PDA

View Full Version : This weather is interesting isnt it?

Wild Dingo
02-16-2003, 04:11 AM
So while Ive been swanning around skiteing to Michael and everyone about how lovely and hot it is down here while its snowing and icing up your way... the weathers turned on a weird one for us! :(

Its been riding between 36 and 42 for the last week or so... sweat fair dripping off everyone with brilliant sunlight and heat till after 7.30pm :cool: ... so today starts out warm and fair... eeerrr okay hot and humid... real tropical Northern Territory stuff...

But theres been some cloud cover till about 12 then it came over with a rush!!! whooosh all of a sudden lighting thunder and RAIN!!! bucketing down! :eek:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/p92ca4d1d6da3724556b2ae34011df7d6/fca261fe.jpg

This series of pics was taken at 3pm... 3pm for cryin out loud!! I mean its like the middle of the day!! ...Flamin well like winter around here cold wet and dark! :mad:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/p3bb8d13c184726c0ffab38971930a372/fca260ae.jpg

If you look you can see how hot its been with the grass withered and some of the plants just about gone restrictions havent helped at all with the "garden" so maybe some good will come with the rain??

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/p75d7706a741d1a767573703cb2f34841/fca26142.jpg

Weird weather for the middle of summer I reckon :rolleyes:

Rex Fearnehough
02-16-2003, 05:33 AM
Shane, here in Shetland, the weather has been strange all winter. I believe that we have only had around 6 days of frost. Daytime temps have been between 3c-9c.
At the moment we have bright sunlight with gales.
Rex.
:rolleyes:

stan v
02-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Weather has been unbearable here. Arctic cold front blasted through here yesterday, dropped temperatures from 72F to near 45F last night. Guess we'll have to stay in till it warms up, should be 55F today. Lawn growth has really slowed down, still about 1/2 green. Should be back up into the 70's by Tuesday, think I'll go bass fishing then. JimH, you holding up OK in this weather?

reddog
02-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Shane;
I'm not that far from Michael,(MMD),so the weather is about the same.It's minus 24C this morning,my wood pile is slowly receeding and any lawn is buried under three feet of snow.I'm sittin' in my jammies with a toque on ma head as I type this.Weather office is calling for more snow on Tuesday.
All the best;
Earl

LeeG
02-16-2003, 07:47 AM
white stuff falling, 6" so far.

Greg H
02-16-2003, 07:53 AM
We've got 9", could be 2 feet by tomorrow. :eek:

Bruce Taylor
02-16-2003, 08:08 AM
-30 this morning, Shane. -30! You probably have no idea what that feels like, eh?

Cap'n R an R
02-16-2003, 08:12 AM
#....ready now...all together...."MOON OVER MIAMI"

lovely song...lovely weather...dont know what you guys are complaining about????

LisaS
02-16-2003, 08:45 AM
Right now, at 8:30 AM, it's 9F (-14C). Snow on the way...could be lots of it too. However, I did see a bluebird yesterday!! Spring can't be too far away now.

Lisa

[ 02-16-2003, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: LisaS ]

Rocky
02-16-2003, 08:47 AM
Isn't this what we used to call a normal winter? Before we all started believing in global warming?

LeeG
02-16-2003, 08:57 AM
9" time to put the gaitors on and shovel..

Wild Dingo
02-16-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Bruce Taylor:
-30 this morning, Shane. -30! You probably have no idea what that feels like, eh?No mate absoflaminlutely no idea of what that feels like!!! :eek: gawd and I had thoughts of one day hopefully moving there!!! No way thats just not human weather mate!! :D

florida sounds much like here... but then texas does too... today was just weird... the rain stopped about 2 hours ago and now its still and HOT again!! sheeeeeeesh! :rolleyes: more of the same tomorrow... so I stop braggin about now eh?! tongue.gif

Bruce Taylor
02-16-2003, 09:44 AM
Maggie's up at the top of James Bay, this week...right at the tree line, where the polar bears bump into the black bears. Temperatures have been -50, for the past few days.

And here....-20 and climbing. Once the sun's out, things start to warm up, you see. It remains to be seen if the Subaru will start...

