PDA

View Full Version : interior renovations

jwaldin
12-17-2003, 07:42 PM
I'm inspired by a recent post regarding major renovations to what was probably a quite acceptable boat interior, to share the story of a distant relatives' decision to make some changes to his 'land yacht'.
Picture a Mercedes 1958 180D in good nick.
Because he needed to live in it he thought some interior changes would be helpful.
Realize that this was the car he also had to get around in day to day.
First remove the passenger seat. This will make room for the food stores. Next get rid of the back seat. Install a sort of sette/come bed. This can add a feeling of spaciousness while providing a 'girl magnet' space. The final touch was to pull out the drivers seat and replace it with sort of a thick cushion that could do double duty as the drivers seat and when required part of the 'boudoir' in the back.
Oh yes, it happened.
That was 30 years ago. He's still trolling. I think he's moved up to an 'all found' Chevy van.

On Vacation
12-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Renovations in boats requires a lot of work in place, instead of offsite fabrication, in a boat. This could not be good, if unfamiliar with issues pertaining to structual needs and green to fitting parts in a boat. I find personal tastes sometimes has a way to skew guildlines that may effect structure, performance and safety in upgrades.

I err on the side of caution, especially from the miles that exist in that situation. In the not so distant past, I was warned to forgo comments on many structual upgrades and design modification changes, when it came to questionable issues, pertaining to forum questions.

[ 12-17-2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Oyster ]