PDA

View Full Version : They do talk funny down there...

Captain Pre-Capsize
04-06-2005, 09:34 AM
We went to northern Florida for spring break and I had forgot just how thick the accent is for some folks down there. Naturally they kidded me about my northern accent.

For example, the word "pretty" actually has a "d" in it as in "purdy".

Another: when getting directions I was told to go to the "cushon lyte and make a right and then..."

WAIT! Go to the what?

"Well, you go to the cushon lyte".

STOP! Now, tell me again, I go first to the...

"You know, the yallow flashin' cushon lyte".

OHHH! The caution light - I get it. Two days later I overheard almost the exact same conversation from another couple from up north trying to get directions from a native. I nearly died laughing. At least I wasn't alone.
smile.gif

km gresham
04-06-2005, 09:37 AM
I didn't think there were any natives left in Florida. smile.gif

seayou77
04-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Reminds me of asking directions at a Mom and Pop corner store in Belmont Mass, The Boston area. I got exactly what I'd asked but whoah they were some complicated directions thru an industrial area with five points intersections... I could not have repeated his directions at the time but when I followed his route I arrived at my destination just as the coffee was prying my eyes open. Come to appreciate the way in an urban area where folks have lived all their lives. I became a frequent customer, coffee and homemade soups.

Captain Pre-Capsize
04-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by km gresham:
I didn't think there were any natives left in Florida. smile.gif Actually you are right. These folks had all crossed the border from Georgia.

Which reminds me of another exchange between myself and a young lady. (I have noticed that as I age along there are a LOT more young ladies out there. :D )

I commented on her accent and asked where she was from originally. She replied, "Joe-jahh".

Thick, I'm tellin' you.

[ 04-06-2005, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Captain Pre-Capsize ]

AngWood
04-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Yeah, but after 17.5 years down south, those nasal midwestern accents sure sound funny. A visiting Minnesotan last week told me she appreciated how "warm" it was, pronouncing the "a" in "warm" like the "a" in "snap."

km gresham
04-06-2005, 12:12 PM
The most confounding directions are those including phrases like these: "turn left where the Piggly wiggly USED to be". :D

[ 04-06-2005, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

km gresham
04-06-2005, 01:57 PM
:D

John B
04-06-2005, 04:38 PM
speaking of accents I have a question . ( we don't have accents here ;) )
Being home at the moment because of the frequent long distance telephone calls to Ruth on the big white telephone.... I saw a Bewitched re run yesterday.
question. where is her accent from ,regionally speaking? No hurry. I've only wondered all my cognitive life. smile.gif

Beowolf
04-06-2005, 08:52 PM
If I remember the show correctly, I'd say she is straight up Mid-western (Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio...)

Now as for "I Dream of Genie"...?

Jeff

cs
04-07-2005, 06:16 AM
I ain't got no accent. And if those of you who have heard me disagree, well I say you're wrong.

Chad

edited to add:

Joe (CSOH) is the one that talks funny. ;)

[ 04-07-2005, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: cs ]

Joe (SoCal)
04-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Chad howyoudoing, I Doint Twalk funne forgetaboutit you da one wit a freakin accent ;)

As fer givin directions ta strangers bwaaa haha I just give em the bum stare and keep walken let some other poisun help dat looooosa I got things ta do I'm freakin busy. ;)

I remember I was in some sort of pigley wiggly store driving down south. I was on line to pay for a soda (not pop or soda pop just a freakin soda ;) ) Anyway the check out had like 3 people to check out, but because of all the " how yaaaaaaaaaaaa'all dooooooing, ahhh shucks, well ya know it sho gunna be a hot one to daaaaay, aint that so, bless yer heart , yaaaaa'all have a guuud daaay, shug' It took such a freaking loong time to pay for the damn soda I had finished the whole thing before I even paid for it smile.gif When she started in with the " how yaaaaaaaaaaaa'all ...... I slapped down $2 keepthechange and walked out. Things certainly are slower in the south ;)

As opposed to a good ol Greek or Korean dinner in NYC where ya walk in and ask for a lightandsweet ( that is a light and sweet coffee ) they snatch the money and hand you a hot cup of coffee with the cream still spinning and change in your hand looking past you yelling NEXT!. :D

[ 04-07-2005, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

cs
04-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Joe, we like it that way. All the rush rush of the city is way to fast. Rather have a nice talk and take my time.

Chad

Joe (SoCal)
04-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Chad I like it too smile.gif and as I get older I like it more and more. When we moved up to this sleepy little town I had to adjust to the slower pace. Now my wife and daughter tug at my sleeve come on stop yaking with the counter person we have to go smile.gif I think I would fit in down south now but aint no way I'm talking funny like dat ;)

cs
04-07-2005, 07:52 AM
Give me a month or two and I would have you talking like me.

The wife said she never would like country music, a few months later I had her hooked.

