PDA

View Full Version : Home made keel protector.

Biofish
03-20-2002, 09:40 PM
I know we have touched on this subject a few days ago.. but i thought it needed a new thread.

So.. my question. I have looked at these keel guards currently available for sale.. there is no way i am going to pay $150 or more for a piece of hard plastic. Is there anyway to make this out of PVC or other materials.?? We are the "d0-it-yourself'ers".. We should be able to come up with somthing.! Besides adding extra layers of fiber or wood, can anyone think of anything at all... Let's brainstorm.!!!
My boat will be the Ginnie-pig.. (sp?)

Rob tongue.gif

jeff pierce
03-20-2002, 11:10 PM
I just added a strip of metal to the bottom of the keel, bedded in some goop (I forget which one) and screwed in place. I used aluminum (gasp) which I know is not the greatest choice for below the waterline. However, I consider it sacrificial, the boat will be trailered when not in use, and it was easy to drill, countersink and even contour the ends. If it corrodes away real quickly, I'll say it was supposed to be a sacrificial anode (kinda like a zinc, but a little less effective) :D .

Tom Dugan
03-21-2002, 09:53 AM
What's wrong with sacrificial white oak strips? Bedded in Dolphinite or some similar compound, it's pretty traditional.

-T

SailBoatDude
03-21-2002, 06:33 PM
PVC pipe can be heated with a heat gun and shaped easily. Slit it in a table saw, heat it up and open her up a bit, then move on to shaping. Though I'd still use metal.

rainy27
03-22-2002, 12:47 PM
Forgive me for asking but what kind of a boat are we talking about here? and what kind of conditions are we protecting against?

Roger Stouff
03-22-2002, 01:52 PM
Rob,
If you're talking about Zip, I used stainless steel half-oval from the top of the stem down about to the first frame forward. You could continue it all the way aft, if you wanted.

Best,
R