PDA

View Full Version : Forged Docs a Kerry Dirty Trick?

Alan D. Hyde
09-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Modified Limited Hangout
The Rather story looks more and more like a partisan dirty trick.

Tuesday, September 21, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT

The big news in yesterday's mea culpa by CBS News isn't that the network was "misled" about "documents whose authenticity is in doubt," as it was finally forced to concede. The story is the admission that the source Dan Rather trusted with CBS's reputation was none other than Bill Burkett, a noted antagonist of President Bush.

Journalists--including us--use all manner of sources, of course, and many of them are partisans of one kind or another. But as much as possible we owe readers an indication of where those sources are coming from. And if those sources turn out to be wrong, as they sometimes are, then our obligation is to own up to the error as soon as possible.

The problem in this case is that before yesterday CBS never gave its viewers even a hint that its entire controversial story hinged on the word of someone who has made it one of his main goals in life to defeat Mr. Bush. Even after the documents on Mr. Bush's National Guard service were called into question, CBS refused to let viewers in on the secret of its source's motives.

This is the real scandal here, and it makes us wonder if Mr. Burkett is the end of this story. It isn't as if Mr. Burkett's motives were hard to discover. On August 25, addressing Mr. Bush in the second person, Mr. Burkett wrote in a Web posting, "I know from your files that we have now reassembled, the fact that you did not fulfill your oath, taken when you were commissioned to 'obey the orders of the officers appointed over you.' "

More intriguing, in an August 21 posting, Mr. Burkett said he had spoken with Max Cleland, the former Georgia Senator and fierce John Kerry advocate, about how to respond to Republican campaign tactics. "I asked if they wanted to counterattack or ride this to ground and outlast it, not spending any money. He said counterattack. So I gave them the information to do it with. But none of them have called me back."

This, believe it or not, is the source Mr. Rather described as "unimpeachable." The kindest interpretation is that the famous anchor and CBS were gullible. But perhaps they will forgive their audience for also now suspecting some partisan bias--especially in light of an interview with Mr. Rather that the trade publication Broadcasting & Cable published August 30.

Asked if the media were paying too much attention to the Swift Boat Veterans' criticisms of John Kerry, Mr. Rather replied: "In the end, what difference does it make what one candidate or the other did or didn't do during the Vietnam War? In some ways, that war is as distant as the Napoleonic campaigns." Yet nine days later Mr. Rather was reporting on Mr. Bush's National Guard service as if it were the story of a lifetime.

CBS said yesterday that Mr. Burkett admits giving "a false account of the documents' origins to protect a promise of confidentiality to the actual source." Mr. Burkett and CBS have not revealed that source, but we know he had contact with a Kerry surrogate, Mr. Cleland, who expressed a desire to "counterattack."

We also know that Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe was quick to offer his own theory--that Karl Rove had fabricated the documents. And we know that the day after Mr. Rather's report aired, the Democrats unveiled "Operation Fortunate Son," a campaign video about Mr. Bush's National Guard service that incorporated footage from "60 Minutes."

All of this raises the question of whether CBS was a vessel for, if not a willing participant in, a partisan dirty trick two months before a closely contested Presidential election. Last week Mr. Rather told the Washington Post that "if the documents are not what we were led to believe, I'd like to break that story." It was too late for that; Web writers and other news organizations had beaten him to it. But if CBS wants to restore the credibility it enjoyed back in the era of Edward R. Murrow, it will now get to the bottom of the story behind Mr. Rather's discredited story.

Courtesy of www.opinionjournal.com (http://www.opinionjournal.com)

Alan

LeeG
09-21-2004, 01:46 PM
There should be a commission on this. This is big.

"The problem in this case is that before yesterday CBS never gave its viewers even a hint that its entire controversial story hinged on the word of someone who has made it one of his main goals in life to defeat Mr. Bush"

[ 09-21-2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: LeeG ]

NormMessinger
09-21-2004, 01:50 PM
You dudes are biased so I see why you think the DNC might be behind it. However, it looks more like a Rove adventure. It's to slick to be an amataur's work. It had to be someone with experience. Can you name a Florida lawyer with similar experience. It collusion I tell ya.