Just takes time. ;)

Chad

Joe (SoCal)
04-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Tell ya what chad ya might be correct. I have this very weird ability to pick up accents very well. I drive through new england and at the end I sound like a freaking Gloucester Lobsterman. I go down south and I start with the yaaaa'aall.

Mrleft8
04-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by cs:
Give me a month or two and I would have you talking like me.

The wife said she never would like country music, a few months later I had her hooked.

Just takes time. ;)

ChadSo.... Yer saying it's an addiction... A "monkey on yer back" so to speak. One of those things that you know you should never have tried in the first place, but now you gotta have it, no matter how much you hate it, and wish you were clean again..... It tears you apart from the inside. You lose your friends, your house, your dawg dies, yer wife runs off with the pool boy... And all you really want is another hit of Toby Keith..... :D

cs
04-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Excatly, now you've got it figured out.

Chad

bamamick
04-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Depends on where you were, Captain, but you probably were not speaking to native Floridians. Unless they are from someplace west of Tallahassee then your native Floridian sounds a lot like someone from the northeast. I have a friend who is a third generation Floridian who sounds northeastern, all the way.

I struck up a friendship at a sailing event once with a young lady from the northeast. She was at Yale, but was originally from Stamford, Conn. She once told me that I just didn;t 'seem' like I would be from Alabama. I just laughed and asked her what someone from Alabama would 'seem' like? I guess the bottom line is that it is still a melting pot, and we are all blending towards each other all the time.

I guess that I told you about my daughter making the radio commercial for Pizza Hut that time? These were for the Chattanooga and northern Georgia market. The guy making the commercial kept telling my daughter (who was born and raised here in south Alabama) to 'sound more southern'. I don't think that they ever used the spots.

I just got back from visiting another daughter in Boise. Well, Boise looks just like the eastern shore of Mobile Bay, except they have mountains and we have water. Same houses. Same stores. Same television and newspaper. The same stuff. Sooner or later there won't be anymore 'southern' accent, and the world will be a sadder place, imo. Can you imagine a Maine without lobstahs? I don't think that I even want to.

Mickey Lake

Peter Kalshoven
04-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Joe, I don't understand it. The line moves quickly here in SC.... oh, except when we get a Yankee in the line. Then we slow WAY down. We figure a little aggravation will keep a Yankee from becoming a Damn Yankee.

(You know the difference, don't ya? A Yankee's heading North, a Damned Yankee is headed South. :D )

Joe (SoCal)
04-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Whhaaaaaaatever pete ;)

km gresham
04-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Pete, you're telling our secrets. :eek: smile.gif

Joe (SoCal)
04-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Dats funny cause the other people on that line I was waiting on down south were all locals. So I guess it's one big ol con-sprear-acy they all knew I was a damn Yankee and they all were in on moving sloooooow smile.gif

Dang if thats the case wonder what would happen if a wold bus load of damn Yankees came down would it shut down the southern economy to halt so ya'all cant teach us a lesson ;)

[ 04-07-2005, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Peter Kalshoven
04-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Nah, Joe, we'd just slow it down long enough to empty your pockets, than very nicely get y'all back on the bus, and send y'all home. (It's not that hard, really. How much didja say y'all spent on that "soda"?)

:D :D :D :D

(Come on back down, Joe, we'll feed you some shrimp and grits, and show y'all a good time.)

Pete

Wild Dingo
04-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Whew! Here I thought ol Capn was havin a go at us mob down here an all the time hes takin the phiss outta yous lot well thank flamin eck for that!! ;)

YOUS ALL talk flamin weird to us mob! North South East West whatever yerve all got totally weird lingos... rollin yer ars an ahs an youalls an yos gawd strewth how the ell yer every unnastan each others beyon me :rolleyes: :D

Peter Kalshoven
04-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Wild Dingo, once again you prove the point...Our countries are separated by a common language... I think. :confused:

Wild Dingo
04-07-2005, 03:00 PM
nah mate we talk Aussie aint nuthin like yer lingos... notice I said lingos thats plural!! gawd the NY lingo is totally different to the Sth Carolinan lingo which is utterly different to the San FranSisco one which is completely opposing to the Texan one and on and on... yous blokes just dont know how to keep things consistant!!

There should be one lingo for all Americans... American!! None of the colloquial gunk just plain nasal American that way us fellas wont have a giggle fit listen to yers! :D Just like us Aussies dont find us fellas yakkin away with differnet lingos do yer?

Dont go callin it English either it aint!! I aint got no plum in me gob mate! :mad:

mmmm what was the topic again?? :rolleyes:

Beowolf
04-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Karen, I kept meaning to bring this up.

I spent a week in Columbia last February for a conference. The weather was unseasonably warm and I had a great time. In my opinion, Columbia is extremely similar to East Lansing, here in Michigan. Especially the character of the downtown area. Had a great time. Many trips to the Salty Nut.

Jeff.