Memphis Mike
02-16-2003, 09:52 AM
Four straight days Of grey skys and rain here.
It's enough to make one want to blow his brains out.

LeeG
02-16-2003, 09:55 AM
12" one car clear,,,

LeeG
02-16-2003, 09:56 AM
Bruce, are you serious? how do people live in that kind of cold?

Wild Dingo
02-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by LeeG:
Bruce, are you serious? how do people live in that kind of cold?EXAKALLY!!! :eek:

Rocky
02-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Went skiing at 20 below once. Enough for me.

Dutch Rub
02-16-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Memphis Mike:
Four straight days Of grey skys and rain here.
It's enough to make one want to blow his brains out.If ya need ta borrow a pistol.... :D

Memphis Mike
02-16-2003, 10:35 AM
I've got my own Oyster.

Bruce Taylor
02-16-2003, 10:44 AM
Bruce, are you serious?Oh, yes. Of course, in addressing my overcooked Aussie brothers, I'm using using the Celsius scale. So, my -30C is something like your -20F (very rough guess). -20C is about 0F. At -40, though, C and F reach a sort of consensus...it's too damn cold.

reddog
02-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Well,it's warming up nicely now that the sun is out.Up to minus 8C.No snow in sight,other than what is on the ground.
Hope the Subaru starts,Bruce.Ours fired up but it takes forever to get heat.Great in the snow.The coldest I have experienced was minus 45F in Saskatchewan when I worked for The CNR.That was cold enough,mind you it was a dry cold.
Shane,I certainly you are enjoying your steam bath.I hear it's good for the complection.
Earl

Wild Dingo
02-16-2003, 10:58 AM
yeah so they reckon Earl but hey its supposed to take the weight off to right?? RIGGHT??... like a sauna here just now... shoulda lost a few pounds by now surely?.. gotta get a new set of scales these things lie I think! ;) ... keep having to get cool drinks of water and put me noggin under the shower to cool off and shake of the sweat! :D

reddog
02-16-2003, 11:14 AM
Shane;
I'm, quite frankly, a bit envious.I would have to build a sauna and fire it with lotsa wood to get the temperature up,where as you get to sit in your living room and sweat.Of course you don't have the pleasure of jumping through a hole in the ice or rolling in the snow afterwards.Yes,these sort of actions do go on.
Now as far as taking the weight off what was grandma's saying?Feed a fever,starve a cold.Or was it feed a cold,starve a fever.In any case the kilojoules in cannot exceed those out.Not to worry.
Earl

Wild Dingo
02-16-2003, 11:31 AM
HA!! :D The old intake shouldnt outdo the output right?! ;)

Ooohh Ive seen some of those weird things you people in the far white wastes get up too... ooohh yes Michael is legendary now with his antics in the snow in the middle of the night with his whole neighborhood!! HA! :D

Tell me mate I saw a movie awhile back that had these little sheds on the ice where people saw a hole in the ice and go fishing is that for real? Ive always thought it was one of those made up movie things... who was in that? Oh old crumple face Walter Matthow {sp?} and Jack Lemmon I think it was

mmd
02-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Bruce, are you serious? how do people live in that kind of cold? Primary requirements are layered clothing (down fill and/or Thinsulate are good), six to ten cords of split dry hardwood (preferably oak and maple), block heaters in your car, lip balm, hot rum toddies, and a sense of humour! :D

In seriousness, and with all due respect to city-dwellers, winter in a big town or city is crappy; slippery sidewalks, dirty snow, grumpy people, not very pretty. OTOH, winter in the country is fine, thank you, with pristine vistas of snow covered fields and trees, snowmobiles, cross-country skiing, clean fresh air, horse-drawn sleighrides, etc. A good 4WD helps, too (sorry, anti-SUV crowd, they ARE useful out here!). I have lived in many places, including sub-tropical and tropical, and I prefer the dynamics of a temperate climate with all the attendant changes in weather and wardrobe. Not all of us want to live where it is green and hot all the time.

