PDA

View Full Version : Labs, lab mixes

LeeG
09-07-2004, 10:05 AM
it's time for lab thread.

Miles the wonder dog. Lived 13yrs. Lab/Rot mix. Stealth black at night,,like a hole in space. Goof ball. Ate all the wrong things. Not a runner but good jogger before hips got stiff. 120lbs with a big head,,legs too long and skinny for lab or Rott but made it easier to rest his chin on a table top. Looked like Ahnold/lab mix.

Igby,,80lbs,,kind of flatulant at the moment,,oooh we gotta go.

Alan D. Hyde
09-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Our youngest daughter has a yellow lab, now three years old. Here's a photo of his sire: a dead ringer for Duke himself:

http://www.infodog.com/wm00/garden/SN46867101.JPG

Alan

Jack Heinlen
09-07-2004, 10:59 AM
It's an interesting topic, one I've thought about a bit.

My experience with Labs, real purebred Labs by which I mean of English stock that actually conform to the breed standard, is mostly positive. I did know a beautiful, big male who was aggressive and territorial, but most I've known were lovers with all creatures, great and small.

And I've never known an 'American' type that was truly bad-tempered, but they've also been sorta goofy, in the way of over-bred dogs, ie. not terribly bright. The 'American' dog has, in my opinion, been over bred because of their popularity. If you look at the breed standard they are way far away from it: long legged, shallow chested, and hound-headed. It doesn't mean one can't make a good pet, but no matter their papers they just aren't Labrador Retrievers.

Breeding. A mutt with sound parents will make a sound dog. It won't, as the myth goes, be automatically sound in health and temperment if the lines aren't. Same with purebred dogs.

Alan D. Hyde
09-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Jack, you'll notice from the photo that Duke and his sire have the English bloodlines, with the more squared-off head and chest and shoulders: more the Newfoundland look.

They're both from crosses with American bloodlines, so they tend to have some of the good health and intelligence associated with the term "hybrid vigor."

Alan

mmd
09-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Caramel is four-and-a-half months old now. She weighs about 14.5 kg (32 lbs) and is training well. She is still too easily distracted to go off-lead in crowds, but obeys walking commands well when we go hiking on the coastal trails or in the woods near our house. She loves the water and is ecstatic when we visit HR and his two Portuguese Water Dogs. She still thinks that the cat is her personal play-toy, which doesn't sit well with the cat at all. Maureen & Gwyn have returned to school so Caramel is left with boring ol' me all day. She copes by dragging all her toys into my office while she builds up energy for the explosion of glee when the girls get home at four.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid138/p39cb817e75584d4dd41f50cebb4be721/f71b5f64.jpg