PDA

View Full Version : Salisbury Skiff Jet Ski

Joe (SoCal)
09-25-2004, 08:22 PM
So after work I went sailing. Nice afternoon steady breeze. Sailed until almost sunset never had to unstow the oars :D .
A local sailing buddy anchored his Ericson 35 off the Cold Spring dock. He called me over so I dropped my sail and tied up off his stern. We hung out in his roomy cockpit amazing what a REAL sailboat feels like after dealing with wind and tide in a 18ft open sailing skiff. I have to say that f#&!glass 35 ft boat sure did make me feel jealous. Nice standing height cabin stereo playing while a little dinner was simmering on the propane stove. His wife offered me a chilled glass of wine from the fridge and some cheese while lounging in the cockpit, NICE. So after sharing a little dinner it starting to get dark I bid adieu and climbed back into my shaky little skiff. She did look like an awful pretty tender though :D

Sailed back into the cove and back the jeep up with the trailer. Getting into the jeep I see this note on my windshield.

HELLO-
WELCOME TO THE U.S.A!
OUR SIGNS ARE (USUALLY)
IN ENGLISH -
LIKE THE ONE PROHIBITING "JET SKI"
TYPE CRAFT
FROM USING THIS PARK

THANK YOU :)

JET SKI ????? :mad:

If the sarcastic idiot knew anything about my skiff's trailer Vs. a jet ski trailer they would know no jet ski could fit on my trailer arrrrrg :rolleyes:

There is a deeper problem not as evident from this note. The foundry cove was originally a launch spot for launching small john boats with motors. Back in the day that was what people in town did to get a fast easy way to go fishing or just tool around. The locals were basically kicked out by OSI Open Space Institute a conglomerate of protected waterfront land. Now the granola heads kayakers think they own the cove. You should see the looks I get when I try to launch my sailing skiff. They block the cove. I get glares from a bunch of kayakers chatting and coordinating their GPS's and chatting about rotomold Vs Kevlar kayaks. They take ten times longer to get in the water than it takes me to back up the trailer rig and launch. :rolleyes: Now I'm getting nasty notes on my jeep :mad:

[ 09-25-2004, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

alteran
09-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Might be someone who knows you getting even.

Joe (SoCal)
09-25-2004, 08:31 PM
Al you are just such an amazing @$$

Do you have to post a snide comment on every thread I write ???

Why? How old are you ?? Geeezus man give it a break already.

[ 09-25-2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
09-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Ignore the turd Joe.
Where's the pics? :D

Joe (SoCal)
09-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Sorry MrKIA no pics can you believe sometimes I don't take a camera with me smile.gif

I am writing a letter to the editor of my local paper about the note and my 1800s designed wooden jet ski :D

alteran
09-25-2004, 08:52 PM
Just a comment based on your personality transformation on the forum over the last year and an email I received a while back from a lurker here who knows you.

Phillip Allen
09-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Let us know how this turns out. I feel pretty put-out by the fashionable boat (kayak), bicycle, hiking, rock climbing, and etc crowd. I recognize them from my high school days (I think). Anecdote: I once met some men while I was driving out of the woods (back when I still hunted). I asked them what they'd been up to (friendly-like) and they immediately launched into an explanation that they were climbing and weren’t required to wear orange vests and hats. I said that was fine but thought the wearing of a fur coat was perhaps a little dangerous...he didn't get it. I tend (perhaps unfairly) to think of this true story when I encounter the fashionable outdoorsy types.

09-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Sounds like a productive outlet for your anger Joe. smile.gif
Sometimes you just have to educate people.
I'm sure you'll set them straight. ;)

Joe (SoCal)
09-25-2004, 08:58 PM
:rolleyes: to feed or not to feed that is the question?

I know the group that wrote the note. It was a group of kayakers that I saw out for a moonlight paddle. Nothing more They ASSumed I was hauling a Jet Ski just like you ASSumed, for what ever reason I got the note because of what I post on the WoodenBoat Forum ?????

As if I care about any LURKER who knows me and emails YOU of all people.

09-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Like I said...Ignore the turd. :D

alteran
09-25-2004, 09:07 PM
"for what ever reason I got the note because of what I post on the WoodenBoat Forum ?????"

No Joe... someone who KNOWS you. In real life.

Joe (SoCal)
09-25-2004, 09:14 PM
Duh lots of people KNOW me in real life hahaha :D

If a person knows me in real life and emailed YOU they must have issues :D tongue.gif

Of course you are going to play the little game and never post who this deep throat source is or even if there is one. So why should I care tongue.gif

And more important - What does this have to do with this thread except to make you look like an @$$ ?

Joe (SoCal)
09-25-2004, 09:17 PM
I FEAR NO MAN ™

alteran
09-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
I FEAR NO MAN ™They did say you crave attention. Looks like your newest need to "trademark" your quips proves that part of the letter true.