To those who live in year-round growing season, how do you stand the monotony? :D

EDIT: Geez, Shane, I wuz a-typin' while you wuz a-postin'! Yes, we do have the little shacks with the hole in the ice - it's called (remarkably) ice fishing. We have a large tournament (Nova Scotia Smelt Fishing Tournament) every year here on the Lahave River to fish for a species of fish called a smelt. There is a big competition for the best smelt shack; some of the creations are really quite remarkable (giant fire hydrants, automobiles, Chrissy presents, etc.). A few from this year's tournament:

http://www.lighthouse.ns.ca/newsbriefs/images/pic3.jpg

http://www.lighthouse.ns.ca/images/indexpic.jpg

[ 02-16-2003, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: mmd ]

reddog
02-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Shane;
It's the God's truth,people actually do that.Even better are the ones without the ice shacks sitting on an upturned bucket,back to the wind,in all weather waitin' for a smelt.Smelt is a fish bye the way.They usually smoke 'em,(have to let them dry a bit before you can get one lit up.), and are eaten bones and all.Not bad but I don't like 'em enough to sit out on the ice.
Michael is right in regards to our temperate climate.We usually have four definite seasons with all their blessings.Sometimes we have all four seasons in one day.Up here discussing the weather is an art.In rural areas it was such a factor in everyday life watching it has become fine tuned and almost ingrained.Reminds me of a Tourism bumpersticker of years back:Nova Scotia,We Live Here,We Love IT,or something like that.
Would like to visit your neck 'o the woods one day.
Earl

Ross Faneuf
02-16-2003, 12:29 PM
-7F, wind chill -53F when we headed for church this morning; coldest temp mentioned there -32F on Thursday morning. We live at 500' elevation, which means we're a good deal warmer at night than folks in the valleys; but we get more wind. Wind strong enough last night to peel up the crusted snow and blow it about; I'll have to shovel the driveway again.

On the other hand, all the mosquitoes, black flies, earwigs and cockroaches are dead.

Wild Dingo
02-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Those are the boxes!! so wow its the real thing eh?... true for a fella who has never been where its colder than 20C {and that was only once!} never seen snow or ice other than hail stones and never seen a frozen lake river or stream this amazes me... not bein disrespectful just amazed! like watching one of them travel shows where they take you to these weird and wonderful places... well to me its amazing! :cool:

So okay whats the best day/week/month to come visit? ;) ... sorta more warm than ICED?? geez I reckon Id probably go broke bying all the thermal stuff just to keep warm up there... in summer! :D

No seriously what is the best time to come visit Canada?... were getting some ski lodge "Big Moose"? or something advertising on the idiot box at present... and it looks bloody cold... but then I have met quite a few Canadians almost married one once too {but then either I got smart or she got homesick for the snow and ice Darwin does get hot I guess :rolleyes: } so the people would be a hoot the countryside brilliant {if I can find enough warmth that is} and well I dont know about your animals you got them big buggar bears up there eh? mmmmm theyre a worry them fellas. :eek:

Smelt? okay I can see a google search coming on...

Thanks for the ride through Nova Scotia fellas!!

Ross!!!!!!! -7F, wind chill -53F :eek: man you buggars get cold or what?!! that would be great I guess the bugs are dead... Hey Ross I just wondered hows your boat going? did you end up doing the charter thing you were talking about a year or so back?

reddog
02-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Shane;
For you thin blooded Aussies the best time to visit is August to September.Weather is usually at its best and the bugs,(blackflies,mosquitoes,no-see-ums,and wood ticks),arn't too bad.September to mid October is really nice but you may find the nights a bit cool.Then again if you are used to 30 plus degrees you'll find any summer day cool.25 degrees C.is a real fine summer day.
Sailing is great with steady afternoon winds and clear weather,generally.Lots to see and do.If you bring shorts,rain gear,sweater,hat,etc. you should be ok.
Yes it truely is paradise.
Earl

ken mcclure
02-16-2003, 01:27 PM
Just took a look out front here. It's snowing to beat the band with temp around 17 degrees F and winds at 15 to 25 mph. There's a snow drift now completely encircling SWMBO's car, and there's one trying to wrap up the truck. It's hard to tell how much snow we've gotten, since there are almost bare wind-scoured patches in the front yard and drifts that are 18" or so deep. The weather man is telling us to expect another 12" or more before it's done. Of course, this is the same weather man who last night told us there'd be less than an inch total accumulation. :rolleyes:

Sailman58
02-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Lee,

Don't you mean one car clear for now? The last forecast I saw said to expect as much tonight and tomorrow as we have already received. Also, no plows have been around here, so even if I did manage to temporarily clear the truck and a path to the street there would still be no place to go.

