PDA

View Full Version : The Messiah....... Enduring music

J. Dillon
12-11-2004, 09:10 PM
For me the holiday season doesn't begin untill I hear this great work performed live. smile.gif Fortunately I live in an area where one can pick and choose which version I attend. :cool: (New Haven CT.) incidentally the birth place of our president although he doesn't like to admit it. ;)

What music sets you off on the start of this season ?

http://www.psg.com/~patf/bach/messiah.html

Leon m
12-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Rudolph the Red Nosed Raindeer :D

NormMessinger
12-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Right! Secular music at Christmas sets me off too. The really awesome sounds require the backing of the religious myths.

McB
12-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by NormMessinger:
Right! Secular music at Christmas sets me off too. The really awesome sounds require the backing of the religious myths.If this were true we would have some great Darwinian Worship Music. Alas, just like the "missing links" they are no were to be found.

imported_Steven Bauer
12-11-2004, 09:47 PM
I had a music teacher who got very annoyed when you called it 'The Messiah'. He said it was just Handel's 'Messiah'. Man was he a crotchety old so and so. Fantastic work, though.

Steven

mmd
12-11-2004, 10:57 PM
The Nutcracker Suite

John Bell
12-11-2004, 11:08 PM
My favorite melody of the Christmas season is the Wexford Carol. Never heard it sung, but I've got a couple of instrumental versions that are simply beautiful.

Keith Wilson
12-11-2004, 11:12 PM
This afternoon I went to a performance of the Messiah where there was a small orchestra and the four soloists, and the audience sang the choruses. They handed out scores at the door; sort of a pick-up choir. Fortunately there were four or five people in each section who knew their parts really well, so they could hold the rest of us together. It had been at least four years since I last sang it. I was pleasantly surprised how much I remembered, although I was completely hopeless with the coloratura stuff; I can't read that fast. Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and surprisingly we didn't sound bad at all.

Bruce Hooke
12-11-2004, 11:46 PM
When I was in college, before I left my room to take the final exam before Christmas break I would queue up the Hallelujah Chorus, so that when I got back from taking the exam I could just hit the play button on my tape player and celebrate! :D

Some of my other favorites (to sing) include:
- O Come, All Ye Faithful
- 'Twas in the Moon of Wintertime
- Who's Knocking There
- The Boars Head Carol
- Gloucestershire Wassail

and many, many others...

Norske3
12-12-2004, 04:05 AM
Amazing how the human mind "happened" ....to "enable itself" to create sounds that enable itself to enjoy... :D

At what point in time did the mindless evolution of the human brain stop and human reason of itself begin to function....? :confused:

[ 12-12-2004, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: Norske3 ]

Phillip Allen
12-12-2004, 06:20 AM
All of it! (but I particularly like Christmas Bells)

NormMessinger
12-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Once a Methodist always a Methodist, McB, or so I've been told. That's me, except for the God part. Handel knew how to get the ole synapses to fire, electro/chemical responses at their best.

McB
12-12-2004, 09:26 AM
Norm, finding a "Christian" at this time of the year is easy. Finding a Gentleman any time is hard, so it is always good to read your post's even when I disagree with them. smile.gif

Bruce Hooke
12-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Norske3:
Amazing how the human mind "happened" ....to "enable itself" to create sounds that enable itself to enjoy... :D

At what point in time did the mindless evolution of the human brain stop and human reason of itself begin to function....? :confused: I saw a program on TV a while back that talked about the point at which our ancestors became truly human. The two things they sited were advanced tool use, and the creation of art! However, we keep finding more and more examples of tool use in the animal world, so maybe it just comes down to art. I have yet to hear about a wild animal that creates art.

htom
12-12-2004, 11:51 PM
We went to the Dakota County Symphany Singalong Messiah Friday night and had a great time. I've done this many times over the years (to different places) and this time finally managed to get Spice to come with me. Instantly addicted. ;)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
12-13-2004, 06:32 AM
I'm sure y'all know the Middle English lyric "Sumer is icumen in"

You may not know this seasonal variation:

Winter is Icummen in
(Ezra Pound)

Winter is icummen in,
Lhude sing Goddamm,
Raineth drop and staineth slop
And how the wind doth ramm!
Sing: Goddamm.
Skiddeth bus and sloppeth us,
An ague hath my ham.
Freezeth river, turneth liver
Damn you, sing: Goddamm.
Goddamm, Goddamm, tis why I am,
Goddamm.
So 'gainst the winter's balm
Sing Goddamm, damm, sing Goddamm
Sing Goddamm, sing Goddamm,
DAMM.

TomF
12-13-2004, 12:30 PM
Lhude sing, cuccu!

Keith Wilson
12-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Andrew, if you happen to be in St. Paul this Sunday afternoon, (not likely, I realize ;) ) we're performing "Lhude Sing Godamm". It's a spectacle you'll never forget, although you will perhaps wish you could. :D

imported_Steven Bauer
12-24-2004, 02:25 PM
I'm listening right now to 'The Downtown Messiah', Wow! Check it out on www.mainepublicradio.org (http://www.mainepublicradio.org)

Steven

imported_Steven Bauer
12-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Go here (http://www.wfuv.org/messiah/img/finale03.jpg) for more info, it might be broadcast near you.

Meerkat
12-24-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by mmd:
The Nutcracker SuiteDit... errr... d'acord! ;) smile.gif