PDA

View Full Version : Politics 9-12-04

km gresham
09-13-2004, 07:16 AM
Humor:

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/toons/brookins/brook ins1.asp (http://www.jewishworldreview.com/toons/brookins/brookins1.asp)

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/toons/kelley/skelley1.asp

[ 09-13-2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

km gresham
09-13-2004, 08:56 AM
They need to let this go. It's not having the effect they were counting on.

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUN SEPT 12, 2004 19:02:38 ET XXXXX

DNC TO LAUNCH FRESH ATTACK ON BUSH GUARD DUTY: WILL RAISE QUESTIONS ABOUT 1978 CAMPAIGN LIT

**Exclusive**

Faster than a CBS eye can blink, dogged Dems are set to take to the airwaves anew hoping to keep questions about President Bush's National Guard duty in play, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Candidate Kerry apparently has rejected former President Clinton's advice not to get further locked in a 2004 Vietnam quagmire.

"George W. Bush's campaign literature claimed that he 'served in the U.S. Air Force.' The only problem? He didn't," slams a new DNC press release set for distribution.

Dems will attempt to increase the heat on Bush ahead of his planned Tuesday address before The National Guard Association gathering in Las Vegas.

In 2000, Bush opened his National Guard Association speech: "General, I am reporting for duty."

MORE

Kerry plans to speak to the group on Thursday, but he personally hold back questioning Bush's service, sources explain.

The coordinated nationwide effort this week by the DNC has been code-named "Operation Fortunate Son."

"George Bush has a clear pattern of lying about his military service," DNC Communications Director Jano Cabrera blasts in the new release. "From 1978 to the present day, George Bush has refused to tell voters the truth about his service. It's time for the President to come clean."

"Flyers distributed to Texas voters during Bush's failed Congressional race say 'he served in the U.S. Air Force and the Texas Air National Guard.' But according to Air Force officials, Air National Guardsmen are not counted as members of the active-duty Air Force."

LeeG
09-13-2004, 09:07 AM
XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX THU FEB 12, 2004 11:45:28 ET XXXXX

CAMPAIGN DRAMA ROCKS DEMOCRATS: KERRY FIGHTS OFF MEDIA PROBE OF RECENT ALLEGED INFIDELITY, RIVALS PREDICT RUIN

**World Exclusive**
**Must Credit the DRUDGE REPORT**

A frantic behind-the-scenes drama is unfolding around Sen. John Kerry and his quest to lockup the Democratic nomination for president, the DRUDGE REPORT can reveal.

Intrigue surrounds a woman who recently fled the country, reportedly at the prodding of Kerry, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

A serious investigation of the woman and the nature of her relationship with Sen. John Kerry has been underway at TIME magazine, ABC NEWS, the WASHINGTON POST, THE HILL and the ASSOCIATED PRESS, where the woman in question once worked.

MORE

A close friend of the woman first approached a reporter late last year claiming fantastic stories -- stories that now threaten to turn the race for the presidency on its head!

In an off-the-record conversation with a dozen reporters earlier this week, General Wesley Clark plainly stated: "Kerry will implode over an intern issue." [Three reporters in attendance confirm Clark made the startling comments.]

The Kerry commotion is why Howard Dean has turned increasingly aggressive against Kerry in recent days, and is the key reason why Dean reversed his decision to drop out of the race after Wisconsin, top campaign sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

Developing...

km gresham
09-13-2004, 09:10 AM
There is a blue dress stained with clinton's DNA: Drudge. ;)

LeeG
09-13-2004, 09:28 AM
the Iraq war was started using intentional disinformation under GWs leadership. The politically correct term is group-think. ;)

km gresham
09-13-2004, 09:36 AM
:( I thought you had another comment about Drudge as a source. ;) smile.gif

LeeG
09-13-2004, 09:45 AM
You caught the association correctly,,,letting go of superficial stuff that Drudge celebrates. But some folks think lying about sex isn't superficial as it reflects on integrity in other areas.

Some folks think providing a false basis for war isn't superficial.

Clinton wasn't sending soldiers out for blow jobs and blue dresses.

Would you be willing to look at the group-think that enabled GW to blame the CIA for "bad intel"?

It's more important than events 32 yrs ago.

