PDA

View Full Version : Blacks and the Democratic party.

alteran
12-07-2004, 08:48 AM
This article goes beyond the firing on Mfume and has some interesting comments on blacks, the democratic party and voting.

I've posted the first part click for the whole thing, it worth reading.

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=5954

NAACP Head Mfume Didn't Retire, He Was Booted Out
by Armstrong Williams
Posted Dec 6, 2004

Don’t believe the well scripted press conference where former President and Chief Executive Officer of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Kweisi Mfume, announced his resignation. Mfume did not resign from the nation’s oldest and most prestigious civil rights organization. He was kicked out, following a long simmering feud with NAACP Chairman Julian Bond.

The two began feuding after Mfume nominated National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice for his 2003 NAACP Image Award. Furious that Mfume was reaching out to the Bush administration, Bond responded by nominating "Boondocks" cartoonist Aaron McGruder for his Image Award. McGruder had ridiculed Rice in his comic strip and later called her a “murderer” for her role in the war in Iraq.

The rift grew as Mfume continued to reach out to the Republican Party. Mfume realized that by reflexively voting Democrat in every election, the black voting populace has given away most of their political bartering power. After all, what incentive is there for either party to go out on a limb for blacks, if it is taken for granted that blacks will automatically vote Democrat?

[ 12-07-2004, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: alteran ]

km gresham
12-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Any group that reliably, reflexively votes for one party, no matter what will soon lose any political power it might have had. As Mfume (Fizzell Gray - I see why he changed his name!) points out, there is no incentive for the democrat party to do anything to benefit the black population. As long as they can continue to talk the talk and not walk the walk and still get the votes, they will do just that.

High C
12-07-2004, 08:58 AM
I wonder how many replies will pass before some left wing nut job makes reference to racism?

[ 12-07-2004, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: High C ]

km gresham
12-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Mfume is racist? I wouldn't have guessed it. ;)

George.
12-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by km gresham:
Any group that reliably, reflexively votes for one party, no matter what will soon lose any political power it might have had. You mean like Fundies, anti-abortion nuts, gun nuts, and right-wing armchair soldiers? ;)

km gresham
12-07-2004, 09:29 AM
"Any group that votes reliably and reflexively for one party". That's what I said and that's what I mean. smile.gif I thought it was pretty clear.

Ian McColgin
12-07-2004, 10:14 AM
Nice try, but the article misses the point of this struggle. It's also an entertaining switch from the bashing the right wing press gave Mfume over a purported fight with a regional NAACP chair who happens to be a Republican.

Mfume and Bond are both former Congressmen with plenty of ego apeice. With Mfume both getting tired and needing to recharge for his coming shot at being Maryland's senator he really needed to catch some space. After his brilliant tenure putting NAACP back on a sound footing, it's well deserved and well honored, which is why Mfume and Bond, for all their tensions, are so enthusiasticly making nice with each other. The tension is real but so's the respect.

Mfume really did try to reach out to the R's and give the D's some reason to think. He's famous for asserting that black voters can support Republicans such as Connecticut Rep. Christopher Shays and former Maryland congresswoman Constance Morella.

Mfume rejects the political culture in which "one party takes us for granted and the other rejects us. . . . In some instances, we're like beggars sitting on bags of gold. We've got to learn to use our voting power to our advantage. . . . I'm not urging a black exodus from the Democratic Party, but I am suggesting that we should vote for candidates of any party who embrace our interests."

Nothing new here. W.E.B.DuBois broke with the Republicans in 1912.

The truth of a party's openness is in the reality. Bush went out of his way to snub Mfume's efforts and the NAACP in the last election. As Mfume summarized it,
the Republican's political capital with black voters "is the equivalent of Confederate dollars."

I look forward to seeing a Senator Mfume in 2006.

km gresham
12-07-2004, 10:47 AM
"famous for asserting that blacks can vote for Republicans such as ...". Why doesn't he assert that blacks can vote for whomever they like, regardless of party? He's still trying to tell them who they can vote for.

Big change.

Elco's
12-07-2004, 01:33 PM
I will appluad the IRS when they remove the "tax-exempt" status from the NAACP. Its about time they are forced to follow the same rules every other organization does willingly.

Ian McColgin
12-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Julian Bond's remarks, which clearly started the IRS on its mission here, do not apear any more out of line than the controversial Roman Catholic Bishop's remarks regarding the election.

501(c)(3)'s often research in influence public policy. They can even spend an insubstantial share of their resourses in direct lobbying. The 501(c)(3)'s face an absolute bar against 'political' activity - participation in a race.

One church actually has lost its 501(c)(3) - the Church at Pierce Creek took bought a rather fameous "Christians Beware" full page ad to oppose Clinton in 1992. I don't know if their appeal was successful. The federal congress in a classicly hysterical over-reaction has HR 235 somewhere in the works to allow clergy to not only preach on the issues of the day, not only meddle in the politics which as spiritual leaders they can and should and already do anyhow, but would allow them to spend church money in political races.

That's a long step past Bond's unpaid remarks before the NAACP board.

We could arrive at the curious position of allowing church's to spend money but continue to punish organizations like NAACP who have not spent dime one on political races.