PDA

View Full Version : Mother of a Spud Gun

ion barnes
09-23-2003, 01:27 AM
It was reported in a local newspaper, in topics from around the world, that "an electrician and mechanic from Ellettsville, Indiana, has built a contraption that looks like a mobile anti-aircraft gun. Its a canon for shooting pumpkins into the wild blue yonder. The canon has a 30 foot long barrel and is powered by a 700 gallon air tank. When he fires it, a 10 pound pumpkin is hit with 11,300 pounds of force. The electrician, Jim Bristoe, intends to enter it in a pumpkin propultion contest sponsored by an Indiana radio station."

Shang
09-23-2003, 09:50 AM
To uphold the honor of the WB Misc.Non-BoatRelated team I'll offer the below deck gun from my Chris...Someone else bring the pumpkins...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid7/pc94d200ed660364cef9b2e92a8a6de8d/fe2c8a37.jpg

LeeG
09-23-2003, 10:24 AM
that fellow needs to get to Delaware for the Pumpkin' Chuckin' Contest this fall.

skuthorp
09-24-2003, 05:55 AM
Would that be a "weapon of squash destruction"?
:D :D :rolleyes:

TimH
09-24-2003, 01:52 PM
WOW! now thats funny :D

those crazy Brits!

John Blazy
09-24-2003, 02:41 PM
You haven't lived til you blast holes through plywood with golfballs from your black powder cannon you made in high school and told the pushover shop teacher that it was a candle holder as you are boring a 1-3/4" ID hole down the center of a twelve pound chunk of steel. Then he saw me bore a 1/8" DIA touch hole, and just shook his head and asked, "If thats just a candle holder, then why are you boring a touchhole?" - can't remember what I said next.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/pc37601775ef59721c7b71fda82a45ef3/faffe048.jpg
Since then, such a long time ago, I've run at least five lbs of black powder and who knows how many golfballs through it. I even started a stampede at a horse farm next door to a cross-country race I started.

Shang
09-24-2003, 03:00 PM
"...You haven't lived til you blast holes through plywood with...your black powder cannon you made in high school... --John Blazy

I too have lived (by the grace of Fate)...my shop-made black powder cannon was a .50 cal. bore. Somewhere I have a night photo similar to yours, I am almost visible through the muzzle-flash (I hid this photo from my own son while he was growing up--someday I'll tell you about how close he came to getting busted for building a laboratory gizmo called "The Biolistic Device," which uses explosives to fire DNA into cells...).

Ed Harrow
09-24-2003, 03:03 PM
Geez, John, I thought I was dangerous...
somewhere I have a picture(s) of a NASA* cannon. Most impressive.

*National Association of Squash Artillary.

John Blazy
09-25-2003, 01:43 AM
Hilarius contributions Bob!
Where'd you get that top cannon Shang? Do you use it against pirates, or USCG? You gave me an idea, just to bolster Ed's notion of me. Since I just finished my boat, I think I'll look for an opportunity to blow some golfballs off the gunwhale to truly break it in.