Ron

LeeG
02-16-2003, 03:22 PM
all right,,liberated another car. Not that I'm going anywhere with a 2wd van. Something is little weird is going on,,,people are driving f----g fast on packed snow,,,must be those snow tires I read about that modify mass/momentum when the brakes are applied.

Bruce Taylor
02-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Good old Subaru...started right off!

As a kid, I spent some miserable hours in an ice-shack on the Ottawa river. All in all, I'd rather be one of the guys on the road crew who stands around in the thirty below in an orange vest holding a sign saying "SLOW." At least those guys get paid.

Rocky
02-16-2003, 09:57 PM
I don't remember it ever snowing this hard when it was so cold - twelve degrees. Around here it usually warms up when it snows.

[ 02-16-2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Rocky ]

Mrleft8
02-16-2003, 10:09 PM
Me thinks it would be worth it just to get a fund up, to bring Dingo to the frozen north for a week.... Well, a day.... He wouldn't last more than a day....
-4 here again, and expecting a foot of snow tonight/tomorrow.

Ross Faneuf
02-16-2003, 10:51 PM
Shane -

Folks in church were handing about the lowest temperatures this week; -32F was the winner. But we have more wind (coldest for us was -14F).

Did the charter on the Lewis R French and had a real nice time. Then did a nice sail on Ceol Mor and had at least as good a time. Looking to get in at least a 2-week sail this year. Though at the moment Ma Nature has the 'no nude swimming' sign out.

Rocky
02-16-2003, 11:01 PM
Take him ice fishing and auto racing on Lake Champlain. They still do that, don't they?

Wild Wassa
02-16-2003, 11:06 PM
We understand extremes of temperature, but have forgotten what rain is. Rain, we dream of rain.

Dingo I hope you didn't waste your rain.

Canberra officially has had it's driest year on record 'today'(over the last 365 days). The driest since 1902. They started keeping records in 1902.

One day it will rain. It didn't rain last year either. All the dams are under 48.5%. Water restrictions are about to move to a servere level in Canberra. Don't complain if it rains.

Warren.

ps, When it rains it will flood around here, :D . Murphy's Law.

[ 02-16-2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Wild Dingo
02-16-2003, 11:39 PM
yeah Warren the dams are about the same here some have actually closed and are not being used as theyre too low... rain just soaked through the dry parched ground turned a few things a bit better color green but now alls dry again... sigh

Aussies as dry as all get out... that rain and humidity? lasted just that day! tada... beautiful again today excellent :cool:

Thanks Earl! good to know when the best time is... knowing me Id probably book to come in the height of winter and step of the plane to a blazing blizzard :rolleyes: but Im guessing if we ever did that some of our mates from here would be standin steadfast feet stuck hard in the snow and catch us as we fly past!! "aahhh I see you made it! nice little breeze were having isnt it?" HA! ;)

Ken Bruce and everyone heres a question thats playin in my head just now as I write this...if the cars are snowed in and the snowplow cant get there how the heck do you fellas get to work?... must be a lot of home businesses up there I guess :cool:

Ross... Ceol Mor that was her! how are things going with her? Did you ever set up that syndicate idea you had?

So alright you fellas Ive got a pic of Michael snow slipping with his neighbors and Ive got one of Joes frozen snowed in mansion on the mountain... show me da photos! :D

Sorry about the complaint Warren I was just stunned... rain? in the middle of summer? dark at 3pm in the middle of summer? Those are things of wonder!