Jim H
09-21-2004, 02:08 PM
The really funny thing about the forged memo is that anyone who has ever lived in Houston knows that all Post Office boxes have a 772 zip code. 770, 773, 774, & 775 are all for business and residential address'. BTW, when I was there in the 80's mail was delivered to the base (Ellington Field) not collected from a PO box.

km gresham
09-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Karl Rove did it. He's brilliant. And very persuasive with Dan Rather et al. ;) You'd think they'd wise up and not bite at such obvious bait from the VRWC. :D

Kev Smyth
09-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Yes, you'd think they would wise up- but they can't help it! Anybody but Bush- at any cost! ;)

Elco's
09-21-2004, 02:35 PM
I would like to see Mr. Rather doing some serious jail time for this one.

If he isn't prosecuted and made to suffer...then every election, the Dims will pull this kind of stuff.

They have no business in ANY political office...everyone of them, from Clinton on down, should be behind bars.

km gresham
09-21-2004, 02:38 PM
I don't know - if they're always this competent it won't be a problem for the Republicans. ;)

Look at it this way - CBS and Dan Rather did more to help GWB be re- :D elected than the Swift Boat Vets did.

[ 09-21-2004, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

Elco's
09-21-2004, 02:50 PM
What bothered me was how every news org, for days talked about those documents...nonstop.

Rather should be tarred and feathered and run out of the US.

Slowly and quetly, the gvt will crack down on "LIBERAL CONTROLLED MEDIA".

This is a perfect example of the Democrats doing anything and everything to win...thier "win at any cost" attitude includes treason and slander and making false statements and PUBLISHING FALSE INFORMATION AS REAL.

It is time for the Republican congress to slam the door on these heretiques of America!

Jim H
09-21-2004, 03:34 PM
From USA Today (http://usatoday.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=USATODAY.com+-+CBS+backs+off+Guard+story&expire= &urlID=11705426&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fnews%2Fpolitic selections%2Fnation%2Fpresident%2F2004-09-21-cove r-guard_x.htm&partnerID=1660)

Burkett said Ramirez told him she had seen him the previous month in an appearance on the MSNBC program Hardball, discussing the controversy over whether Bush fulfilled all his obligations for service in the Texas Air Guard during the early 1970s. "There is something I have that I want to make sure gets out," he quoted her as saying.

He said Ramirez claimed to possess Killian's "correspondence file," which would prove Burkett's allegations that Bush had problems as a Guard fighter pilot.

Burkett said he arranged to get the documents during a trip to Houston for a livestock show in March. But instead of being met at the show by Ramirez, he was approached by a man who asked for Burkett, handed him an envelope and quickly left, Burkett recounted.

"I didn't even ask any questions," Burkett said. "Should I have? Yes. Maybe I was duped. I never really even considered that."

By Monday, USA TODAY had not been able to locate Ramirez or verify other details of Burkett's account. Three people who worked with Killian in the early 1970s said they don't recognize her name. Burkett promised to provide telephone records that would verify his calls to Ramirez, but he had not done so by Monday night.

(Emphasis mine)

A convenient cover story, I'll bet he doesn't provide his phone records.

Mark Van
09-21-2004, 04:25 PM
Isn't it obvious? The documents came from the Republicans, to make Dan Rather and the Democrats look bad.

ljb5
09-21-2004, 04:41 PM
"The problem in this case is that before yesterday CBS never gave its viewers even a hint that its entire controversial story hinged on the word of someone who has made it one of his main goals in life to defeat Mr. Bush"But it's okay when O'Neill from the Swift Boat Veterans For Truth goes on a 30 year campaing to smear Kerry?

Jim H
09-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by ljb5:
But it's okay when O'Neill from the Swift Boat Veterans For Truth goes on a 30 year campaing to smear Kerry?O'Neill didn't go on a campaing to smear Kerry, he embarked on a campaign more than 30 years ago to tell the truth about Kerry.

Phillip Allen
09-21-2004, 05:36 PM
it's simple logic...if it is a lie then it's a smear...if not a lie, then those crying smear are in fact those doing the smearing. I don't know if it is truth or not at this time...

km gresham
09-21-2004, 05:48 PM
If it had worked and Dan and CBS hadn't been left with egg all over their face and if the public cared about 35 years ago then President Bush might be sliding in the polls.