Look at this video,,

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/military_photos_2004713a.asp

and tell me which one of those dots is Cheneys/Rices terrist that was going to come over here to set off a mushroom cloud on the Potomac?

km gresham
09-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Maybe it's time to try earth tones. He also needs to stop keeping all his plans a secret until after the elecion.

KERRY'S 15 MINUTE PHONE INTERVIEW WITH THE NEW YORK TIMES.
nationalreview.com ^ | September 13, 2004 | Jim Geraghty

Proving the phrase "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and prove it", John Kerry apparently did a 15-minute phone interview with the New York Times. Here is a highlight:

Mr. Kerry's basic argument, that the Iraq war has diverted attention from more dangerous nations like North Korea, is one he has often used on the campaign trail and in interviews over the past several months. But his language on Sunday, calling the situation "a nuclear nightmare" and directly accusing Mr. Bush of leaving the United States more vulnerable to North Korea, was far harsher and more incendiary than the language he has used before.

It is also highly unusual for Mr. Kerry to seek out a reporter on a Sunday, when he had no public appearances scheduled, to attack Mr. Bush. This comes as Mr. Kerry and his aides, during this final 50 days of the campaign, have promised to draw more consistent and sharper contrasts to Mr. Bush in response to criticism from supporters that their message has been too weak...

When Mr. Kerry was pressed about how he would handle the threat of a North Korean nuclear test if he was in the Oval Office, he declined to be prescriptive, other than to say that the issue would probably have to be taken to the United Nations Security Council. "Hypothetical questions are not real," he said, arguing that North Korea was a case for preventive diplomacy, and that Mr. Bush's "ideologically driven" approach had kept him from truly engaging North Korea. "The Chinese are frustrated, the South Koreans, the Japanese are frustrated," he said.

All of the possibilities of what the president could face when he takes the oath of office on January 20, 2005, are hypothetical. If Kerry continues to insist, "hypothetical questions aren't real," he is basically saying he can't give American voters any idea of what he would do as President until he's sworn in.

Joe (SoCal)
09-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Karen is this a better way to open your mouth :rolleyes:

Cheney: Vote for Bush or Die

Campaigning in Iowa on Tuesday, Vice President Dick Cheney claimed that, if John Kerry was elected, America would be hit by a devastating terrorist attack. Cheney said, "It's absolutely essential that eight weeks from today, on Nov. 2, we make the right choice, because if we make the wrong choice then the danger is that we'll get hit again and we'll be hit in a way that will be devastating from the standpoint of the United States."1

Yesterday, Cheney - in a self-described effort to "clean up" the controversy over his remarks in Iowa - told the Cincinnati Enquirer, "I did not say if Kerry is elected, we will be hit by a terrorist attack."2

As Cheney's original statement makes clear, the Republicans have consciously adopted a strategy of using Americans' justifiable fear of a future terrorist attack as a political tool. For all the details, read the cover article, "Vote for Bush or Die," in this week's edition of The Nation at www.thenation.com.3 (http://www.thenation.com.3)

Sources:

"Cheney Warns of Terror Risk if Kerry Wins," New York Times, 9/08/04.

"Cheney clarifies remark about terror threat if Kerry is elected," CNN, 9/10/04.

"Vote for Bush or Die," The Nation, 9/27/04.

[ 09-13-2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

km gresham
09-13-2004, 10:43 AM
How some people (8 year olds) make political choices.
:D

Even split
"I thought you might appreciate the humor and perspective of my twin 8-year-old sons regarding the 2004 presidential election," writes Todd D. Mora, executive director of finance and operations for Comstock Public Schools in Kalamazoo, Mich.
"One of my sons said he would vote for George Bush because 'he has done the job and has experience and could do the job again.' He added that he didn't like John Kerry because his political ads interrupted his cartoons that he watches after school (yes, I'm thoroughly ashamed to admit my son watches television after school).
"My other son said he would vote for Mr. Kerry because 'he is better looking.' I asked if had any other reasons and he said 'nope.' "
The school official said he is "awestruck at how my two 8-year-olds had cut to the quick of this election year in a matter of seconds, and pundits and talking heads are going to take two more months and immeasurable hours of television to say the same thing."

•John McCaslin, whose column is nationally syndicated, can be reached at 202/636-3284 or jmccaslin@washingtontimes.com.

