PDA

View Full Version : Kids & Music

cs
01-26-2006, 11:01 AM
I wonder if you guys have figured out that I love music? I'm just a big kid.

But anyway, I make a habit of listining to the music my kid listens too. This is not because I paticuraly like her music, but I want to make sure it is okay. You know some of this modern hip-hop is kinda scary and not really appropriate for a 13 year old.

But in my listning I've found some real gems, some that I consider keepers.

Young Geezy and Akon has a song called "Soul Survivor" and it is good. Akon has some good songs and so does Dreamstreet.

Do you guys ever open up and listen to today's music? If you open your mind and your ears, you might find something that you like.

Chad

ps Rap can even be good if you find the right one.

Wild Dingo
01-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Ive tried... seriously I have tried... but cant get into it one iota

But then the other day... I bought out my old Black Sabbath record and played War Pigs and the hoonberrys freaked out!! The poor old record hasnt been played so much in years... THEY LOVE IT!!

Mind you since then the hoons have dug out all my old tapes and records and have been goin totally crazy listening to them... Led Zep Def Leapard The Band Ozark Mountain Daredevils David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust) BB King Muddy Waters Pheobe Snow Hendrix and Joplin etc but the one they enjoyed nearly as much as Black Sabbath was Credence Clearwater Revival!! The one that blew them away was Santana... Bethany couldnt believe he was THAT old!! :D

They know Ive tried hard to understand the crap they listen to and so they decided to try to understand the "crap" I listen to... AND THEY LOVED IT!!! :cool: while I still hate theirs! :rolleyes: I do however like Rob Thomas and Matchbox 20 and listen to Smooth a heck of a lot so there! tongue.gif

George.
01-26-2006, 11:34 AM
A lot of "modern" music sounds like disrhythmic noise to me. But then again, at one point in my twisted youth, I rather enjoyed "Never Mind the Bollocks..." :D

Leon m
01-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Her is a song loved by kids and adults alike. :D

I don't go for fancy cars
For diamond rings
Or movie stars
I go for penguins
Oh lord i go for penguins

Throw your money out the door
We'll just sit around
And watch it snow
I go for penguins
Oh lord i go for penguins

Penguins are so sensitive
To my needs

To my needs
To my needs
To my needs
To my needs

To my needs
To my needs
To my needs

To my needs
To my needs
To my needs
To my needs
To my needs

To my needs

Tealsmith
01-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Whoa Dingo, you just took me way back with the Ozark Mountain Daredevil reference. Great band. I haven't heard them in years.

I've got my five year old requesting New
Grass Revival when were in the truck.

Wild Dingo
01-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Actually the Ozarks were a throwback to a part of my misspent youth when I fell ass over tit in lust for this raven haired young thing who played violin like a banshee on heat and liked nothing better than standing on Cable Beach at sunset in the nudie playin Ozark music... she introduced me to them ahem among other things! :eek: ;) ... I simply listened and was blown away... then we laid on the sand and... well... ahem...

and to this day I cant recall the names of any of their songs but love listening to the album she taped for me as we parted ways... but now Im listening to them again I often wonder what became of that young beautiful child of the sea and wind that could touch the freedom within me with a simple peice of music... beautiful girl beautiful times and beautiful music

She was trained in classical violin and could play some sweet music but loved to play the rip roarin hillbilly stuff... quite a contrast and the reason she ran away to Broome couldnt quite consile herself to the expectations expected of her by others wanted her freedom of expression and found it with a long haired wild crazy buggar on a windswept beach... amazing woman amazing times

The best memory I have of her was the morning she decided to make my tree house her home for a time... I woke to this beautiful sound (since learnt that it was a peice from Handels "Water Music") wafting from the dunes behind the treehouse I turned toward the sound to see this naked girl standing facing the Indian Ocean violing to her shoulder long flaxen hair billowing in the breeze... I walked up to her side and simply watched her in awe mesmerised by her look a distance etched in her tawny skin eyes closed as she became entranced in the music coming from her fingers and bow... wonderous way to start a day

aahh I do wonder what happened to that young girl from my far flung past :cool:

oooh right!! the Ozarks! great band and no I havent seen anything of them for many years now either

cs
01-27-2006, 07:15 AM
The Ozark Mountain Daredevils, my favorite song by them is "If You Wanna Get to Heaven, You Gotta Raise a Little Hell"

My daughter will listen to some of my old stuff. She likes some of my America songs and even some Blues Traveller. She is not paticurally fond of my heavy metal, but she does like some MegaDeth.

Chad

Leon m
01-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by cs:

My daughter will listen to some of my old stuff. I found that my dauhters really liked AC/DC. :cool:

cs
01-27-2006, 08:53 AM
My daughter looked at me strange the other day when I started signing along with the new Nike commercial where they use "Rock-N-Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Chad

Garrett Lowell
01-27-2006, 09:30 AM
AC/DC in tv commercials? I guess I AM old.

capt jake
01-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Do you guys ever open up and listen to today's music? If you open your mind and your ears, you might find something that you like.I do open my mind, and occasionally find some that I really like. More often than not, I don't.

Funny, my kids are the opposite. They come over, "Dad, listen to this!". It usually is a re-make of an older song (60's, 70's, 80's). smile.gif They all love the 'older' stuff. ;) smile.gif

Lately, I have really been getting the bug to start playing again. It has been many years since I basically abandoned my dream. I need to get the amplifier back from my son and start again. Who know's, if I get another position (one with a 'real' schedule) I might be able to join a band again. :eek:

[ 01-27-2006, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: capt jake ]