Joe (SoCal)
09-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Posted this upstairs.
Kinda fell off track down here :rolleyes:

Al lets just say that IF anyone who knows me and would take the time to EMAIL YOU, they would not be ANYONE I would care about. Folla ;) tongue.gif

Oh and Donn you disappoint me by turning troll like, Sad :(

[ 09-25-2004, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Elmer Jenkins
09-25-2004, 09:46 PM
I see Al is dropping his poo everywhere tonight. Man, you got issues!

alteran
09-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Elmer Jenkins:
I see Al is dropping his poo everywhere tonight. Man, you got issues!\

Hi MMike. When do you come back in from the cold?

imported_Dutch
09-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
I FEAR NO MAN ™maybe its an irate gerbil

Joe (SoCal)
09-25-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Dutch:
[QUOTE]maybe its an irate gerbilOr the killer rabbit from Monty Python :D

http://www.fastfunpages.com/03/05/prabbit/main.jpg

http://www.zone38.net/blog/pics/magic_rabbit.jpg

Kev Smyth
09-26-2004, 12:47 AM
I dunno, Joe- some folks are so convinced of their superior knowledge, morals, etc. and feel the need to share their insights with the "little people." I'm sure we both know some like that. :D

ANYWAY, I once drove a damaged (side-swiped) luxury car I'd just bought to repair on speculation to a public event. When I came back someone had written in red lipstick across the hood and windshield "learn to drive, a@@hole!" :eek: What can ya say?!? Who's the real a@@hole?

Like my daddy used to say, "never assume anything- it just makes an A@@ of U and ME. :D

09-26-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Elmer Jenkins:
I see Al is dropping his poo everywhere tonight. Man, you got issues!http://www.southparkstudios.com/down/download.html?file=/media/images/417/417_hankies22.gif

Kev Smyth
09-26-2004, 01:03 AM
OK, put down the pipe and go to bed... :D

Elmer Jenkins
09-26-2004, 08:18 AM
ROTF! :D Is that you Al?

Joe (SoCal)
09-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Follow up:

I wrote a polite letter to the editor of our little local paper. It will be in Wednesdays edition, so Al tell your buddy that knows me to pick up a copy ;)

I also received an email from the moonlight paddlers, I forgot that the group leader is a friend of mine and usually invites me along. After the paddle he then mass emails everyone little story about how it went. I politely emailed him asking if he knew who wrote the note.

All in all it will be addressed and that will be that :D

Matt J.
09-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Actually, Joe, no snide remark... I figured a practical joke from a friend or something... surely they aren't so stupid as to think your sailboat is doing more damage that a kayak? That's amazing.

you probably make less noise than they do splashing around with their paddles... Or are you just figuring they thought the trailer was for a jet ski and they didn't know it was your sailboat's trailer? That could be a minor misunderstanding...

Still, it would pi$$ me off, too. We had similar incidents with our hobie.

rbgarr
09-27-2004, 10:27 AM
Matt-

I think it was a both the assumption that the trailer was for a jetski (presumably the kayaker(s) there don't understand trailers can be used for different kinds of boats) and the sarcastic, anonymous nature of the note that was irritating.

Unfortunately, I've had similar experiences with kayakers clogging up boat ramps intended for trailer launching. Two launch ramps that I use have good, easily accessible, sandy beaches adjacent (right next to the ramps!) where local folks' dinghies, punts, etc. are stored and launched. Yet some kayakers seem to insist on walking right down the launch ramps to launch, and then spend inordinate amounts of time walking back and forth to their cars, chatting, loading up, making plans, etc. before clearing out of the way so others with trailers waiting can use the ramp. The same stuff happens when they return to the ramp, too.

Not all trailer boaters make as efficient use of their time on the ramp as they could, but why kayakers need to use them at all in places like that is beyond me. It seems that they are either trying to make some kind of statement or are just ignorant of their impact on others. Neither one is a particularly impressive way to behave.

[ 09-27-2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: rbgarr ]

Chris Coose
09-28-2004, 08:51 AM
I got a note one day on the truck at the launch ramp inviting me for anonymous consensual homosexual sex, like anyplace where I find myself as a traditionalist in a non-traditional situation or the visa-vera and the shoe don't fit, I tend to ignore the communication.

I did look around though.

cs
09-28-2004, 08:55 AM
I remeber one time I was waiting at the ramp to pull my boat out. This guy was in front of me with his fiberglass sailboat sitting there blocking the whole ramp. He was sitting there rigging his boat preparing it for launch. The ranger finally came over and told him to rig his boat elswhere and not block the ramp.

Chad

Joe (SoCal)
09-29-2004, 06:38 PM
*** UPDATE ***

Today my letter to the editor was published in the local paper
http://www.pcnr.com/news/2004/0929/Letters_To_Editor/
You have to wait until next week or buy the online subscription to my homey little paper something I know only Al may be inclined to do smile.gif Anyway early this afternoon I received a phone call from OSI Scenic Hudson the people that have taken over the cove. A very nice woman was apologetic and said she had read my letter and how dare someone be so rude yadda yadda yadda long story short they will have a rules and regs board that will make it very clear that all kinds of water craft motor and non motor can use the cove.

[ 09-29-2004, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

alteran
09-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Chris Coose:
I got a note one day on the truck at the launch ramp inviting me for anonymous consensual homosexual sex, like anyplace where I find myself as a traditionalist in a non-traditional situation or the visa-vera and the shoe don't fit, I tend to ignore the communication.

I did look around though.And after looking did you find him?

Chris Coose
09-29-2004, 07:43 PM
No but it probably might have been confusing had my ramp been on the Hudson above NYC around the end of the October.

[ 09-29-2004, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Chris Coose ]

Joe (SoCal)
10-06-2004, 09:34 AM
My letter as printed in the local paper last week :D

http://www.pcnr.com/news/2004/0929/Letters_To_Editor/052.html