Mrleft8
02-17-2003, 12:05 AM
Ken Bruce and everyone heres a question thats playin in my head just now as I write this...if the cars are snowed in and the snowplow cant get there how the heck do you fellas get to work?... must be a lot of home businesses up there I guess

What? Are you crazy?! What do you think "Dog sleds" And fourwheel drives are for?
If your Jeep can't make it out, it's a "snow day". Other than that, it's just a pain in the ass...

Joe (SoCal)
02-17-2003, 12:09 AM
-4 here this morning tub frose today got to get some heat tape on it tomorrow. All other pipes are doing fine thank you.

Primary requirements are layered clothing (down fill and/or Thinsulate are good), six to ten cords of split dry hardwood (preferably oak and maple), block heaters in your car, lip balm, hot rum toddies, and a sense of humour! I got the good sense of humor, you remember me doing snow angels in boxers, BBQ in -7 in shorts and T shirt , but Shane my friend Im done with this winter Im looking forward to spring.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/pfd77106ad107d5d4f928c9efd1cf8e96/fcfff0ed.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid43/p37c0136cc29151c269471ca4b130b3bf/fce3fbcf.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid45/pda80a6ae7b6c02b119cf9775db2108dc/fcd42ab2.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/p685c99c9fd31bc57f0f41fd146b60700/fcbe63f4.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/pe01f49d8da0cf48380ef39d8fe6e9189/fcbe5785.jpg

[ 02-17-2003, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

seafox61
02-17-2003, 01:13 AM
In utah 40Fs durring the night. going to church at one in the after noon spotty rain. an hour latter blizard. two hours latter going home spotty sunshine

hope it warms enough to buld a boat this week
jeffery

Tim.Diebert
02-17-2003, 01:15 AM
Not all of Canada is like our poor Eastern brothers climate.

Here in the Monashee Mountain range in Beautiful BC (That's British Columbia...don't get on the wrong plane) it is very temperate. Stays right around freezing most of the winter...non of this 20 below stuff for us. We get some snow....usually a foot or so stays on the ground through winter...earlyish spring and bathing suit weather often in March. I sail my boat on a beautiful lake about 20 minutes away. It is commonly 90-100 degrees on the water in the summer. Some days it is survival techniques...lots of swimming when the wind is down.

The last two days have been above freezing and we even had some rain today. The sunflower seeds under my feeder started to sprout today and I found a flower growing next to the shop...a Johnny Jump Up. Had some of these growing Dec. 15th as well...even took a picture. Just as the cold in the East is not usual...our winter has been a bit warm this year.
BTW, my neck of the Canadian woods has very few mosquitoes. Mostly because it is quite a dry area I think.

If you are going to come to Canada, BC is the place to go lad.(I have done time in both Ontario and PEI tongue.gif ) Show up in Grand Forks and you have a place to stay...and if you show in a month or so we can go sailing too.

Oh, and I have a bear story too. From this weeks paper. A young bear has been hanging around the ski hill for a while. Seems he thinks it's Spring too.

PeterSibley
02-17-2003, 04:27 AM
I'm seriously impressed!!!!!That is bloody cold! Love the photos Joe.Here in Oz, East coast, Northern NSW.........Ive spent the last week screwing down a roof in the sun...lots and lots of sun!! Say 34 to 36 C in the shade...on the roof, who knows...probably 45 in the sun.Man I have got to find another way of turning a $ :D

Bruce Taylor
02-17-2003, 08:08 AM
Ken Bruce and everyone heres a question thats playin in my head just now as I write this...if the cars are snowed in and the snowplow cant get there how the heck do you fellas get to work?... Oh, the snowplow can get there. When you hear about areas being paralyzed by snowstorms you're hearing about cities that aren't accustomed to big blizzards. A few inches will bring some towns to a halt (balmy Toronto disgraced itself one winter by calling in the army!), but we true Northerners expect the worst and are ready for it.

Montreal has the most efficient snow-removal system I've seen anywhere. After a big blizzard, the machinery comes to life and works all night while the good citizens sleep. First, the tow truck comes and drags illegally parked cars off the road. A team of traffic cops enter license numbers into a centralized computer system, which keeps track of where the cars are dumped (and how much the owner owes). Then a weird caravan goes snaking through the dark streets making a terrible din. At the front is a police escort, lights flashing. Next is a huge snowblower with its funnel turned backwards to fill a dumptruck that crawls along behind it. Behind that truck is a line of empty trucks, waiting their turn. When one truck is full, it roars off to dump the snow and another pulls into its place. At the end of the parade, another truck comes to lay down a layer of salt and sand.