As it is, Dan and CBS and the Kerry camp are scrambling, McAuliff is squealing that the Republicans did it, the family of the man who was supposed to have authored the memos wants an apology. President Bush is going about his presidential duties, speaking to the UN today, and the Kerry camp is in utter chaos, even though Kerry now insists he has one message on Iraq. Which one would that be, I wonder?

Yep, I'm sure now that Karl Rove did it! He probably sat up late at night re-re-copying the documents and making mysterious phone calls to Dan Rather. :D

swanko
09-21-2004, 06:13 PM
the whole thing is pretty bizarre. rather really pulled a boner.

however, what do you think bushie was up to in those days. he probably benefited from daddy's influence and didn't have to get shot at after learning to fly at the cost of say, a million bucks. and then he kinda didn't show up after he got bored with it. and didn't take the physical because he liked to drink, and smoke joints, and chase broads (george's wild years)and wouldn't have passed the drug test. he has already admitted to being a screw up and maybe an alcoholic.

as he phased out of the guard he went to work for red blount's senate campaign. red's another one of those guys with a big time construction/engineering co. and saudi connections (built the king faud university). the pattern is coincidential of course

and now he's the president. and maybe for four more years. hopefully at the end of that there will only be 50,000 dead in the middle east and the treasury will only be teetering upon bankruptcy (george tends to drill his businesses into the ground, you know). and americans, who have been asleep for the last 30 years, will finally pay attention to being politically aware as to who runs thier country. what's left of it.

km gresham
09-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Matter of fact, I think it was actually Karl Rove who covered for Bush when he was in the Guard! :D (This could be fun - blame everything the dems complain about on Karl Rove)

Pollution - Karl Rove, Poverty - Karl Rove, low poll numbers for dems - yep - Karl Rove. Kerry falling off snowboard, bike, whatever, Karl Rove. ;)

Meerkat
09-21-2004, 06:32 PM
More naugahyde - it feels good, but it's fake! :D

htom
09-21-2004, 09:56 PM
The CBS documents are fakes. Of what, if anything, and by who, and why, are yet to be determined.

Alan D. Hyde
09-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Well said, Jeff.

Alan

km gresham
09-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Exactly, Jeff.

And now back to the forged documents. Watergate begins to look less serious.

RNC Chairman Gillespie's Statement from Today's Conference Call {Obviously, forgery is involved
U.S. NewsWire ^

RNC Chairman Gillespie's Statement from Today's Conference Call

9/22/2004 12:12:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: National Desk, Political Reporter

Contact: Christine Iverson of the Republican National Committee Communications Office, 202-863-8614, Web: http://www.gop.com

WASHINGTON, Sept. 22 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Republican National Committee Chairman Ed Gillespie made the following comments during today's RNC conference call:

"Many questions still remain. Was a crime committed? I believe so. Obviously, forgery is involved. But the Texas Legal Code also says it is a third degree felony if one 'makes, presents, or uses any record, document, or thing with knowledge of its falsity and with intent that it be taken as a genuine governmental record' or 'makes, presents, or uses a governmental record with knowledge of its falsity.'

"Did the Kerry campaign know about the existence of the documents in question in advance of the CBS report? A chronology of events indicates they did.

"Bill Burkett says he made multiple contacts with the Kerry campaign in August, sending an e-mail newsletter on August 21 saying he talked to Kerry campaign seniors on Friday, August 20. The Kerry campaign told him they wanted to 'counterattack,' and he says he 'gave them the information to do it with.'

What did Kerry know and when did he know it?

Chris Stewart
09-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by km gresham:

the Texas Legal Code also says it is a third degree felony if one 'makes, presents, or uses any record, document, or thing with knowledge of its falsity and with intent that it be taken as a genuine governmental record' or 'makes, presents, or uses a governmental record with knowledge of its falsity.' Believe Rather's producer on this piece, Mary Mapes, is based in Dallas. So, what did she know and when did she know it?

High C
09-22-2004, 04:13 PM
There may also be an itty-biity little legal issue concerning the creation of false military documents? I could be wrong...