PDA

View Full Version : I'm a wimp

Paul Frederiksen
08-03-2001, 01:18 AM
I couldn't resist, its not my fault, it was just too tempting. I took Adagio out on her maiden voyage before I finised the cabin joinery. Yeah I know, I just said a month ago that I was not going to rush ahead but my addiction got the better of me.

So, all in all we had a good first shakedown cruise. The boat, an Eun Mara designed by Ian Oughtred, is truely a credit to the genius of the designer. The helm is perfectly balanced, she steers herself like a pro, heaves to without hunting back and forth or wandering around, and points to about 45 degrees at full speed. If pinched she will point as high as 38 degrees but looses about 30 percent of her speed and begins to make a bit more leeway. With a drop down extension to the rudder and two swing down bilge boards it is easy to dial in a nice balance to the helm in any wind condition.

Weaknesses include too much head stay sag and a cumbersome mizzen arrangement. I will also have to go to two part purchase on throat and peak halyards to gain the leverage needed to trim the main properly. The latter is my fault as the plans called for two part purchase but I used a single block because I figured I was strong enough. Turns out I am not when the main is loaded up. The trailer needs adjustments as it took four tries to get her out of the water straight.

I took lots of pictures and will post some as soon as I get them developed.

I want to thank everybody here who offered help, inspiration, and suggestions during the building process. Your assistance was invaluable and there is a little of all of you woven into Adagio.

See ya on the water,

Paul Frederiksen

PugetSound
08-03-2001, 01:42 AM
Congratulations! Looking forward to the pictures. What were the wind conditions you sailed her in?

John B
08-03-2001, 01:48 AM
Congratulations Paul.
Hang fire on changing the block arrangement for a sail or two if I were you. I set a 600 ft main with 2:1 halyards and yes ,I don't trim the halyards when sailing , but you can if you give it a luff. I did it that way because it saved me about oooo another 30 odd metres of line lying around.

Love to see the photos.

Andrew
08-03-2001, 08:47 AM
Congratulations! I've been waiting to see final photos also.

ishmael
08-03-2001, 08:55 AM
Best Paul. And any man(or woman) who can get a craft from plan to water, is no whimp in my book.

Jack

NormMessinger
08-03-2001, 08:55 AM
Fantastic! I feel a little of the vicarious euphoria from reading your report and look forward to seeing the pictures.

Joy to you and your family.

--Norm

Scott Rosen
08-03-2001, 09:28 AM
Congratulations and all that.

But now that this boat is ancient history, tell us what you're going to build next. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

Ian McColgin
08-03-2001, 09:29 AM
Perhaps you've graduated to real membership in the

World
Institute of
Maritime
Perfection

Welcome aboard

dasboat
08-03-2001, 09:32 AM
Good going Paul.
The last I remember you and your neighbors were turning her or?,and that was not too long ago.
Where did you shake her down?
Dasboat

Matt J.
08-03-2001, 10:43 AM
Congratulations, Paul! That's gotta be a great feeling. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

ken mcclure
08-03-2001, 11:10 AM
Heartiest congrats! You've GOTTA feel good.

I can't wait to see the pictures ... my Eun Mara project is in stays until I get some other business (and home) stuff handled.

Ed Harrow
08-03-2001, 12:36 PM
Hey, way to go! Congrats Paul.

BrianCunningham
08-03-2001, 03:45 PM
Congratulations!

Paul Frederiksen
08-04-2001, 12:07 AM
The maiden voyage was at Folsom lake in 5 to 15 mph winds no current and lots of jet skis. I am taking her out tomorrow to Carquinez straits, which is a notorius wind tunnel with wicked currents, to see what she is really made of winds should be 25-30 mph current 3-4 knots, long and narrow with two bridges. Should be tons of fun. Pics will follow shortly.

On the subject of next boats I was only about half way through this one when I was already dreaming of my next one. I really want to make a classy river boat for the Sacramento river scene. Everybody is out socializing (read partying) on their bass boats, ski boats, and great big tubs, all of which are the wrong boat for the river and what they all use them for. I want to rip off the Brittish and make a long narrow shallow launch with a classy canopy and such. Show em how to do it right.

ken mcclure
08-04-2001, 10:07 AM
That's scary. Like minds, and all that.

Take a look at Classic Boat for ads from a couple of yards that build not only the classic launches but slipper launches and the like.

I've looked for a couple years and haven't found much in the way of complete plans for river launches, but there are several launch plans out there and you'd have to design the cabin yourself.

Jeff Kelety
08-04-2001, 10:37 AM
Wunnerful, Paul! A toast to the galantry of wimps everywhere. Good sailing to ya.

jgk

Rich VanValkenburg
08-04-2001, 12:32 PM
Congratulations, Paul. And only a wimp stays tied to his mooring.

dasboat
08-04-2001, 02:19 PM
Thought it might be of interest to see where Paul will be.
Forcast:70deg.,wind 12 /16 kts.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1752436&a=13504815&p=52528475
Dasboat