LeeG
09-13-2004, 10:48 AM
It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
Cheney is a smart guy with a big vision who can safely say 'Al Qeda and iraq ARE linked', confident in the righteousness of power to convey an unassailable truth while "partisan commissions" say there is no operational link. So what,,the word link is used and bombs away.
So what if Cheneys advisor David Wurmser was mining for Al Qeda/Iraq links to end run the CIA.
Bad intel is the problem, Tenet dissapears,
The righteousnous of power. Bombs away.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/

IRAQ UDPATE....We're apparently making a big push to regain control of rebel strongholds in Iraq, but so far the story is more depressing than anything else:

"This is a significant step forward where the good people of Samarra are taking control of their destiny," said Maj. Gen. John Batiste, commander of the Army's 1st Infantry Division. His troops entered the city for less than 24 hours, oversaw the selection of new civic leaders, and declared the military's intention to return to help staff checkpoints in coming days.

...."We will never give up our right to maneuver in any of our areas," said Maj. Neal O'Brien of the 1st Infantry Division, which patrols four provinces north of Baghdad.

....U.S. troops pulled out at the end of the day for lack of a secure base at which to spend the night.

Even to a military non-expert like me this seems ridiculous. We're not going to win a guerrilla war by bombing cities and then hopping in for a few hours to put on a show of electing new civic leaders. If this is the plan, we're in big trouble.

Put this together with the recent CSIS report, which appears to be pretty authoritative, and the situation in Iraq just looks grimmer and grimmer. It's not so much that things are bad in iraq, it's that things are getting worse. CSIS measured five different areas and produced charts that look like the one on the right, all of which show that things are moving in the direction of more danger, not less.

(The vertical axis is "public perception" and the horizontal axis is "events." The Viable Zone is where things are in good shape and the Iraqi public perceives them to be in good shape. The Danger Zone is where things are in bad shape and the Iraqi public perceives them to be in bad shape.)

In all five areas they studied — security, governance, economic opportunity, services, and social well-being — the trend was negative in both directions. That is, the reality is getting worse and public perception is getting worse.

So why is President Bush still ahead in the polls? Two reasons: first, most people don't yet understand how bad things are in Iraq. Second, because John Kerry hasn't said anything to make people believe he can handle the situation any better. I really wish he'd get a handle on this.

—Kevin Drum 1:26 PM Permalink | TrackBack (2) | Comments (180)

LeeG
09-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Karen, you should at least understand that you're voting for Cheney and not Bush.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=36633

km gresham
09-13-2004, 11:12 AM
They're gonna use flyers from his 1978 campaign. Why not just go back to kindergarten and get his coloring pages to see if he stayed in the lines? :rolleyes: Uh oh - I might have just given the dems an idea! :D

WASHINGTON — Democrats this week will launch a new nationwide campaign attacking the president's Air National Guard duty as more people come forward questioning the authenticity of certain documents purporting to show that a young George W. Bush shirked his military duties over 30 years ago.

The Democratic National Committee (search) will launch "Operation Fortunate Son" and will host related events in key battleground states, according to a party spokesman.

The party plans to raise questions about fliers from Bush's 1978 congressional campaign in Texas, saying he claimed to have served in the regular Air Force, not just the Guard.

Meanwhile, a woman claiming to be the daughter of Ben Barnes (search) said her father lied when he said he pulled strings to get the younger Bush into the Guard as a favor to the Bush family. Barnes has said in recent television interviews that he used his position as the then-lieutenant governor of Texas to help Bush get preferential treatment and get into the Air Guard, which was seen as a way to avoid actually serving in Vietnam.

"He told me in 2000 that he did not help Bush get into the National Guard, because I asked him during the election of 2000 when this first came out and he said no," Amy Barnes told FOX News. "And then in 2004, just about three months ago, he told me that he did and that he — in fact, he was writing a book and kind of an autobiographical book."

LeeG
09-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Faith is not another word for denial. GWs faith based, no-fault stragegy is not cute. ;)
Smear campaigns are not cute ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3652696.stm

LeeG
09-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Faith is not another word for denial. GWs faith based, no-fault stragegy is not cute. ;)
Smear campaigns are not cute ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3652696.stm

km gresham
09-13-2004, 11:34 AM
A little fun:

FLASH: Evidence has been uncovered that George W Bush colored outside the lines on his kindergarten papers. His teacher gave him passing grades, but wrote notes to herself that he was a child of a politician and therefore she had been encouraged by his little league coach to sugar coat his scores.