It's a fine sight for a three-year-old boy.

Now, up here in Wakefield, we've got a pretty low-tech system, but it rarely lets us down. But I did mention the Subaru, right? All wheel drive will get you there.

Joe (SoCal)
02-17-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by PeterSibley:
I'm seriously impressed!!!!!That is bloody cold! Love the photos Joe.Here in Oz, East coast, Northern NSW.........Ive spent the last week screwing down a roof in the sun...lots and lots of sun!! Say 34 to 36 C in the shade...on the roof, who knows...probably 45 in the sun.Man I have got to find another way of turning a $ :D Hey Pete I got a boat building buddy, worked on his yack in my barn this winter. He is a roofer, in our area he uses the high end HEAVY stuff like slate and copper. He was working on an old Victorian just off the river in town. I stopped by to see him on a -10 deg day with the wind wiping at 20 knots off the Hudson. He is in full expedition gear with a climbing harness and carabiners. Later he said he felt like he was climbing the North face of EVEREST !!!!
:eek: :eek: Think about him the next time your working on a HOT roof. Neither job in both of those conditions are enjoyable.

Ron Williamson
02-17-2003, 01:08 PM
The road crews start at about 3am and by 6 if the roads and visibilty are still bad,the schools and highways get closed.You know it's bad when the snowplows get taken off the road.If that happens, you stay where you are.If you are away from home,you start knocking on doors.I had a guy the other day.He couldn't see where he was going,so he pulled off the road,into an unplowed summer house driveway,where he promply got stuck.So he started to walk.The first house he got to,with lights on,was mine.It was only about a mile,but this guy had had a kidney transplant,three weeks ago and a colostomy etc.We called three towing companies(all claimed to be TOO BUSY),then two showed up at once,as I was delivering him back to his vehicle.
Winter is lovely,but it takes some getting used to. smile.gif
R

ken mcclure
02-17-2003, 03:27 PM
:D Well, Shane, most of the guy who drive the snowplows have either a 4-wheel-drive vehicle or an old VW Beetle.

The way it works is you get out in the wee hours of the morning and shovel your own driveway. Then you hop in your vehicle and fight your way to the snowplow and go to work.

While you are working, someone else driving a snowplow plows the street in front of your house and leaves a huge pile of frozen slush right in front of your driveway. You finish your shift, come home and shovel the slush pile again so you can get back into your driveway.

Jim H
02-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Stan I canceled the paper so I would'nt have to go out in in such temps. :D

If I had a digital camera, I take a picture the the leaves sprouting from my three new blueberry bushes. :D tongue.gif

Joe (SoCal)
02-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Hey Guys we got another 2 FT of SNOW AND ITS STILL COMING DOWN :eek:

My wife who's almost as nutty as me got the bright Idea to dig out her circa 1980 skies and bindings and Ski DOWN our road. Now Our Road is a curvy mountain road with 18% grade so she got up some serious speed I followed her in the SUV and after the first run I became the chair lift. It was tooo much fun :D http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/p34c1b17cfd34fe6e2c39487eda6282f5/fca0317c.jpg

stan v
02-17-2003, 05:13 PM
JimH, my oak trees are putting leaves out, and I'm sure the bass are starting to make their beds. Son and I are going this week. Wasn't today just gorgeous? Not a cloud in the sky, and hit 60F! Man, I'll be glad when winter is over so I can take this thin long sleeve shirt off in the evening. :D

Nicholas Carey
02-18-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
Hey Guys we got another 2 FT of SNOW AND ITS STILL COMING DOWN :eek: [/IMG]My brother-in-law lives in Washington Heights. He's been cross-country skiing (he's from Duluth Minnesota) down Broadway to the cheers of the Dominican shopkeepers in the neighborhood.

I guess they don't get much opportunity to see either serious snow or X-C in the Dominican Republic :D