PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Loss and Lost

Lima Bean
09-12-2001, 02:44 PM
I take back every time I complained about where I live, and being in LIMA, OHIO. Many will joke and tease about being Lost In Middle America being an acronymn for LIMA, and that if you live there you must be lost. I am still numb and shocked from the horrific events, and can only faintly imagine the loss of human life in comparison to those who witnessed the events. It seemed surreal to watch from work on TV in the middle of a corn field and with jaw slack and brain numb feel as if nothing can make it right.

Today I received this from a good friend and felt compelled to log in and share it in the hopes that we see the sub-text in this wonderful document that so wonderfully depicts who we are as Americans, and a Country that has pride and honor for what we have in life, and sadly enough in death as well.

Thank you for giving me space to think 'out loud'.

Lima Bean

This, from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing.

America: The Good Neighbor.

Widespread but only partial news coverage was given recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator. What follows is the full text of his trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional Record:

"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth. Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes.

Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars! into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans.

I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10?

If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles.

You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon -! not once, but several times - and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."

Stand proud, America!

Billy Bones
09-12-2001, 03:09 PM
Wow. Thanks.

ken mcclure
09-12-2001, 03:39 PM
!!!!!!! I can't find a smiley that has both a smile and a tear.

It's good to have friends.

thechemist
09-12-2001, 04:09 PM
Well said.

nedL
09-12-2001, 04:20 PM
Thank You. It is good to have neighbors like that.

Bruce Taylor
09-12-2001, 04:22 PM
Ah, good old Gord Sinclair. He's been dead for quite some time. The editorial you printed is an altered version of the one Sinclair recorded in 1973, when the U.S. dollar was taking a beating. A version of that speech was issued on 45, with the Battle Hymn of the Republic playing in the background. The record went gold, I believe. I remember it was included on one of the old K-Tel Super Hits collections.

Here's the original:

"LET'S BE PERSONAL" Broadcast June 5, 1973 CFRB, Toronto, Ontario

Topic: "The Americans"

The United States dollar took another pounding on German, French and British exchanges this morning, hitting the lowest point ever known in West Germany. It has declined there by 41% since 1971 and this Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least-appreciated people in all the earth.

As long as sixty years ago, when I first started to read newspapers, I read of floods on the Yellow River and the Yangtse. Who rushed in with men and money to help? The Americans did.

They have helped control floods on the Nile, the Amazon, the Ganges and the Niger. Today, the rich bottom land of the Misssissippi is under water and no foreign land has sent a dollar to help. Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy, were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of those countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When the franc was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When distant cities are hit by earthquakes, it is the United States that hurries into help... Managua Nicaragua is one of the most recent examples. So far this spring, 59 American communities have been flattened by tornadoes. Nobody has helped.

The Marshall Plan .. the Truman Policy .. all pumped billions upon billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now, newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent war-mongering Americans.

I'd like to see one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplanes.

Come on... let's hear it! Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tristar or the Douglas 107? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all international lines except Russia fly American planes? Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or women on the moon?

You talk about Japanese technocracy and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy and you find men on the moon, not once, but several times ... and safely home again. You talk about scandals and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everyone to look at. Even the draft dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, most of them ... unless they are breaking Canadian laws .. are getting American dollars from Ma and Pa at home to spend here.

When the Americans get out of this bind ... as they will... who could blame them if they said 'the hell with the rest of the world'. Let someone else buy the Israel bonds, Let someone else build or repair foreign dams or design foreign buildings that won't shake apart in earthquakes.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke. I can name to you 5,000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble.

Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbours have faced it alone and I am one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles.

I hope Canada is not one of these. But there are many smug, self-righteous Canadians. And finally, the American Red Cross was told at its 48th Annual meeting in New Orleans this morning that it was broke.

This year's disasters .. with the year less than half-overů has taken it all and nobody...but nobody... has helped.

ORIGINAL SCRIPT AND AUDIO
COURTESY STANDARD BROADCASTING CORPORATION LTD.