CBS news has received copies of said papers and they are very incriminating.

Mr. Bush has said that he was honorably promoted to the first grade and that is evidence that he performed his kindergarten duties satisfactorily.

Developing...

:D :D

LeeG
09-13-2004, 11:53 AM
http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/dumb_bomber.asp

this is not cute. ;)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-13-2004, 12:21 PM
This is not cute, either.
:mad:
"Implausible" would be a possible description:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3652174.stm

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-13-2004, 12:35 PM
WEEKLY WORLD NEWS

I HAD BIGFOOT'S SON!

Katie Murtin claims to have had an affair with a Bigfoot several years ago and she says the outcome of the relationship is little Kelly Kendall Murtin -- her furry 4-year-old son!

"Bigfoot is not only the love of my life, he's the father of my child," said the 29-year-old secretary from Seattle, Wash. "And even though I haven't seen him since our two-week fling a few summers ago, I know that he's still thinking about me, too. I could never love another man after loving him."

Miss Murtin's claims might sound farfetched but there is ample reason to believe that they are rooted in fact. For one thing, Kelly Murtin's head and face are covered with brown hair. And physicians who have conducted tests on the boy agree that his genetic makeup is only partly human and unlike anything they have ever seen.

Miss Murtin says she came face-to-face with the boy's hairy, 7-foot-6 Bigfoot father while on a solo camping trip to Mt. Rainier National Park.

"I wanted to scream or run but I couldn't because I was paralyzed with fright," said Miss Murtin. "The Bigfoot must have sensed my fear because he started to whine like a puppy. I felt like he was trying to tell me that he wouldn't hurt me. And when I looked into his face I could see compassion in his eyes."

The Bigfoot eventually stood up and trotted into the forest. But in the days that followed he returned to Miss Murtin's camp with gifts of flowers, berries and fresh fish that he apparently caught with his bare hands.

By the end of the week the creature had started sleeping at the edge of her camp. He couldn't or wouldn't speak. But Miss Murtin began to feel that they were communicating "through some sort of telepathic link."

"It wasn't communication with words. It was communication with feeling," she said. "It was like being with somebody you love and not having to say anything because you're perfectly content to be together.

"One thing led to another, but I really don't want to get into that. Suffice it to say that after we parted ways at the end of my trip I came back to Seattle and learned that I was pregnant with his baby."

Little Kelly was born nine months later. The doctor who delivered the boy was horrified to see that his face was covered with curly brown hair.

"As it turns out the baby inherited characteristics from his Bigfoot father and from me," she continued.

"He's strong and hairy like his daddy and he has artistic talent and a strong aptitude for mathematics like me.

"But the thing I'm proudest of is his emotional strength and maturity. He knows Bigfoot is his daddy and he's proud of that.

"When people crack jokes about him he just looks up at me with those big brown eyes and says, 'Mommy, they just don't understand.' "

LeeG
09-13-2004, 03:02 PM
The destruction of the Bradley by a missle so that it doesn't fall into the wrong hands,,and is a couple miles from the Green Zone would lead one to think security is dicey in Bagdad.

The surgical strike metaphors lose relevence on this scale.

Time for a new set of positive and resolute phrases out of the White HOuse.

Meerkat
09-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by LeeG:

Time for a new set of positive and resolute phrases out of the White HOuse.Well, at least talk is cheap. No wonder they spend words like drunkards and with as little regard.

LeeG
09-13-2004, 03:15 PM
In the right hands at the right time one can move a lot of people with talk.

WMD and known unknowns bring freedom and liberation. War is peace.

Kev Smyth
09-13-2004, 03:48 PM
The Associated Press focused on the suspicion first voiced by a blogger on the Web site Freerepublic.com about modern "superscripts" that include a raised th after a number. CBS, on the defense, claimed that "some models" of typewriters of the 70's could do that trick, and some Texas Air National Guard documents released by the White House included it.

"That superscript, however," countered The A.P., "is in a different typeface than the one used for the CBS memos." It consulted the document examiner Sandra Ramsey Lines of Paradise Valley, Ariz., and reported "she could testify in court that, beyond a reasonable doubt, her opinion was that the memos were written on a computer."