View Full Version : Very quick tax question: Employee's withholding allowance certificate

10-09-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm starting a new job tomorrow, and need to submit my "W-4 Emoloyee's Witholding Allowance Certificate" and tell them how much tax I would like them to take out of my pay check each month.

Because of some contract work that I did over the last couple of months, I would like to have the maximum amount taken out of my taxes untill the end of the year. I would rather pay it out now and not have to worry than pay later.

To get the maximum taken out I would claim "0" as the total allowances right? I usually claim 1, and get some back, but not a ton.

I know this is a simple and silly question, but in all of the documents I could find it wasn't simply stated...that's the IRS for you.

Paul Pless
10-09-2005, 08:18 PM
yeah claim 0

10-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Good luck with your new job.

I'm sure you've discussed that contract work aboard the Hinckley (hint hint).

10-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the comments and answers.

Actually yes, I did have things pretty sweet this summer. I did a fair bit of contracting for marketing and e-commerce, and the Shleburne Shipyard put in Wi-Fi towards the end of the summer. That meant sitting on the boat and doing work. Sometimes with a beer in hand...

I'm actually going to work for Burton Snowboards, so it should be lots of fun. The one trick will be that my girlfriend already works there...time to carpool (8 minute drive)and share lunches. We are on different sides of the building, which is good!

I will let you all know how it goes after tomorrow,

Bruce Hooke
10-09-2005, 08:39 PM
I believe you can even request that some additional amount be withheld, BUT, if you have been doing contract work in any significant amount what I would suggest you do SOON is sit down and figure out roughly how much tax you are going to owe on the money you earned from contract work (don't forget to figure in the "Self-employment tax" A.K.A. Social Security). If you are not used to it, the bite that taxes take out of income from contract work is likely to suprise you, and a small adjustment to your withholding for your job may well not be nearly enough. If I were in your shoes I would want to know sooner rather than later if I was going to owe a bunch of money on tax day. Also, you may well owe estimated taxes and face a penalty if you don't pay the estimated taxes that you should have been paying.

P.S. Good luck at your new job!

[ 10-09-2005, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Hooke ]

Paul Girouard
10-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Noah:
Thanks for the comments and answers.

time to carpool (8 minute drive)
I will let you all know how it goes after tomorrow,

NoahShouldn't ya both be walking to work ? 8 min drive, what a 15 min walk!

And yes you can have more taken out each week , just write in the amount .

PS what did you do with that cherry head board thingie?

[ 10-09-2005, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Paul Girouard ]

10-09-2005, 09:04 PM
It would be a 30 minute walk to work, and a 15 minute bike.

I will be biking as long as the weather holds out. I figure my first day probably isn't the best to bike, but after that it's fair game.

The headboard came out ok. I will take some shots of it. There cherry was mostly sap wood, so it didn't have great color. I ended up using an amber shellack and it the color it added helped the wood out quite a bit. It's nothing amazing, but looks much better than the wall.