(c) 1973 BY GORDON SINCLAIR

PUBLISHED BY STAR QUALITY MUSIC (SOCAN)

A DIVISION OF UNIDISC MUSIC INC.

578 HYMUS BOULEVARD

POINTE-CLAIRE, QUEBEC,

CANADA, H9R 4T2

Scott Rosen
09-12-2001, 04:23 PM
Someone emailed that to me at just about the same moment you posted it. Thanks for posting. And thank you to our good friends across the border. They know us best of all, as they are our closest neighbors.

Jack Baker
09-12-2001, 04:24 PM
Lima, Thanks for sharing that piece. I spent a 20 years with a large, multi-national corporation, made regular overseas trips, and had regular discussions with colleagues around the world. Many overseas colleagues jumped at the chance to travel to the US, or even better to have US assignments and often voiced similar themes to the ones you shared. I hope we have the wisdom and patience as a country to step back from the carnage of the events yesterday and give a careful, reasoned approach to what happened and what we should do next. The chinese language uses two characters to describe crisis: "danger" and "opportunity". Imagine believing so deeply in something that you are willing to die for it. Other than dying to protect my children, I have a hard time fathoming that state of mind. We have a lot to be thankful for as a country, and to a great extent most US citizens are uninformed about other parts of the world and their problems. I fully support the position of finding those responsible, and those that harbored or supported the terrorists, and make them accountable. I would also like to try to understand the mindset that would cause someone to hate us as a country (or a symbol) that they are willing to die to make their point. In that effort maybe we can find some opportunity to understand what happened and why, and to prevent futher occurences.

Lima Bean
09-12-2001, 04:30 PM
Bruce, I suspected that it was a reprint. Nice to get the history behind the man and literary significance. Eiery how it fits today as much it did then. Saw some excerpts of foriegn broadcasts about the events from yesterday and picked up on the sentiments that were not very supportive of us as a country and made the cloaked statements that inferred that we got some of what we had doled out over the years. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/mad.gif

dasboat
09-12-2001, 05:21 PM
Thanks Lima.Beautiful thoughts and needed.I could care less about the historical accuracy.They came to us today from a live person who cares.That is important!
Das

True Love
09-12-2001, 06:17 PM
Thank you, Lima. I really needed to read that. I really appreciate your sharing it.

I'm from Texas. I just saw an interview with a NYC rescue worker at WTC. He and all the others were just evacuated from the area due to fear that another building is about to come down. In essence, he said "we ran out together - you grab the arm of the guy on your left and the arm of the guy on your right, and you run out together. No selfishness here. We are a team in this thing. New Yorkers may have an attitude 364 days of the year, but, God forbid, it we're attacked like this on the 365th, enemies become friends and get the job done." I love Texas and am the typically proud Texan, but I must say today, that I feel just as proud, if not more so, of New York City and her citizens. I've always loved visiting NYC and have had nothing but positive interactions with its citizens. But they are outdoing themselves right now, and my prayers are with them.

Thanks for letting me take up some bandwith.

With tears in my eyes, and resolve in my heart - TL

Bruce G
08-30-2004, 10:29 PM
Bump

Bruce G
08-31-2004, 09:16 PM
not time to forget yet

imported_Dutch
08-31-2004, 11:13 PM
bruce douchebag

George Roberts
09-01-2004, 01:27 AM
Lima Bean ---

You cut and pasted:

"Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble?"

There were a lot of people who helped America.

The French around 1776. Some indians before and after 1776.

Panama since early 1900's. Great Britian since WWI.

Russia in WWII. Those nice people at Bikiki Atoll after WWII.

W. Germany After WWII. A few Carribian island nations since WWII. Israel since WWII.

Recently: Egypt, China, S. Korea, Japan, Canada, Mexico.

I left out a lot of others who have helped the U.S. And I left out the details on purpose.

My country's friends gave what they could when they could. Keeping score when you give assistance is poor form.

Bruce G
09-01-2004, 07:36 AM
looks as if the neolibs do not like to be reminded for they would rather be lulled to sleep by their liberal shepherd, Kerry.