Mrleft8
04-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Dang if thats the case wonder what would happen if a wold bus load of damn Yankees came down would it shut down the southern economy to halt so ya'all cant teach us a lesson Did that once before Joe. They call it "The war of northern agression" or, "The great conflagration". Up here we call it "that sad state of affairs, when the ho-dads got all fussy". :D
Let's face it, the north won "the war". "The war" is over. You lost. Get over it and move on.

km gresham
04-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Glad you enjoyed it Jeff! Shoulda hollered (excuse me, you should have given us a call :D ) and we'd have joined you. smile.gif February can be tricky - we go to Charleston then for the Wildlife Expo and we've had everything from snow, to rain to warm, sometimes hot sunshine. Life in the Southern climate. Far better in February than June, July or August! :eek: :rolleyes: smile.gif

Halftime, lefty, jes halftime, fella. ;) smile.gif

[ 04-07-2005, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

km gresham
04-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Exactly right, Jack. smile.gif coca cola if you have a little age on you.

Joe (SoCal)
04-08-2005, 07:08 AM
JTA I did have a REAL Coke once in Texas. Seems the coke was made in a bottling plant in Mexico and they used the OLD formula with REAL cane sugar instead of corn syrup. WOW much better.

Karen I love to travel experience different culture and art and food and boats. You ever been to NY ? Youze guys ever make it to Yankee land I would take ya to a real New Yawk Pizza place Lombardies. Then we can head up to the Bronx and see some real Yankees play towards another world series ;)

Ya know what they say if it aint in New Yawk it don't exist. Go ahead name something and Ill tell ya where you can get it in NY :D

Originally posted by km gresham:
Halftime, lefty, jes halftime, fella. ;) smile.gif Yea kinda like Shermans march to the sea ;) ;)

[ 04-08-2005, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Joe (SoCal)
04-08-2005, 07:52 AM
MIke Ya'll just need to work a little on your self esteem thatís all ;)

pipefitter
04-08-2005, 09:24 AM
When I get older I am gonna move up north and drive slow.

km gresham
04-08-2005, 09:29 AM
:D And talk slower!

[ 04-08-2005, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

Captain Pre-Capsize
04-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
[QB]Go ahead name something and Ill tell ya where you can get it in NY :D Well Joe, try this one on. I had the most repulsive "snack" down there. Boiled peanuts. Boiled in sea water. UGH! Seems they don't eat popcorn or pretzels around the bar but rather these awful mushy boiled peanuts. Whoever thought of such a thing? Yech!

Stiletto
04-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Hey Joe can you get a kumara in New York? :D

Hughman
04-08-2005, 09:21 PM
How about bull lips for your trotline? :D

Joe (SoCal)
04-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Captain Pre-Capsize:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
[QB]Go ahead name something and Ill tell ya where you can get it in NY :D Well Joe, try this one on. I had the most repulsive "snack" down there. Boiled peanuts. Boiled in sea water. UGH! Seems they don't eat popcorn or pretzels around the bar but rather these awful mushy boiled peanuts. Whoever thought of such a thing? Yech!</font>[/QUOTE]http://www.entrepreneur.com/Magazines/Copy_of_MA_SegArticle/0,4453,292136,00.html

bamamick
04-09-2005, 12:20 AM
I will give you that about the peanuts. Disgusting. My wife and youngest daughter will eat them by the can. They absolutely love 'em.

I call them mole crickets, because they look just like mole crickets boiled in oil. Yuck.

Mickey Lake

ccoffer
04-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Good boiled p-nuts used to be a given down here. They have become a rarity. Them things they put in cans are not edible.

brian.cunningham
04-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by JTA:
Joe,

"I was on line to pay for a soda (not pop or soda pop just a freakin soda"...

You never made it to the South. In the true South, soda is a box of white stuff you cook with. When you went to the quick stop you were buying a coke. Doesn't matter if it is Sprite, Dr. Pepper whatever.

JackI remember my 1st time out of NE, I was in Chicago and ask for a 'tonic', the waitress was sad to report that they did not serve alchohol there. :confused: No 'tonic' as in CocaCola LOL

Of course now that I've lived all other the US I've got the most screwed up accent.
The loved it in Dallas when I ask to look at the computer 'datar'
Now that I've been to Michigan I ask "You need to go to the 'kah warsh'?

They also lisp when they talk, not a speech impediment, just part of the accent!

Wild Wassa
04-09-2005, 06:05 PM
"They do talk funny down there ..." ... down where? We all talk funny when we are down there.

Any-yow', airgun Skippers. Didyaorl'avagoodweegen', last weegen' ? ... G'd'onya!

It is amazing how regional languages are so different ... we all watch the same TV shows, :confused: . My buddy Colin, is a Floridian ... but he is funny even when he is not yabbin'.

I have a friend who came to Oz, and at Custons he, was asked, "Did you come here today"? Chandra an Indian said, "I did not come here to die." "No Mate, did you come here today." "No, I did not come her to die, I came to study, I'm not intending to die."

Chandra never really picked up on it during the time he was here, despite him being the most eloquent speaker that I've heard ... it takes a lifetime to twist it proper'.

Warren.

[ 04-09-2005, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]