even sealed properly after coring ... CPES wasn't sold in Oz then.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid22/pb6f09deff689e3481f1b02dae9ca202e/fda95573.jpg

Warren.

[ 05-01-2005, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Wild Wassa
04-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Alan, The three b/w photographs are by Henry Gold and show the country very well, the colour photo is by me and shows the size of these ridges.

The Mountains of the Moon (the nick-name given to this area).

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid166/pe13fe904c62d7188f441fabcd29be12a/f4494138.jpg

Descending to the river and why the distances to be travelled are much greater than any crow will ever fly, thanks to the continual meandering.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid166/p59efe40dfd737d8bf9a1e1b0c00a010d/f4494137.jpg

... and why you can't cut corners in this country.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid166/pc515f8fa6f92486ffe31695da2fe741a/f449413b.jpg

... and why down in the dirt can be daunting. It requires much up and down at times. I hope this photo gives a good scale. When you know you have to go up to the top before you can come back down, before you have to do it again and again ... that's the daunting bit.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid24/p293e97f11735773ddecd70386eb7766f/fd9274eb.jpg

Fog is the norm each afternoon when the moist sea breeze racing up the gullies, hits the colder air that spills off the escarpment.

Warren.

[ 05-03-2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Alan D. Hyde
05-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Beautiful photos.

Thanks, Warren.

Alan

htom
05-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Oh my. Thanks, Warren. Forty years ago that would have been a very tempting year of wandering. (Actually, still tempting, but experience is screaming "You IDIOT!".)

rbgarr
05-02-2005, 11:06 AM
My daughter spent her junior year of college in Hobart a few years ago and absolutely loved it. She walked the Overland Track and went to the West Coast, as well as taking numerous weekend camping trips out of he city with Hobartians(?) She brought back a lot of wonderful pictures and a piece of huon pine for me. Very nice stuff!

Her boyfriend visited her over Christmas break and ended up staying until May because he (an actor at the time) joined the Uni Review, an annual comedy revue that performed in Hobart and Launceston. He played Elvis and the Prime Minister among other roles. We saw a video and it was very entertaining even though some of it went over our heads because of local references.

Her most memorable experience in the wild was spending the night on a beach where the phosphorous in the sea was so thick it coated her body like a shimmering pink and blue leotard which kept firing off even after she got out of the water. :cool:

Paul Fitzgerald
05-03-2005, 04:34 AM
Was that beach near Coles Bay on the east coast?
I recall sheltering from an easterly gale at night in the lee of Maria Island, which is about ten miles off the coast, and the phosphorescence was floating on the water in blocks.
We could pick it up from the surface and it was hard enough to stick together like foam. I have never seen or heard of it since then. There was a lot of lightning around that night

rbgarr
05-03-2005, 05:00 AM
Yes- it was Coles Bay.

Paul Fitzgerald
05-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Thats interesting, Ive never seen phosphorescence like that since then. I wonder why?

Paul Fitzgerald
05-03-2005, 05:56 PM
I think I will take this question out of the bilge and into the light.